Slappie

Ok seriously how do you eat right?

I've always been a eat anything never gain a lb. person. Well I think this last year my metabolism took a dump. I've put on a lot of unwanted weight.

I'm not looking for a diet.. well not in a diet sense anyways. I just want to know if anyone has an easy to understand "KISS" site or some access to information no one is trying to get rich off of.

I don't over eat, I think it's what I eat. Plus when I quit smoking it got worse.

Doctor: You need to quit smoking or you're going to die of heart disease
Me: Ok sure I can handle that *cough*

1 year later...

Doctor: You need to lose some weight and lower your cholesteral, or you're going to die of heart disease.
Me: *sigh* only thing I changed was I quit smoking? I was ok except for smoking. Now you tell me this? $@^$@^

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Do you snack a lot during the day? What I did when I felt that I wasn't eating right was to cut out all the little snacks I was grabbing though out the day. They really do add up. Now I am pretty much on 3 meals a day with 1 small snack at night.

For most, the opposite seems to work better. Grazing throughout the day keeps the body from attackign muscles for energy. It also prevents the ravenous hunger that people get, which causes them to eat huge amounts for dinner, etc.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Eat stuff with bulk. I snack on Shredded wheat (or shredded wheat and bran) squares, apples, and carrots. Whole wheat bread. Fresh veggies. whole grain rice, potatoes with the skins on. Meat, but not to the exclusion of other stuff.

Saute in not much oil, cook in not much oil. Plenty of grilling, plenty of onion (love onion).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I imagine part of the reason your metabolism took a dive is because you quite smoking... (now I'm not suggesting you take it up again... :P) but in addition to eating several small meals a day (which is essentially what lawrocket is talking about...) in order to lose weight or maintain weight is to have the total calories in must be less then or equal to the total calories out.

you can do things like walk more... take up bicycling... running... you get the idea...

unfortunately generally after you turn 30... your metabolism starts to decrease... (which is something I'm struggling with... :S)

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

run your fat ass around the block 3 times a week and keep eating how you do now. Problem solved

I'll have you know my ass isn't fat, it's the spare tire I'm carrying around my waist.

I've recently bought a new bike. Working out isn't in the cards. I've never enjoyed going to the gym.. ever.

I'm taking note of the real answers and plotting revenge >:( against the smartasses. :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

1. Get an ingrown nose hair.

2. Take antibiotics.

3. Stop drinking beer.

4. Lose weight.

Presto!

HAHA I was at 192 before that, now I'm hovering around 198. I've not drank beer in 10 days!!

This time last year I was 170-175 :(

I agree with Lawrocket. You should eat 4-6 small meals throughout the day. This will help maintain your energy levels, and keep your metabolism high.

I suggest getting rid of all the processed foods in your house, and make an effort to commit to buying healthy foods.
Always start shopping in the produce aisle, filling up on different colors of fruits and vegetables. Then, stock up on lean proteins, such as leaner cuts of beef, fish, etc.
Replace the white bread crap in your house with whole wheat, whole grain bread. I recommend that each slice have at least 3 grams of fiber. Always check labels.;)

My advice to you Slappie: Eat a RAINBOW! :):D:P
( you're not really going to take my advice are ya!!!):P

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I was being serious.

I wouldn't say I was putting on weight, but I was not happy with my spare tire. I was working out 5 times a week. Still there. So I throw in some cardio, bike mainly. Still there. So I decide to start eating better and keep up the workout. Still there. Then I start to run. What is that, did I loose some weight? I should weight myself. But don't. Continue to run. Finally get on a scale and low and behold I've shed approximately 5-7 pounds since running began.

Also, since the midsection is usually the first place you gain weight it is the last place you will loose it. I can attest to this very much.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

HAHA I was at 192 before that, now I'm hovering around 198. I've not drank beer in 10 days!!

This time last year I was 170-175 :(

Weird. A couple of years ago I managed to go from 175 to 190 within a few months for no obvious reason. So I cut back on the beer during the week and only allowed myself beer on weekends. Using only that, and no extra excercise, within 2 months I was back down to 180.

Of course, once I proved to myself I could do it, I started drinking again. :S

yeah, what windcatcher said.

I think most people need to learn how to cook vegetable properly, so that you'll eat more of them.

Lots of people use veggies as an afterthought: They just boil them, usually overcooking them, then plop maybe a tablespoon of them on their plate. Then they don't know how to season them, so they just put a pat of butter or maybe some salt & pepper on them. BOOOOOORRRIIIIIING!!!

Learn to cook vegetables PROPERLY so that they'll be good to eat & you'll voluntarily make them a bigger part of your diet.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I'll have to look into this running thing. I havent' ran since highschool or that time I was chased across campus in my underware. Nother story nother time :ph34r:

Yeah, I don't run unless there's an axe-wielding murderer behind me. Which hasn't happened so far, so...

I'm having a hard time with the eating right thing too Slappie. I've been working out regularly and can see and feel the difference in my muscle tone and endurance, but it's the damn diet that's keeping the insulative layers on...

Well, that and Newcastle. :$:D

Plus the damn office supply closet is chock full of treats.

One thing I'm going to work on is drinking more water. You should try that too. :)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I didn't start running until I was nearly 25... and I meand I didn't start (I never liked running) and to occupy myself I used to juggle while I ran... (at least until running for the run itself was enough to motivate me...)

I lost about 15 lbs in the 1st month.. then gradually lost another 15-25 over the next 6-8 months

the to spice things up I took up rowing... which really pushed my wieght down...

when I'm fit I hover around 155-160... when I'm out of shape I usually carry another 5-10 lbs... (in the midsection) and am closer to 165-170...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Cut fast food out of your diet and you will see an extreme difference. Also change simple things, like ordering a kids meal instead of a huge meal that comes with way too much food... or get wheat bread instead of white. Eat more fish instead of red meat and drink tons of water! I started doing that last summer and in 6 months i went from 150 to 125 lbs.... good luck!

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

Rebecca I drink a lot of water. I'm not someone who drinks a lot of soda. If I'm drinking a soda it's diet.

It's going to be the diet, the cooking more sensible. Hamburger Helpers be damned. Just so many hours in a day to do stuff.

Example:

6-9am = coffee then it's to the water

10'ish = snack - Tricuits or some pretzels - water

11:30'ish - lunch normally a soup & sandwich w/chips - water

1:30 - fit the urge to sleep :( this energy drop kicks my ass and I HATE IT.

3 or 4 - small sweet snack to boost energy & soda or water

6 or 6:30 - dinner normaly a quick dinner, protien, veg & a starch - milk or soda then back to water

(When drinking beer, it's skip dinner & popcorn and drink lots of water before bed)

9'ish a bag of microwave popcorn split 2 sometimes 3 ways.

As you can see it's really not a huge gorgefest. I'm not eating white bread it's normally always honey wheat or the 100% wheat. Grrrrrrrrrr.. I just dont understand it. I also take a multi-vitamin every other day. When I was taking it everyday I noticed I was using the restroom a lot to shed the unused B12.