lawrocket

ADD/ADHD

Sweet, I get to be a HOT, kickass skygoddess!

g

I thought you were already? ;)

Ah, but I pale in comparison to GFD!

g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

g

g

Hmmm - I think you both have special qualities.

(Did I cover may ass well enough?)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

g

g

So get a tan!! :ph34r: :ph34r:
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

A note to those who really don't understand how stimulants can cause a hyper person to slow down:

The ADHD is actually apparently caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. The exact cause is not known, but appears to be related to a deficit of dopamine and/or norepinephrine, both neurotransmitters. Dopamine controls the flow of information in the brain, and in most ADHD sufferers, there is a lower level of dopamine.

As a result, the brain is set too low. My theory? Think of it like a car engine whose idle is set too low. You have to keep giving it gas and increasing the rpms to prevent a shut down. Gunning it, shall we say. But, it you crank up the gas just a bit, you dont have to rev the engine.

Amphetamines and caffeine do this. They work on the neurotransmitters to increase the available dopamine. The control and flow of incoming information is better and less need to self-regulate.

So we get control and slowed down with stimulants. It's a perverse reaction. But it's also important to control the dose adequately. You want enough for effectiveness, but not so much as to implicate other parts of life negatively.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You want enough for effectiveness, but not so much as to implicate other parts of life negatively.

That I do understand....it's just easier to do so as an adult...with kids the meds effectiveness changes
noticeably when the variables to their body chemistry isn't closely monitored.

Times and types of meals, caffeine in soda, sugar... all have a marked effect.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hey man my boys are on meds for their mental challenges as well. We tried the all-natural wonder stuff (we still do, it's never-ending). But in the end, if the brain is missing a chemical component that is necessary to allow the mind to concentrate on one area, in my completely non-medical opinion, don't deny the child that missing piece for the sake of 'not medicating'.

Since the whole Ridlin pandemonium, and everyone went on the rampage telling parents that they were ALL evil for 'medicating' their children, those kids that truly need that missing chemical have either a.) suffered from a lack of that component because mom and dad jumped on the bandwagon too and don't want people to talk about them or b.)mom and dad do what they know to be needed for their child and catch holy hell from all their non-medically educated friends for 'drugging' their children.

I'm not saying for or against on anything in particular; just that if you hold onto that 'no medical intervention' viewpoint, you can set yourself and your family up for some pain. -Believe me, we KNOW, we did it too. :S joe didn't want me to go back on a thyroid tablet because he was a firm believer that people should NOT need medications daily.

-When I went balistic and started throwing glasses at the wall from frustration with memory loss I think he kinda changed his mind...:|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Of all the days to be me, today is a very, very good one!

NOPE!

Neither of us can have her anyway.... [:/] Bob sure is a lucky guy!!! B|

g

True - but - you know - we could "Pretend"
:ph34r::ph34r:

Ooooh, like roleplay??? :ph34r:

g

Yeah - you could be GFD and I'll be Bob.:o

:P:P:P:P:P

:)

I'll admit that I still have a pretty good case of it. Three things realy help me with ADHD - discipline, caffeine and doing something with my hands (motor skills).

You never grow out - you just adapt. And ADHD folks are great multitaskers.

And brainstormers.

For Great Deals on Gear

This is so screwed up.

I'm distracted by my attention deficit disorder. :|

I've been so excited to discover this, that I've been examining it and thinking about it and reflecting on how it's manifested all my life, and and .... I can't get a damn thing done.

I'm on spaz overdrive right now. [:/]

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Okay. So I've got ADHD pretty bad, and was treated through my whole childhood. I've seen references to ADD in some peoples' signature lines.

I just wanted to get an idea about its presence here for my own curiosity.

I have actually been told the opposite. Its funny though how the opposite can be said as a compliment or otherwise.
{as a compliment} You are very focused. You know what you want and you go after it until you accomplish your goal.
{as otherwise} You just go from one obsession to the next. Can't you just be normal and not take everything so seriously?
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

This is so screwed up.

I'm distracted by my attention deficit disorder. :|

I've been so excited to discover this, that I've been examining it and thinking about it and reflecting on how it's manifested all my life, and and .... I can't get a damn thing done.

I'm on spaz overdrive right now. [:/]

Don't be too excited. When you get meds, its not just going to solve the problem, it'll just give you one more mental state in which to struggle with it.

All ritalin/adderall (for me) does is increase focus. The problem is that it doesn't affect what you want to focus on. I can sit here all day and get absolutely nothing done at all without adderall, or i can take adderall and write a 15-page theory on gravity and design a new canopy in 3ds max but still not get my work done. Either way, the bills dont get paid and I'll have clients calling me tomorrow morning breathing fire down my neck.

I started reading this thread thinking "okay theres no way i'm wasting all the time required to read 4 pages of this..." and here I am replying to it.... :S

The good thing about adderall is that if i do actually start working and get focused, there is no stopping what I can do.

I've tried using incentives to motivate myself to get work done. i.e. i'll watch a BASE video and be like "ok brett, this is the kind of fun you can have if you get off your lazy bitch ass and get this website done by tomorrow and get paid! You will have the money to go to norway this year!".... but then i just end up watching more videos and pacing around my house thinking about base jumping and getting nothing done.

I think marz is onto something with that whole 'hunter' in a 'farmer/gatherer' society thing. I do incredibly well as long as I'm genuinely interested in what I'm doing, and if what I'm doing helps me progress to an extremely challenging, hard-to-reach goal. I guess that's the main thing that attracts me to skydiving/BASE. There are many paths to take in both, they are very challenging to master, the risks are high, the margins are small, and when you finally accomplish a goal you've been working toward for months or even years, the feeling of accomplishment is incredible. And then there's always something even higher to shoot for.

It's like spending days or weeks tracking down a mammoth and finally slaying it, rather than just sitting around planting seeds and watching corn grow and following a routine every day.

OK enough of my rant... now i'm off to work... but first myspace.... and then maybe i'll go get some food....
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Dude, right on.

I know a med isn't going to motivate me or make me accomplish anything. But right now, I will literally get excited about a project, start pulling it together, and 20 minutes later, the slightest roadblock has me coming here, getting coffee, wandering around the office, ...

I make the lists that used to help me. I set the schedule like I always have. Goals in place. Distractions minimized. All I end up doing is beating myself up.

It's like trying to catch a greased pig running around in my head. :|

I know what I'm trying to focus on. And I know I'm not doing very well on willpower alone. [:/]

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

It's like trying to catch a greased pig running around in my head. :|

haha, thats probably the best way i've heard it explained! excellent job :)

as long as you have the ability to get yourself excited about a project and start pulling it together you'll be ok. Its all about inertia... if you are working, you'll keep working... if your being a lazy POS (like I am now) you'll continue to do so unless acted upon by an outside force. I've actually considered hiring a secretary just to breathe down my neck and make me work (and maybe breathe down my neck in other ways... err sorry wrong topic) but then i'd probably get irritated and fire her within the first week for being a nazi. :D
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

I havent been diagnosed with adhd, but I am most certain I am... my (soon to be) ex-wife is a DR. of pharmacy and swears up and down that I should be on meds.. that is one thing I think I resent her for.. I like who I am and how scatterbrained I am most of the time.. I think it is more of a personality trait than a flaw or something that needs to be fixed.. I am pretty anti drugs when it comes to that stuff if you can focus enough to carry on with your life. There are WAY too many kids today that are jsut thrown on meds... just to take the easy way out..instead parents and teachers should help those kids learn to deal with thier mind and teach them how to learn and carry on without the unneccessary medication. granted I do understand there are several cases out there that medication should be used..but I think there are way more kids and adults on medication that dont really need it.

-yoshi

just to take the easy way out..instead parents and teachers should help those kids learn to deal with thier mind and teach them how to learn and carry on without the unneccessary medication.

...and HOW many kids did you say you have?:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~