2 2
soignet

Sewing Machine Question

I Just purchased a sewing machine (Zig Zag) I was told it was a Bernina 217n but after I looked at the pictures again it is a Chandler 217n. Anybody know anything about this machine is it made at the same factory or even by Bernina? I think I made a good deal on it.

Hi soignet,

It looks like it is missing the 'goodies' on the backside to install the cams for various stitch patterns.

But if it will only do a zigzag then it is still a very good machine. Get in touch with Al, he knows a lot about them.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Send me an email at:

jerrybaumchen(at)verizon(dot)net

and I'll send you a photo of my Bernina 217 with the 'goodie' box on the back side.

I Just purchased a sewing machine (Zig Zag) I was told it was a Bernina 217n but after I looked at the pictures again it is a Chandler 217n. Anybody know anything about this machine is it made at the same factory or even by Bernina? I think I made a good deal on it.

I was interested and in the course of looking up the info on the machine, I ran across the E-bay ad. If you get the table and everything (said local pick up for all) you got an amazing deal! Have fun with that machine...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

In answer to your original question, it is the same thing as a Bernina 217, but as someone mentioned it is missing the parts necessary for cams. I don't have the cams for mine, but it still does a great zig zag and a decent straight stitch.

Unless you got it from a good industrial dealer, it may need work, tuning up or new parts. But for the price you got it for, its an amazing deal, even if it was for parts its a good deal.

Well when I picked up the machine I got to look it over and meet the owner. He only had it for 2 weeks (it was given to him by a old lady in his church) Apparently when he committed to taking it off her hands he did not realize it was a big industrial machine with table. He didn't want it because it took up too much room in his house. He didn't know anything about the machine it is actually just a 217 not the 217N. The books that came with the machine are original Bernina books for a 217N. It is missing a few parts for the bobbin winder but I was able to order them from a local Bernina dealer. I am still in the process of tuning it up but it runs fine. If someone could tell me what size and brand of needles I need to use it only came with one and it does not fit the #18 I was using in my wifes Singer. And any other hints or advice for this machine would be greatly appreciated.

The needles I get are made by Groz-Beckert. I have size 14, 16, and 18.

I don't know what the specs are on the throat size, but here's what the package says.

10 nm 110/18 - (for 18 size)

DBx1
16x257
71x1
16x231
287 WH
DBx257
339.162AC02FFG
075921180G

(don't know what all that gibrish means but its on the package)

I have the instruction manual and service manual if you need them but it sounds like you already have them.

This is not the For Sale Forum ... but I will give you a solid polite opinion on your 217 machine Head you are selling .

( looking at your Pic. )  and having owned 2, 217's and still have one set-up in shop and use regular . No Way you will get 500-$ for that old Head even if was set-up on a complete table

Quick observation from your blurry photo. At Best, in the bad shape it's in, the buyer is receiving a machine ( for parts only ) sale . It does Not run/sew even if set-up on a table w/motor, is Rusty, Missing parts, and broken reverse lever .

Edited by RayLosli
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 1:38 PM, KPiotrowski said:

Hey. I don't know much about sewing machines but I have a Chandler 217n.. It came from a lady my mom knew she was a seamstress. I am trying to sell it for 500.00. I saw that you wanted people to post. 

0918211604.jpg

gotta love people with one post trying to sell crap.

• Like 1

Don't know if he looking for extra drug-$$ .  But Agree, 'Really' does throw-up red-flag when it's a , 1st Post, Overpriced, shittyShape, abused looking machine Head all by itself, set in a bad blurry Pic. ...LOL
. But OP was brutally honest is stating .." does Not know Much about sew machines "
---
Is definitely one machine that will always be keeping around . I will browse craigslist here in my AO couple times a week for catching a good deal on different used/new machines, and I have actually scored a couple over last few years . The clean running old Swiss Bernina/217's on a clean motor table, still gets around the 1-k price range.
The old Swiss Bernina 217's were a real well made, balanced smooth running and a great Light/medium straight-zigzag-stitch, and accepting Cam readers also . (imho) ,One of the best sewing Bottom-Feeds made . It was such a well made, that was put under the brand label Chandler, Durkopp, and newer clone variants by Global Industrial . I even seen a nice clean 36" longarm  global/217 model  in the craiglist for sale last year .

Edited by RayLosli

I've added to my collection. I have a 217 with small cam lightly used as back up on upholstery shop $750, a 217n-8 no cam like new from older upholster's estate $400. A 217n-8 with cam in fair condition with rusty parts, $75, a clean 217n-8 except dropped and cracked casting and broken knee lift, $200. Those last two are going together to make one good one. And Thursday now a 217n-12 with cam needing a little tlc but should be good.  First 217 small cam had complete original cam set.  No other cams till last one which had the elusive large cam 308 double throw zig zag.  I have two consew 199r-2a's 308 stitch somenI'm well stocked. B)

On 10/23/2021 at 6:53 PM, councilman24 said:

I've added to my collection. I have a 217 with small cam lightly used as back up on upholstery shop $750, a 217n-8 no cam like new from older upholster's estate $400. A 217n-8 with cam in fair condition with rusty parts, $75, a clean 217n-8 except dropped and cracked casting and broken knee lift, $200. Those last two are going together to make one good one. And Thursday now a 217n-12 with cam needing a little tlc but should be good.  First 217 small cam had complete original cam set.  No other cams till last one which had the elusive large cam 308 double throw zig zag.  I have two consew 199r-2a's 308 stitch somenI'm well stocked. B)

Do you still have the Bernina 217n 12mm or 8mm with cam? 3 step zigzag is a must... I am looking to find one.