frazeebd

First Rig Options

Hey everybody! Thanks for reading my post!!
Well I finally got my A license a couple weeks ago, I've got about 35 jumps so far, and am looking to buy my first rig.
I've seen some good options around, and one in particular that keeps coming up is the Altico Dolphin container...
Basically I'm looking for opinions on this container... I've read the gear reviews on here, and they are mostly good although there aren't many... but I've never seen one at my DZ, and that makes me a little hesitant..
Does anybody have a strong (preferably educated) opinion about the Dolphin as a starter rig?
Would it just be smarter/healthier/wiser/cleaner/etc to just stick to a more mainstream brand and try to find a javelin or mirage or something?

A dolphin is a great first container. It's basically the same as a Javelin, without all the bells and whistles. It's simple, not too pretty, and doesn't have all the fancy stuff on it like other rigs, but it's cheap, and it works. After a few hundred jumps or so when you have a better idea what you want in a container, you can then get one of the expensive fancy ones custon built to you, but for just starting out a used dolphin would suit you very well.

Dolphins are good first containers, since they are generally available at great prices.

Altico went through a number of riser flap designs, and some are better than others. I've seen velcro covers (which kind of suck), snap covers (good, but expect to replace some snaps), triangular-shaped tuck-tabs (some worked, some didn't), and full over-the shoulder tuck-tabs (definately the best of the bunch). I'd check which version a rig has before buying it.

If you're planning on doing a lot of freeflying, be especially careful. I'm not one of those who will say that a quarter inch of exposed bridle is going to kill you, but I've seen some larger dolphins that physically cannot have less than 3-4 inches of exposed bridle, and that's a too much in a sit. Some later dolphins had a "bridle protection flap" that was really just an afterthought and IMO, a joke... the ones I saw were loose and would not have helped.

If, on the other hand, you're mainly looking at RW, there are no real concerns with a dolphin... a snap can be added to velcro covers, and either tuck-tab will be sufficient.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I've seen some larger dolphins that physically cannot have less than 3-4 inches of exposed bridle, and that's a too much in a sit.

Well that concerns me... I'm new at flying altogether, but I would like to feel comfortable with the rig I buy, even in the sit position should I try it, so this is a good point to bring up.

There are also some options on here from buildarig.com that have older Talon 2 harnesses... I've read about people having problems with the reserve pin flap coming open during a sit, but otherwise these have pretty much shining reviews. Any thoughts?

Don't listen to all the bullshit you hear about Dolphins sucking or about velcro on the risers sucking, because it's all bullshit!

Dolphins are great rigs if your a noobie or a longtime jumper, their well built and very comfy too, customer service is top notch even if you buy a used rig Mike will take care of you and stand behind the products he makes and sells new or used.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

When I first tried to sit in my talon, the reserve pin (edit)cover(/edit) flap would open. I was shown how to use a rubber band to keep it in place. It might look ghetto, but it works. It has no impact on the reserve pin. I like my old talon and got it at a good price.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Well that concerns me... I'm new at flying altogether, but I would like to feel comfortable with the rig I buy, even in the sit position should I try it, so this is a good point to bring up.

Like I said, it's individual to the specific dolphin. Stratostar's bridle pic where he's got 3cm of exposed bridle (about 1 1/4 inch) is an example of a dolphin that I personally would have no concerns about in a sit... when it gets longer I start to be concerned. Again, in my experience it's been the larger dolphins (D-3 and above) where I've typically seen a long exposed bridle region.

Velcro riser covers are less a saftey concern and more an asthetics/maintenance concern. An open riser cover is not going to cause a premature deployment, it just looks messy. If the canopies are sized well for the container, velcro will do a decent job for a few hundred jumps, and then will need to be replaced... snaps are the same, but may be easier to replace.

I do think it's a good container, just that there are a couple of things to look for. I've been keeping an eye out for a good, cheap, 2nd container, and dolphin is on the list because I think they are often undervalued and available for bargain prices.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I was shown how to use a rubber band to keep it in place.

Huh? You got a picture of that?

With the rubber band installed under the reserve closing flap and over the pin cover tab, the band will not have any impact if the ripcord is pulled. The flaps will clear with the band around both. All it does is add a little resistance to the tab sliding out of its tuck hole. Pin checks are easy. This method was suggested by a rigger and other riggers I trust have had no issues with this set up.

Jump an Infinity

Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and post those. I'm sure you got plenty of rigger opinions before implementing. I'd just never heard or seen that before and if organizing would have given me pause before letting someone get on the load. But, at least now I know the concept and reason for it and wouldn't hit the pause button too hard. Even, having seen it and the best picture being the one of you lifting the tuck tab shows the reasoning. I think if I ever did see it, I'd still have to have a master rigger take a look at it and give me a green flag in the interest of safety.... Not saying it's a bad thing, just a new thing to me.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Keith, there needs to be more people like you out there questioning and double checking stuff like this. I asked two master riggers about the concept before I followed someone's suggestion and installed it. I'm a double checker myself. I have since seen several other Talons with this addition. I have taken this rig to quite a few DZs away from home and none of them have taken pause while performing the gear check. Maybe they have a few more old Talons around with this high tech mod.;)

Jump an Infinity

All this information has been really helpful, and I appreciate all of the feedback.
I took a look at a couple rigs so far, and I think that the dolphin might be my best option... tomorrow I'm going to call the DZ (its actually for sale by a DZO in Wisconson) and ask him a little about the exposed bridle, to see if I can get an idea about it.
The rig looks great, has gotten great reviews... and its priced for poor people like me!!
Thanks again for the input.

My hubby and I both have Dolphin containers and have used them for 5 years with NO problems. We have no plans to upgrade. All of our gear is checked weekly. As with ANY gear maintainence is a must! :)

Old age ain't no place for sissies!