kharkness

Rigger Seal Presses

Thanks to some information from a couple of riggers at Skydive Snohomish (one of which died in the recent Caravan crash), I have an update to that article with more options and what looks to be a better U.S.-based option to the seal press I use. I'll try and post it on my web site later tonight.

Also, I do have an old Para-Gear seal press that I would sell the original poster...not sure on price. I'll have to see what I paid for it and what it would cost you to get new dies for it. Send me an e-mail if you're interested.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Mike says he has one but usually they a used one is very rare. Riggers have their rating until surrenderd or death. I don't do anywhere near as much rigging as a full time rigger and my first 25 year old paragear press is still going strong.

As a note, someone on here once spoke about plastic seals used in Europe. He (don't remember the name, have to look) was kind enought to send me some. I tried them once or twice and kind of forgot about them. But they were interesting.

Mike, the smaller dies from germany seemed to leave a thick ridge around the die imprint. Did it make for more thickness under flaps?

I'll have to go look for your update. From time to time I've looked around for another press but haven't found one.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Here's one I found first thing searching tonight. Along with plastic seals on another page. Hmmm, may have to think about it. At least the plastic seals.

http://www.sealingwire.us/sealpress.htm

These are usually used with wire but don't see why thread would make any difference.

Also in searching most places that sell the seal press and dies we use from paragear sell 1/2" seals. Probably fit the 1/2" dies from paragear better. The seals from paragear seem to be 3/8''.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I saw these one other time somewhere. They have a bolt instead of the roll pin. Generally somewhat better quality but similar design to paragear IIRC. I think the one I bid on says 50 available. Also just ordered some 1/2" lead seals and an engraved die with a 7 digit number on it.;)

TAKE THE CREDIT CARD AWAY FROM ME NOW!

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Got the seal press. 1962 military un-issued, complete with die with U.S.B| Also got the 1/2" lead seals. Haven't sealed a rig with them but tried them out. Easily gets all of your symbol. Haven't decided if there is too much lead.

Go the die with my lic # also. No, it's not my SSN, anymore.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I can't find the ones from Europe.>:( I've been trying to find some in the U.S. I found one site but whenever I try to order the site screws up going to Paypal. I may or may not have ordered them last night.:S

The best source seems to be in Italy. I've sent an email to see if there is a dealer in the U.S.

The lead 1/2" seals will certainly catch the seal symbol. I'm trying to decide if there is any issue with using them. Other than falling faster I haven't found any.

I'll let folks know if I find plastic seals in the U.S. or for shipment to the U.S.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I ordered one and got it yesterday. My para gear seal press still worked, but never did work very well. As hard as I would try to get all 3 letters on the seal, I never could.

This one is much higher quality and is much easier to use. All 3 letters are easy to get on the seal and are very 'crisp'.

Derek

I've got some 1/2" seals now instead of the 3/8". I post a pic later today. Also ordered a die with my license number on it. Work great in my paragear press. The 1962 version went in the drawer for future use. Still working on the plastic seals. Never could get that website to work for ordering them.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Derek & Terry:

Thanks for the info and reviews. I ordered some of the plastic seals from them without problem (I used a CC instead of PayPal.) I'll let you know what I think once I get them.

I plan to order a press and dies from them as well; I've e-mailed them about a blank (no symbol) CSS or Downwind logo for the opposite side - that would be WAY cool B|. Was doubtful - but if they can put your rigger # on there, who knows what they can do?

To the new rigger OP: I do have an extra military press I'd sell, but for what I would charge for it you should probably go with the guys who are linked on this page, based on amazingly low price and Derek's report.

Best,
Dawn

I'm one of the riggers that Mike spoke about from Skydive Snohomish who has this press. Like Derek said it is a great design, very sturdy and does a good job of fitting the 3 digits onto the lead.

I did a lot of research and called quite a few manufactures before ordering this from Sealexim. I was mainly concerned with getting a small logo on the back side die and Alex was one of the only manufacturers that could accommodate my request at a reasonable price.

I drafted my artwork up in photoshop and sent it to him as a JPG file. Once he had the die completed he sent me a photo of both his finished product and as well a pressed lead seal. He does use a round bit on his engraver, so it is difficult for him to make sharp edges on the engraving. But once my logo was scaled down for the die, I couldn’t even tell. My friend got a logo that was pretty intricate and his came out well too.

nick

Nick -

Thanks for passing on this info. I got an e-mail from their designer yesterday; they couldn't transfer either of my logos onto a seal; but then my logos are pretty intricate.

The plastic seals rock! They are definitely easier to use, and end up very tight & flat.

I'm off to order my new press and dies.

Thanks to everyone for posting and sharing your information.

Best,
Dawn

I ordered one and got it yesterday. My para gear seal press still worked, but never did work very well. As hard as I would try to get all 3 letters on the seal, I never could.

This one is much higher quality and is much easier to use. All 3 letters are easy to get on the seal and are very 'crisp'.

Derek

Derek,

I unfortunately have to recommend NOT purchasing from this company.

The company has only an e-mail address - no phone number. I purchased on your recommendation.

Half of my e-mails have gone unanswered, including the last e-mail I sent a few days ago, asking where my press was at. They charged my credit card, and after asking a few times for a ship date, told me it would have shipped last week. Based upon the shipping option I paid for, it should have been here!

I have asked for a tracking number or confirmation via e-mail. 2 business days later - no return e-mail.

I hold small mom-n-pops and large multinationals to the same business expectations of answering customer service and sales questions within two business days, and shipping when promised.

Hence, I would not do business with this gentleman again.

I wasn't impressed with the communication I had with them when the checkout for plastic seals didn't work. And didn't work after they said it was fixed. Not a warm and fuzzy feeling. I've held off trying again.

But I haven't found any other source for plastic seals in this country. Did I miss something?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Status Update.

I got the www.sealingwire.us press in the mail today...

The post mark date was the 18th - which coincidentially lines up with the date I e-mailed him, "I have not received it yet, it should be here now, what is the tracking number?"

Impressions:

1) The letters all fit perfectly, the first time, on the seal. I am impressed. Much better fit than any of the paragear presses I have seen used and/or used when I was under supervision of others.

2) He delivered. However, if he would have sent me an email saying, "dude, I am sorry... I screwed up... I sent it today --- or --- With Christmas we got behind schedule..." I would have sung his praise instead of still feeling bit out of the loop.

I've got some 1/2" seals now instead of the 3/8". I post a pic later today. Also ordered a die with my license number on it. Work great in my paragear press. The 1962 version went in the drawer for future use. Still working on the plastic seals. Never could get that website to work for ordering them.

Terry,

Its been a few days, wheres the pics? :P

You're saying that the newer (nicer) seal die works in the paragear press? Can you post pics of how the seals look (and you're still using the 1/2"?)

I recently aquired a (free) press, which I need to get some dies for... and would rather get something thats nice and crisp, not so much like the paragear ones...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message