Barlad

Smoke or clear goggles

Hey all,

I am buying my first pair of goggles and can't decide between the smoke or the clear version of Sorz.

Smoke look cooler, in my opinion, but I'm afraid I'll see much less clearly than with some clear goggles, any one has an experience with this please?

Thanks!

I'm very light sensitive, so I have to have some sort of tint most of the time. I have a pair of smoke mini flex-z goggles for bright daylight and a set of clear for 1st load / sunset load when I use my open-face helmet.

With my full-face, I put my sunglasses on underneath when needed.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I got the clear soares and that is what my instructor asked that I get. Don't hesitate to ask their opinion and advice. In the big scope of things goggles aren't that expensive so you could also get one of each - you can decide for yourself which you prefer and also have a backup pair.

-Michael

Hey all,

I am buying my first pair of goggles and can't decide between the smoke or the clear version of Sorz.

Smoke look cooler, in my opinion, but I'm afraid I'll see much less clearly than with some clear goggles, any one has an experience with this please?

Thanks!

If you are a student, for sure go with the clear. I have both clear and smoked. I will only wear the clear ones when I am instructing and for the most part don't wear the smoked ones much at all anymore. Its nice if it is super bright or if I am jumping with a lot of snow on the ground.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

...Smoke look cooler, in my opinion, but I'm afraid I'll see much less clearly than with some clear goggles, any one has an experience with this please?

You really answered your own question. You know what is best....go with it.

Get away from the "cool" factor and go with the sanity. "Cool" has hurt a lot of people in this sport.

Hold my beer and watch this!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If you jump in Southern California right now, you don't need smoked goggles... mother nature is taking care of that for you.

:P
:D

Yes, eye contact is important, especially when y'all don't yet have a lot of jumps / experience. However, I've never not be able to tell if someone across the formation is or isn't looking at me because they had smoked or tinted goggles on... I guess they could have their eyes closed and it would seem like they were looking at me, but not really if they had tinted vs. clear goggles... :D

Anyway, I'd recommend starting off with a clear set of goggles. If you want to buy a smoked pair or goggles later, go for it, its not like they cost that much.

As for the sunset load comment... yes, this is true, but remember you can always take your goggles off under canopy. I jump with clear goggles and still usually take them off under canopy on those "late" sunset loads or night jumps.

Since you can only do your talking with your eyes and nods etc stay with clear. I want to tell where your looking. I cant tell if some one is going to crash into us if your being way to cool. Or if some one went low behind me, or if you got my signal for the same. I seldom turn down anyone for a jump, but will ask them try to find clears

I started my skydiving leasons from scratch this past season as it had been wayto long since I was skydiving. I brought my own personal gear I had from years ago. Which included Amber lens goggles. My instructor wouldn't let me touch them during all the jumps. For the same reason others have mentioned above. It is important to maintain eye comtact with those around you.
Just my 2cents!

I did the vast majority of my progression with red antiglare coated lenses for my WileyX SG-1's - several times my instructor noted that he couldn't see my eyes, but it never created problems. They do look sweet :)
However, on almost every sunset load I've been on (wow, like 5!) I've had to pull my goggles up to see for landing. As the days get shorter and the weather crappier, I see great value in clear lenses - I'll be ordering a set soon (or just getting a Havok FF) - eye contact does help in many scenarios. Just my 2penniesB|

"We'll start the ass kissing with you"

Smoke look cooler, in my opinion, !

It's not how you look, it's how you see that matters.

That said, I prefer tinted because I have sensitive eyes.

Same here: light-sensitive eyes - I can't stand not having a tint when I'm driving or jumping during the day, even an overcast day.

I have 3 sets of prescription glasses I jump with - a set of dark-tinted wraparound prescription sunglasses, and 2 sets of prescription sport goggles (like basketball players wear) - 1 clear, and 1 light-amber.

I jump the dark ones whenever I can, which is most of the time. I use the clear ones on twilight jumps. I use the light-amber ones on overcast days, or when I'm either jumping with newer jumpers just learning RW, or with up-jumper whiners who bitch about wanting to see my eyes.