lawrocket

ADD/ADHD

Oh, I did not take it disrespectfully. Trust me - my friends with it all think it a fun thing. It's weird - folks with ADHD can sniff each other out in a crowd. It's a sense of knowing.

I don't think it's disrespectfu at all. :)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

How many kids with ADD does it take to screw in a light bulb"

I don't know, how many?

Want to go ride bikes?

I took Ritalin from 3-8th grade. My parents have said it has worked a miracle.

My son has been taking different variation since he was in 1st. It's painfully obvious that he WILL NOT focus on anything unless he takes it. I can be around him for two minutes and know if he has taken his medicine or not. He even knows that he can't do his school work completely without it. Every is a distraction.

hell, I still get distracted easily. I should be working... :ph34r:

My father was diagnosed at age 55. He knows he's more productive when he takes the medicine. My daughter was diagnosed in Kindergarden. Ritalin really helped her, but last year she asked to be taken off it so she could be like the "other" kids. Her grades have really slipped this year, she often doesn't know the assignments, doesn't complete her work and doesn't focus on what she needs to do. I think she's going to have to go back on the meds. [:/]
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So many people don't realize it does still affect someone in adulthood. Thankfully i don't have it. I'm just flaky sometimes, but not for any medical reason. My work insurance is so stupid. Anybody over the age of 16 that gets prescribed Ritalin, well it's not covered under our prescription plan. Seems the insurance company knows more than the doctors, and ADD/ADHD is only a "childhood disease" that should be cured by the time someone is 16. One of the ladies in my office has to go through this shit everytime she needs the prescription refilled for her 18yr old daughter. Doctor writes the scrip, insurance company refuses it, Dr has to call and argue with the insurance company etc.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I have Tourettes Syndrome, which kind of comes with ADD, and while I was never actually diagnosed with ADHD, I used to show strong symptoms of it.

So yup, you're not alone pal. ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

i've never been diagnosed, but i cannot for the life of me pay attention while talking to people. i can be staring at them, i see their mouths moving, i hear words, but my brain is off on it's own. i used to drive a truck and for some reason, i could pay attention to what i was doing hour after hour with very little outside stimulation. now i can't sit in a conference call without doodling or taking my pen apart.

i tell people that's why i skydive and not golf. i get bored after about 3 holes of golf. skydiving, i pay attention for about 5 minutes, then i can go do something else!
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I'll admit that I still have a pretty good case of it. Three things realy help me with ADHD - discipline, caffeine and doing something with my hands (motor skills).

You never grow out - you just adapt. And ADHD folks are great multitaskers.

Diagnosed with ADD at 26 yrs old, three semesters into my Master's studies... Goes to show that you can still go far. I tried Ritalin and it gave me a headache and a dry mouth. I just chose occupations today that play to my strengths (Hyper focus for short bursts, creativity, etc.)

I read a great book that does not refer to ADD as a disorder but as an instinctive "hunter" mentality within the context of a "farmer/gatherer" society. I adopted that as my philosophy. I'll PM you the name of the book if you want.

I found out later that I had been diagnosed as a kid but my mother refused to put me on meds for it.

When I was young I did not take Ritalin. I was on "Desoxyn," which was an oral form of crystal meth. Since it was so heavily abused as a diet pill and as an upper, the insurers took it off the list.

I wish it were still around and widely available. It worked wonders for me. Why don't I need it? Because I remember what I was like on it and try to behave that way.

I'll admit that I still have a pretty good case of it. Three things realy help me with ADHD - discipline, caffeine and doing something with my hands (motor skills).

You never grow out - you just adapt. And ADHD folks are great multitaskers.

I was diagnosed in elementray school. Used to take Ritalin for it back then. I've kinda adapted now tho. I've often thought about getting checked out again and maybe trying some meds again.

Your right though about the multitasking ;) I do it all day long.. Just wish I could finish one of the projects I'm working on LOL :D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

What about other drugs like Stratera (SP?). My wife just started taking that and our insurance is covering it.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Oh, I did not take it disrespectfully. Trust me - my friends with it all think it a fun thing. It's weird - folks with ADHD can sniff each other out in a crowd. It's a sense of knowing.

I don't think it's disrespectfu at all. :)

Recently we've found out about our daughter. My wife is extremely sensitive about the jokes so far. Too bad, some are clever.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My oldest son had severe ADHD. We've tried everything. He was too high on Ritalin. He's 14 years old and VERY immature because of his condition. He's got a heart of gold but if he's not on his medication, he's real, real hard to deal with. I thought this was a condition that the kids were suppose to grow out of?

My personal anecdote?

I failed out of college, and I was using the ADHD as a crutch. Once I stopped using it as a crutch for bad performance and for shirking responsibilities, I did quite well.

Don't allow your son to feel sorry for himself, as many with ADD/ADHD do. It's a long road to destruction. Instead, focus on how your son can use it in effective ways.

When I was a kid I was diagnosed as Hyperactive... Thats what alot of folks call ADD/ADHD nowadays. This was well before the hyped up crap we now deal with from the medical type people who feed on this. Their answer to kids being kids (IMO) is to drug'em to slow'em down, when I was a kid they suggested sugar free and all natural diets to slow and calm me down... It didn't work>:(! I grew out of it as the vast majority of kids do.
I still remember the first Christmas on that diet, my mom gave me carob candy canes... YUCK:S!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Funny how you know how he uses it as a crutch. Unfortunately, most of the time, he stays with my parents and they also use it as a crutch. When he's here with me and he gets in trouble he'll reply, "I couldn't help it! I didn't take my medicine" (we try not to give it to him too much on the weekends) He's very difficult, due much to his 'condition'. My SO thinks he'd get over the dependency (he calls it) if he'd just stop taking the medicine and listen to and do what he's told when he's told when he's told to do it It's hard to tell if his attention span is truely so small that he forgets what you've told him within minutes (or even seconds) or whether it's a put on.

Funny how I know? LOL! That's like a mother-to-be asking a mother-who-is, "How'd you know I was feeling like that."

It's common, and until he knocks it off, he won't go anywhere. It's tough to do, especially if he's been coddled for a while because of it.

I understand why I did things the way I did them. Looking back, I still do not condone my actions. Don't let him get away with it. Trust me.

I am a Ritalin kid from way back. I took it from 2nd grade all the way to 8th. After I got off it I had areally hard time focussing.

I have recntly considered returning to Ritalin, as I can see my lack of focus effects my performance.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!