Unparagoned

Container deal for University skydive club?

I was wondering about the best way to get a cheap container in reasnable condition for my University skydive club. The club provides rigs for university students for free, to help get students skydiving. We currently have an ageing 18 year old Vector which is nearing/passed it's useful life.

We require a new container and were wondering if any manufacturers had any ex demo containers, B-grade stock, or are able to offer us a discount on a new container. The container will need to fit a PD 176 reserve, Pilot 210 main and cypress 2. The rig will be used by any student of any university who jump at that dropzone. I've e-mailed a few manufacturers, and one has offered us a 40% discount, but that is for an expensive rig, so in the end it works out ~£100 cheaper than getting a wings from our local dealer but involves getting it from the US to the UK.

Ideally we would be looking for a second hand container but the second hand market for containers that fit a 210 main is very slim/non existent. In the past we have been able to get ex-demo kit at a very reasonable price from a manufacturer, and are looking for a similar deal.

Since we are in the UK it makes things much harder to get a container at a good price. At the moment the main option we have is to get a new wings from our local dealer.

Does anyone have any good contacts that could help out, or have any other ideas on how to get a container that would suit us?

I was wondering about the best way to get a cheap container in reasnable condition for my University skydive club. The club provides rigs for university students for free, to help get students skydiving. We currently have an ageing 18 year old Vector which is nearing/passed it's useful life.

We require a new container and were wondering if any manufacturers had any ex demo containers, B-grade stock, or are able to offer us a discount on a new container. The container will need to fit a PD 176 reserve, Pilot 210 main and cypress 2. The rig will be used by any student of any university who jump at that dropzone. I've e-mailed a few manufacturers, and one has offered us a 40% discount, but that is for an expensive rig, so in the end it works out ~£100 cheaper than getting a wings from our local dealer but involves getting it from the US to the UK.

Ideally we would be looking for a second hand container but the second hand market for containers that fit a 210 main is very slim/non existent. In the past we have been able to get ex-demo kit at a very reasonable price from a manufacturer, and are looking for a similar deal.

Since we are in the UK it makes things much harder to get a container at a good price. At the moment the main option we have is to get a new wings from our local dealer.

Does anyone have any good contacts that could help out, or have any other ideas on how to get a container that would suit us?

The 100 euros cheaper than a wings for an "expensive" rig which to me sounds like a javelin or vector is probably worth the hassle of dealing with it. You save money and at least in my opinion, those two manufacturers make a better rig.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The 100 euros cheaper than a wings for an "expensive" rig which to me sounds like a javelin or vector is probably worth the hassle of dealing with it. You save money and at least in my opinion, those two manufacturers make a better rig.

It's not a vector or Javelin. The hassle also includes costs for trying to get it to the UK. If we could somehow get it from the US to the UK for really cheap and in a reasnable timeframe it would be fine, but I have no experience doing that. Also we lose out on the benefit of having our local dealer handling any problems, etc. I haven't completely ruled it out yet, I need to ask people at my DZ how easy/cheap it is to get from the US..

Don't you also have a VAT to take into consideration when buying from the US and shipping to the UK that would more than eat up the 100 in savings?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Ideally we would be looking for a second hand container but the second hand market for containers that fit a 210 main is very slim/non existent.

Really? I've been halfheartedly keeping my eyes out for a good 2nd rig in the $250-$400 range, and the problem I keep running into is that most of the rigs are built for much larger canopies than I would be flying... several have been sized in the 210 range. Most of the really good prices have been Dolphins, Racers, Talons, and Vector II's.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

If we could somehow get it from the US to the UK for really cheap and in a reasnable timeframe it would be fine, but I have no experience doing that.

Know anybody who is headed to the US over the winter? They could pick it up and carry it back for you - save a bit in shipping at the least (and possibly on "other costs" as well).

Why only US-made gear? Wouldn't it be cheaper overall to get something built on your side of the pond?

Have you tried just going to your SU or whoever allocates budgets and telling them you want to replace your old kit for safety reasons.

My exp with university sports clubs is that they pretty much give you a blank cheque if you mention the word "safety".

The skydiving club I'm a member of the alumni of told their SU a few years back that the risers on their rig had just been grounded (true). They were about to ask for some money for new risers and before they could get a word in the SU had agreed to pay for a whole brand new rig as the money came out of their safety slush fund or some such. Clearly the club shut up about how risers can be replaced separately and accepted the offer of a new rig.

Ask - you never know what they might say.

Have you tried just going to your SU or whoever allocates budgets and telling them you want to replace your old kit for safety reasons.

My exp with university sports clubs is that they pretty much give you a blank cheque if you mention the word "safety".

The skydiving club I'm a member of the alumni of told their SU a few years back that the risers on their rig had just been grounded (true). They were about to ask for some money for new risers and before they could get a word in the SU had agreed to pay for a whole brand new rig as the money came out of their safety slush fund or some such. Clearly the club shut up about how risers can be replaced separately and accepted the offer of a new rig.

Ask - you never know what they might say.

I tried a few years ago. We get some money towards reserve repacks, reserve/cypres related stuff. But they won't give us anyting for our main kit.

I guess it can't hurt to ask again.

Send your email to me. [email protected]
I can sort you out with a wings 50% off certificate.
Or I can hook you upa complete brand new kit at a price that you would not even see in the states.. I have a programme where we help like to help out student clubs with club kit and jumpsuits, gloves, altis etc.

We dont make any money from it at all.

A very good friend is coming back from the states in January as well and I can confirm that the kit would be built and ready for when he comes back.

Send us an email as we would like to help out another uni club with a mini sponsoship

.Karnage Krew Gear Store