skydemon2

Who gives a rats ass about reality shows?

The only thing that disturbs me more than the contents of these shows is that a large segment of the population can't get enough of this nonsense. They all have the same basic premise....put people together and provoke them to fight with each other.

There are a few people who disagree with you:
- 29 million for "American Idol"
- 17 million for "Survivor"
- 8 million for "Amazing Race"
- 7 million for "American Inventor"

Source: Nielson Rankings

This is just more proof that human beings are going the way of the dinosaur.

"The Simple Life"????

Even I have my standards:P

<---Just said "No" to ever watching "The Simple Life"

See you in the "Idol" thread, Chuck;)

Like I said, I only watched the dumb-ass show once. That, was just total curiosity and extreme boredom. There was nothing good on RFD-TV, at the time. There was a show on E, last year, 'Filthy Rich Cattle Drive'. You talk about totally spoiled, useless humanity! It featured the sons and daughters of 'famous' people, on a cattle drive. Those folks didn't know the eatin' end from the shittin' end of a horse! They wanted meals 'delivered' out on the range and I don't know what all. Who, dreams this crap up? You bet, I'll see ya' in the Idol thread.

Chuck

I was completely appalled a few weeks ago when I was at the dentist and the whole time they were working on my mouth the dentist and hygenist were talking about American Idol and each of the contestants. They knew there names, their hometowns..... IT WAS DISGUSTING.

I don't want to go back to that dentist. What a freaking airhead. I should have forced them to turn on NPR.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

What a freaking airhead.

Wow---so quick to judge.

You know for me, I love opinions and different points of view b/c I really listen and think and process and sometimes even modify my own positions on things b/c someone makes a point I wasn't previously aware of, etc.. But to judge someone soley on the basis of having a different perspective, interest, etc.?:S

Recently I ranted about MySpace. My rant mostly focused on it as an entity rather than its users. But I stated some clear opinons on that, too. However, I have many friends who send me "invites" daily via e-mail. These are good people---I don't understand or care much for their involvement with the site, but I don't think they are "airheads" or anything else for that matter.

Wow.

[:/]
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

After being subjected to a 30 minute discussion on American Idol I don't think I was that quick to judge.

Edited to add:

I clearly did not call everyone who watches these shows an airhead. But my dentist most definitely is.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

If/when I'm at home and am avoiding chores. Yes, I'll watch 'em. They are fun. People amuse me. It's amazing what folks will do for the mighty buck isn't it?

For laughs I've watched the following:

1. The Simple Life - sure it's all crap, but its funny
2. American Idol - I USED TO WATCH THAT SHOW BUT ...
3. Flavor of Love - HA HA HA HA! What the ? Those girls are sooo trashy/stupid
4. Girls Next Door -That is one lucky old man.
5. Anna Anna Annna Nichole!!! I want a bobble head doll. What happened to that show. I miss fat ol' anna

I don't watch anything meaningful....unless I have time for an episode of House OR Prison Break.

is

I was completely appalled a few weeks ago when I was at the dentist and the whole time they were working on my mouth the dentist and hygenist were talking about American Idol and each of the contestants. They knew there names, their hometowns..... IT WAS DISGUSTING.

I don't want to go back to that dentist. What a freaking airhead. I should have forced them to turn on NPR.

Got your mind off of what the dentist was doing.:D:D

Chuck

No worries...most of the time I love your posts:P

We will agree to disagree---even an hour-long conversation on American Idol---it's still just one part of a whole person. I couldn't judge based solely on that (or maybe I could b/c I try not to judge, but sometimes catch myself doing so, too---usually more from a fashion angle though:D. I find it very difficult to not think "slut" when I see a mini skirt, knee-high boots and tummy/tit-revealing shirt on a girl:S I live by the "show no more than one thing" rule. If I wore a mini my tits and tummy would be fully covered, thank you. But, I'm not much into skirts. OK, now I'm rambling...:P)

;)

5. Anna Anna Annna Nichole!!! I want a bobble head doll. What happened to that show. I miss fat ol' anna

I don't watch anything meaningful....unless I have time for an episode of House of Prison Break.

Anna Nicole... IS a bobble-head!:D

Chuck

You know what really disgusts me about American Idol?

I once watched part of the first show of a new season and I hated the fact that the entire premise of that show was to make fun of people in a very rude way. I realize that the people auditioning had to know they would get mocked, but still. It was just mean and ugly.

I should have forced them to turn on NPR.

Hmmmm. American Idol or NPR. I'm not sure which is funnier.

Walt

I think, shows like that are good. It's just mindless, inconsequential entertainment that gets our minds off of daily stress and the problems of the world. When you get down to it... that's just about all of television! Except for 'Family Guy'! Hee, hee...

Chuck

Karen:

The mockery is sad, but unfortunately entertainment value is what it is. I find guilty pleasure in watching tone deaf hootchies try to sing, who really think they are the shizzle dizzle.

The horrible thing that happens is the way Simon ridicules the overweight/mentally challenged contestants. They will never live it down when the return home. I've wondered how many have shamed themselves to suicide.

Anyway...I'll still watch...I'll still laugh. But, I'm done with AI for this season. I'm slightly freakin pissed...

is

I once watched part of the first show of a new season and I hated the fact that the entire premise of that show was to make fun of people in a very rude way.

You'll really love me now, Karen:D That's part of why I LIKED the show (rudeness excluded--there were definitely times my jaw dropped and I thought a line was crossed). But it's like anything else---you become a celebrity you know beforehand you will be hounded by paparazzi--so don't bitch about it (unless they're hounding your kids to which I'm adamantly against). Same with American Idol--all of them are briefed beforehand--they know they are going to be judged and they know it will be televised if they are "entertaining" enough. So with that said, let the funny comments commence, as far as I'm concerned.

:P

Fuck it. I'll say it. Everyone who watches reality tv shows is stupid.:ph34r:

Well, you're wrong, of course.

People are different in many different ways, including what they enjoy for entertainment. I'm sure there are tons of perfectly intelligent people who find reality TV shows to be good entertainment. Likewise, even though I think MTV is full of stupid shows, I'm not going to generalize and label everyone who watches MTV as idiots. What one chooses to watch on TV is not necessarily a reflection of one's intelligence.

Well, I guess I think that if someone is attracted to a show because of the fact that it ridicules and embarasses people, that says something about that person.

Well, I guess I think that if someone is attracted to a show because of the fact that it ridicules and embarasses people, that says something about that person.

It might, it might not. People can have very different intentions, though they might have the same reaction--to laugh, or cry, or be pissed.

If I trip and fall (as long as I'm obviously OK) and someone points and laughs I don't really take that as that is a bad/mean person. People need to learn to laugh at themselves and it's OK to laugh at/with others, too sometimes.

We disagree, but one thing I do know/can tell is that why you feel the way you do about "American Idol" is coming from a good place/good intentions. So, there's no reason at this point for me to have to dislike you or think anything negative about you simply b/c we have a deferring opinion and interest.

I don't think generally, the intentions/comments are mean-spirited on American Idol. It's a singing competition. One tries out and expects to be judged. Simon says "You absolutely can not sing". That is his judgement, and he's usually correct, and frankly kids need to stop being told they're so wonderful and great at everything and given 20th place awards b/c then they will be given false premise to base their aspirations on. How does one ever get the want to be better at something if they're always praised for their mediocre school performance, sports performance or in this case, singing performance.

Anywho....whew....I think I just took that to speaker's corner (sorry Andrea:P).

;)

One thing I know for certain about myself is that why I enjoy American Idol does NOT come from a bad/mean-sprited place. So I'm OK if someone might think otherwise b/c I enjoy the show.

:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuck it. I'll say it. Everyone who watches reality tv shows is stupid.

Well, you're wrong, of course. ***

Until a few weeks ago, I would probably have been in the former camp to some extent...hated "Idol", never like Survivor, the rest were too hideous to even ponder.

Then I started watching "The Next Food Network Star".

Got to the third episode (where the second of the six competitors was about to be eliminated), and realized I was now actually interested in who was going to leave, and who might stay. I had developed an opinion, I kinda liked one or two of these people, and really disliked a couple as well. At which point I turned to my wife and shrieked (in a small, girlish voice that belonged to a stranger): "OH MY GOD! I'm watching a REALITY SHOW"!!!

So, I guess I'm stupid. :)
But at least I don't watch "American Idol", that would be really bad...;)
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash