Andy_Copland

Another Reason I Love The Nitro

The nitro is an awesome canopy, not confused with the nitron which is acopy of the nitro. I probably have about 1300 jumps on the 135 nitro, the canopy is fucking awesome.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

So who took the video that bounces all over the place and makes you seasick trying to watch it? Chad?

:D:D

...the same guy who did Caroline's recurrency jump. Caroline is a great skydiver...she got into frame on two or three occasions. The altimeter is an even better skydiver...it got more frame time than she did!

:P

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

now that you jump a canopy with HMA lines you want to collapse and pull the slider down ASAP after deployment

the reason for this is that the slider grommets will beat the hell out of the HMA lines where they attach to your links (whether they are soft or hard links)

the higher your wingloading, the faster your forward speed, the more violently the slider vibrtaes and the quicker the grommets will wear through your lines

there are many other advantages to pulling the slider down, but on canopies with HMA lines, the life of your lineset is certainly one of the main ones

you also might want to look into what the 'screen safe area' is, most camcorders used in skydiving captures some video outside of the 'screen safe area', but this is not displayed on your viewfinder or LCD

it does show up on a computer though, and you can see some of your helmet/box/lens vignetting/ whatever, which you may not have seen on your viewfinder/LCD/TV, so maybe zoom your lens in just a touch if you can and that will get rid of it

the reason for this is that the slider grommets will beat the hell out of the HMA lines where they attach to your links (whether they are soft or hard links)

the higher your wingloading, the faster your forward speed, the more violently the slider vibrtaes and the quicker the grommets will wear through your lines

my nitro has around 500 jumps, i never pull the slider over the stops and from my experience there is no significant wear on the lines
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

my nitro has around 500 jumps, i never pull the slider over the stops and from my experience there is no significant wear on the lines

well, if your profile is correct, your wingloading is kinda low for most HMA lined canopies (as they tend to put HMA on higher performance canopies and they only really make sense to have if you load them), so the effect will be less pronounced

as for wear, it's really hard to spot on HMA, they keep looking pretty good until the moment that they snap

but don't take my word for it, ask a manufacturer

I wouldn't take your perceived exception to the norm as a reason to not take a measure that will keep my lines from snapping.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher