kelel01

What to put in a statement of purpose?

I have to start writing my statement of purpose for nursing schools. Most schools only want 1 page. Any ideas?

I do have some specific goals, but I think they'll sound like lies if I put them in there - like doctors w/o borders, etc. Also, it's hard to say what kind of nurse I want to be without experiencing the disciplines first. Should I say what I currently am leaning toward?

I have to start writing my statement of purpose for nursing schools. Most schools only want 1 page. Any ideas?

I do have some specific goals, but I think they'll sound like lies if I put them in there - like doctors w/o borders, etc. Also, it's hard to say what kind of nurse I want to be without experiencing the disciplines first. Should I say what I currently am leaning toward?

Here ya' go:

"As far back as I can remember, I have always wanted to be an angel of death, culling the sick and weak from the herd of humanity.

It is time for me to live the dream."

Walt

"My true ambition is to be a Naughty Nurse Nympho in Naughty Nurse Nymphos IX. I figure some actual experience would give me an edge."

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

"My true ambition is to be a Naughty Nurse Nympho in Naughty Nurse Nymphos IX. I figure some actual experience would give me an edge."

I sooooooooooo like the way you think!!!!!:D:D

(Seriously, kelel01, why don't you talk with the nursing school admissions people and tell them you want to experience the thrills of the various disciplines before you make up your mind?)

Walt

I did actually think of that. But that's about 1 sentence. :D

What I meant by that was making a phone call or stopping by to talk with them and telling them you feel a dilemma because while currently you think that ICU/CCU nursing (or whatever) would be your thing, that you are quite open to the other disciplines and want to experience them before really committing. They can probably give you a clear idea on how to answer the question.

Whatever you do, don't tell them you want to teach nursing! Those positions are few and far between and highly sought after.

Walt

Yeah, I wasn't going that route. But thanks for the tip.

Only problem with talking to them is, I'm a dumbass procrastinator, and they'll all be gone from campus soon (since we're between semesters now). I should call them tomorrow, I guess.

I'm just much better/more comfortable with written mediums (media, I guess). :D

Yeah, I wasn't going that route. But thanks for the tip.

Only problem with talking to them is, I'm a dumbass procrastinator, and they'll all be gone from campus soon (since we're between semesters now). I should call them tomorrow, I guess.

I'm just much better/more comfortable with written mediums (media, I guess). :D

It's a quick and easy question and they'll probably tell you that it really doesn't matter what you put.

edited to add one more suggestion:

"I want to be a *real* nurse!!! I want to swim in bodily fluids and expose myself to any number of deadly diseases! I want to wallow in sickness, injury, and lingering death!!! I want to be highly stressed!!! Oh, and did I mention that I like to drink? I'm primed, baby!!!!!"

Walt

Whatever you do, don't tell them you want to teach nursing! Those positions are few and far between and highly sought after.

Walt

I teach nursing. Any women who would like to be tought how to be a nurse can feel free to contact me.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

"My boyfriend was into some stuff that I initialy thought quite weird. Enemas, injections, piercing, and even catheterizations, cauterizations, etc. Initially I tried it, as I was into experimentation. I quickly figured out that I enjoyed it immensely, especially in helping care for his wounds from his efforts at body modification...

That'll open their eyes...;)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

it's not nessisarlily what you say but how you say it.... tell em the truth , but spin it in a way that it doesn't sound cheesy and like you are lieing....

or lie and tell em what they want to hear to a t.... either way do it so they accept ya, cuz after they do it doesn't matter anymore what ya end up doing besides graduating...

My purpose in life is to drink as much tequila as possible.

I haven't gotten past that part, but when I do, I'll let you know what I come up with.

B|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Kel, do a PM for serious answers here. . .lol.

It doesn't matter if it feels like lies. The truth is, your heart is in the right place. It doesn't even matter if your ideas are grandiose. . .what does matter is that your grammar and spelling are impeccable and you can support your one page essay with some great examples. The reason they want you to write an essay is because they REALLY want to know if you can write. And nursing is all about patient advocacy. I will be graduating in December and what I have learned is I HAVE to be the advocate for my patient because the docs just write scrips. . .sometimes they don't even think about what they do when they write. . .and it doesn't matter the discipline you choose to go in to. I love Labor and Delivery, Cancer and Cardiology. . .but my ultimate choice is to be the strongest patient advocate I can.

That is nursing in a nutshell. . .just be honest with yourself and write the most grammatically correct essay you can.
FGF #6
Darcy