FrogNog

Singer 29-4?

Could you do harness work with a Singer 29-4?

I just got one for some webbing work that will not be life-or-death in anywhere near the way skydiving is. (Basically I'll be doing some cargo nets for a van, and I might do some scuba stuff. Who knows - maybe I'll make a pair of shoes. ;)

I was just wondering what capabilities, characteristics, or qualities separated a Singer 29 from a Singer 7 series. (Besides the treadle - I get that part. :P)

Plus also I felt I hadn't asked a weird question in kind of a while...

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

The manual says it handles up to size 23 needle. This only takes Size FF thread. 3 cord needs a 24-26 and 5 or 6 cord used for harnesses needs a 28.

So based on that, nope. Also not sure that feed system would work very well. Haven't used one.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I see. So, does that mean that the left column of the table on page 4.048 in my Poynter's Parachute Manual is the Singer needle size? If so, that's handy.

I guess I'll have to stick with working on lighter-duty webbing. And shoes. I will keep an eye out for that elusive local bargain 7-31. ;)

And the feed on the 29-4 is done by the presser foot lifting and hopping forward on the work while the needle makes an odd little second downstroke, I believe. The foot then pulls back to its normal position after the needle has raised. (No feed parts below the work.) It's not the strongest pull, but it can feed in any direction the operator selects by rotating the foot alignment collar thingie. Nice to have a machine that you could set to feed the work straight toward you, huh?

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I knew it fed with the presser foot. Does it have 'teeth' on the bottom of the foot? I think on ebay I've seen a flat table for it. I'd worry some about the cylinder bed putting a curve into a webbing junction as you sew it. But I've never tried one.

Yep, left hand column is needle size.;) But don't tell anyone.

I've done "cargo net" kind of stuff as well as making toggles and lots of other work on a home machine with an 18 needle and e thread. Of course I've also worn out 2.5 home machines doing it. Got my 7 class for $1700 after a guy reniged on the asking price of $1500. Second best deal I've ever seen.

There was an ebay auction for a like new Consew 7 class with reverse that I posted a few weeks ago. Think someone picked it up for $2000. Best deal I've ever seen. There's a place in Ohio that advertises in Skydiving that sells reconditioned Singer 7 class with high foot lift and reverse added for $3500 and will add those items to yours for something like $850. Also the military surplus auction website has them from time to time. They usually get bid up but not has high as retail.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The skinny round bed is actually flat on top. The machine will accept a wooden table with a slot cut in it (which I don't have) to pretend like it has a flat bed.

The foot does have some ridges on the bottom of it, but I think the machine is fairly dependent on not having to fight very hard to feed the work.

From the start, I was concerned about being able to make the box stitch patterns correctly due to the feed strength. It would probably be one of those things where I could do it if I concentrated, but I would sweat every stitch. ;) Good way to start out, though, I suppose.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.