Kentiy

velo-2

Might want to keep an eye on the World Cup in Sydney - several of those canopies will be used in that competition (if it ever stops raining ;) ).

It is now in final phases of testing and we expect to be ready to introduce it to qualified pilots before too long :)
I do want to emphasize that this is a canopy for highly experienced and dedicated canopy pilots - this is not a canopy that we expect to see go mainstream.
As you put it - a swoop machine.

Blue ones,
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir
Blue Skies Magazine

I do want to emphasize that this is a canopy for highly experienced and dedicated canopy pilots - this is not a canopy that we expect to see go mainstream.

I don't think so. Any manufacturer would want to get their R&D money/investment back...

Sure, but that doesn't have to come directly from canopy sales.

Getting a few qualified pilots under the fastest wing is going to build brand awareness, like they have in the car world where you have "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday." At least part of Audi's growth has to be attributed to the R8.

Engineering exercises produce knowledge that gets applied to building other products. Elliptical planforms provide lower touch down speeds and increased control sensitivity. While first introduced on high-performance wings (Stiletto, Blue Track), those planforms have found their way all the way down to student gear (the Navigator)

I don't think so. Any manufacturer would want to get their R&D money/investment back...

Wow, what rude statement to a PD representative. You just called her a liar. >:(

You do realize that Kolla works for PD, right? I think she knows what she's talking about ;)

So Kolla, what do I need to do to try one of these out? :P
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

For now, I think this canopy will pay us back in other ways than direct sales. Every project like this one is an incredible learning experience for the company, that pays us back indirectly when we go to develop other products or materials.

For now I think you will see mostly the top pilots flying this canopy and several of them have some form of sponsor relationship with us - so they aren't going to bring us their wallets :P
But, the sport of canopy piloting is gaining momentum, so maybe we will one day manage to make our R&D money back.
In the meantime, we will look at it as one of those "pay it forward" things. It helps us continue to learn and helps the guys (and gals) flying the canopy to excel at what they love doing.

Blue Skies Magazine

Hey Ari,

I think it's best if you spend a few more jumps with that Navigator, I think your landings are really improving!! :D

All kidding aside, be patient a little while longer, bake me a few more cookies and we will see what happens ;)

Bloooos!!
kolla

Blue Skies Magazine

I just can't stay current enough on the Navigator; it's too big to bring into the tunnel :ph34r:

I can definitely bring more cookies ;)

I hope the weather starts cooperating in Sydney. I want to see how the PD boys do on the velo 2 :)

Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Having watched some people that have that canopy fly it, I can tell you its HOT. Then again, those guys (and girl) would fly the piss out of a old Coe-d and make it look like a hot swooping canopy.

I'm with you, I'm impatiently waiting, and hoping they release the "bigboy" sizes too (preferably a 111).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As you put it - a swoop machine.

Blue ones,
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir

Wasn't the same said about the stiletto and Velo 1? Still there's some unexperienced hot-shot dumbasses out there slobering for it to be released I guess [:/]

But from another view, I can't wait to see (if possible) the difference and what kind of improvements that have been incorporated and how it flies! I've been waiting for this to happens recently, because I know that during 10 years a lot of new stuff is learned. I hope the PD boyz are bringing them over to norway next year =D
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Yep - same thing was said, and will be said, every time we take a step up in performance.
There will always be those that get a little ahead of themselves, but we must do what we can to look after each other.

With proper coaching & training people are definitely getting to high performance levels faster than ever before - but I REALLY hope that jumpers keep in mind that experience comes over time, not just jump numbers. We will do our best as a manufacturer to educate our dealers & customers about the canopy. Guys like the PD Factory Team & Fastrax will help spread the knowledge.

And the PD Factory Team has already brought those canopies to Norway - just a little bit under cover at the time ;) - I'm sure you will see them again next year!

Blue Skies Magazine

It is now in final phases of testing and we expect to be ready to introduce it to qualified pilots before too long :)

I've got a velo 103 and I'm planning on buying a 96 before too long. Should I wait for this new thing, or just go with the old Velocity?

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Hey Ted,

Well - it really depends on what you want out of the canopy. This thing will come "swoop ready" standard, with 300 HMA lines etc.
So - if you are planning on freefall, I would say stick with the standard Velocity, it might fit your all-around needs better.

If however, you want a dedicated swoop canopy, the new one is going to be more up your alley.

And I guess I can tell you that we won't be calling it a Velo2.... B|

Blue Skies Magazine

You'll probably want to get a regular velocity.

The new one comes with 300 HMA and an rds.

I dont believe there are plans to line it with 500 hma at this stage, it's just not what it's designed to do. 300 HMA means much higher line breakage chance as well as significantly higher maintenance costs and regular relines.

edit: Kolla beat me to the punch ;)

Blues,
Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

Well - it really depends on what you want out of the canopy. This thing will come "swoop ready" standard, with 300 HMA lines etc.
So - if you are planning on freefall, I would say stick with the standard Velocity, it might fit your all-around needs better.

I need a canopy for working/video, freefall/freefly/etc, and team training, so I guess the classic version will be for me. Thanks Kolla.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.