norcalbaker

What would you pay for a 1998 javelin j3 w/ 600 jumps?

with a pisa hornet 170 and a tempo 170, DOM for both is 2001, thanks for any advice

1100-1500 USD depending on condition, colors and options (articulation, veclro needing replacement, etc).

once you get it you may end up spending more money to put a larger/domed slider on the hornet to tame the openings.

Older hornets can be tamed by rolling the four nose cells on each side and stuffing them into the center cell. Free fix, and it makes the hornet open like a pilot. :ph34r: But he would be getting a later year hornet so it will already have the larger slider and it should open great.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

with a pisa hornet 170 and a tempo 170, no rides, DOM for both is 2001, i just graduated AFF, now i have 15 jumps and am looking for an inexpensive first rig

thanks for any advice

BLUE SKIES

I wouldnt, save longer and get a $3,000 used rig.

A hornet compared to a pilot, yup thats about right;););) no matter how the openings are.:o:o:S:S:):)

Or buy a new Javelin, anticipate what you will be jumping and buy used canopies, talk to a rigger, instructor, or your local gear store.

Yes I said that DougH,;););) But you got a deal,,yes?

I think so! You think so too, that is why you had the sucker in a container in the basement, instead of in your container heading for the basement.:D

I think they outfly a pilot any day, but I love both canopies though, especially for new jumpers. Just don't over pay for a used hornet!:P

As far as the new container and used canopies, why? The price for a new container is going to come close to what he might get for a whole used package. This may not be the deal for him, but he really doesn't need to spend three grand.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Most comtainers will allow for one up or one down for the main, so if he knows he will be in say a 150 then build it for that and stuff the 170 in it till ready. There are other things to consider of course, but this way he always a comfortable worry free container. Gosh: 3k glad I havent had to buy new containers in 6 years (yet I have had 7 in that time period:S). Probably closer to 2200 or 2400 isnt it these days. I know Sun Path just had an increase but have the others followed yet?

And your right, the hornet does fly nice.

Older hornets can be tamed by rolling the four nose cells on each side and stuffing them into the center cell.

Ummm..... where are the four nose cells? Is that the center cell and the 2 cells on the right and the left plus a random cell on either the right or the left? :S
Owned by Remi #?

plenty of other used great rigs that are better than javelin: vector 3, mirage, voodoo, wings, newer infinity. B| i srtained myself a little

Uh ooh, another no named newbie giving advice? :S;):P:)Oh and you are attempting to compare a 98 Javelin to new equipment?

let me guess, you bought the first thing your instructor convinced you to buy and now you are an expert????? Became a rigger cause pack jobs were to expensive. Either that or you dont know comfort?:o:)

Serioulsy, buy what feels good on your back and is curent and safe.

Cant remember the last time I saw a 1998 mirage, infinity, or voodoo. Oh wait, there are more used javelins on the market cause their rig sucks, nobody bought them since 1989 so therefore you cant find a used one today?B|

or maybe your a douche and I have had a javelin and did not like it, amoung others around me. Maybe I wanted the knowledge so i became a rigger. Maybe I have used most to all rigs mentioned and know how they act. Or maybe I am an idiot as you may suspect, ass.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Most comtainers will allow for one up or one down for the main, so if he knows he will be in say a 150 then build it for that and stuff the 170 in it till ready. There are other things to consider of course

Yeah, like the fact that overstuffed rigs look like shit and the fact that packing 170 sq ft of slippery snot into a bag designed to hold 150 sq ft of slippery snot isn't much fun (especially for those who don't know who to pack yet), which in and of itself can and has led to people downsizing prior to their skills being ready for it.

But it can be fun to watch and listen to some poor newbie struggling far more than is necessary to pack their main...

Most comtainers will allow for one up or one down for the main, so if he knows he will be in say a 150 then build it for that and stuff the 170 in it till ready. There are other things to consider of course

Yeah, like the fact that overstuffed rigs look like shit and the fact that packing 170 sq ft of slippery snot into a bag designed to hold 150 sq ft of slippery snot isn't much fun (especially for those who don't know who to pack yet), which in and of itself can and has led to people downsizing prior to their skills being ready for it.

But it can be fun to watch and listen to some poor newbie struggling far more than is necessary to pack their main...

may i assume when you say slippery you are referring to new canopies, i was suggesting used (may not of actually said that though:S)

I also suggested talking to a rigger, instructor etc, thus getting proper guidance on which canopy.
Yes "overstuffed" rigs do look like shit and can affect functionality as well. I have always found that two sizes up gets in the "overstuffed" category not one.

Again my thoughts are based on most rigs and usually only the larger containers

not suggesting to downsize prematurely

I probably should not post past 1am anymore:S

OT:
I know only one rig that allow more then 2 steps up or down, the Atom from PdF, still also one of the first velcroless, if i remember correctly.

Yeah, more than one is really pushing it. More rigs today are becoming more canopy "specific" so tolerance is limited.

The new Odyssey only has velcro on the reserve and cutaway handles and a small piece for the SkyHook. Not even one for the bridle at the closing flap anymore. So no exposed velcro, its about time for rigs to get rid of velcro.

J

OT:
I know only one rig that allow more then 2 steps up or down, the Atom from PdF, still also one of the first velcroless, if i remember correctly.

Yeah, more than one is really pushing it. More rigs today are becoming more canopy "specific" so tolerance is limited.

The new Odyssey only has velcro on the reserve and cutaway handles and a small piece for the SkyHook. Not even one for the bridle at the closing flap anymore. So no exposed velcro, its about time for rigs to get rid of velcro.

J

Design one then hotshot:D Seriously, comparing rigs is like comparing automobiles. There isn't a best rig out there just a best rig for you. Saying one rig is a piece of shit is kinda arrogant. Mepersonally, having jumped 4 main manufacturers, prefer the Javelin. Is the javelin the best out there. It is for me. So before you take the idiots on here bashing different containers. Try a few out for yourself
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?