karenmeal

My Dog is Sick!

I'm posting this with the hope that someone on here has some veterinary knowledge. I took my dog into the vet this morning because he was starting to act really weird.

He is a lab husky mix and is 11 years old. He hasn't really had any health problems before.

It started this morning when his behavior was off and at 6 am he started whining to try to wake me up, normally he waits to go outside till I get up. I tried to take him outside and he refused to go outside (We have to walk up a small flight of stairs to go outside.) I didn't think much about it until later, I figured that he just wanted to wake me up and get some attention. Then later, I patted the bed to get him to jump up and was going to pet him. He tried to jump on the bed and cried out in pain, then laid down on the floor and started panting really heavily and shaking. It freaked me out!

So I took him into the vet to have him looked at because I was clueless about what was going on. He was acting completely miserable and it was so sudden. Last night he was playing with us and seemed to be feeling perfectly fine.

Anyone have any clues as to what could be going on? The fact that he started having tremors and was breathing so heavily has me really worried.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

What did your vet say?

Don't know what to tell you - I have no knowledge and have never had a dog, but I hope he's doing better soon. :(
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well, they haven't said anything yet.

Since they were booked today, they just had me bring him in and drop him off. They were going to do some observations, and have the vet sneak in a visit with him in between appointments. They should be calling me back in about 2 hours or so.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Aaaah jeez, thats the worst!! I have four dogs..Pets are not like humans, thats for sure...when they get sick, its just like a light switch went on as opposed to us we "feel" it coming on...Do you think he may have "pulled" a muscle or something playing last night?

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I've said a prayer for you and your pup.

While I don't have veterinary knowledge, I do have lots-o-animals and have grown up with them, volunteered for them, etc.

My dog acted that same way once before, but I don't know if it's the same thing---if it is, it's a simple as him needing to go to the bathroom (diarrehea) and having holded it b/c he knew he wasn't supposed to inside the house. We never keep our dog in more than 5 hours tops w/out a bathroom break (it's cruel)--rarely even that--most of the time he gets to go out every 2 hours (he's spoiled). He had actually just gone out about an hour earlier, but apparantly had to go again since then. Diarrehea causes dehydration so he, too, was panting. Also, the stomach pain (gas) can be painful and he was definitely whining.

It didn't require a vet visit---I immediately took him out and he immediately "did his business" and I kept a close eye on him after that, but he was perfectly fine.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I guess it is possible that he pulled a muscle, but I seem to remember normal before after we finished playing last night. Maybe he did do something and is just really sore now?

Part of me feels like I over reacted and should have waited a bit, but I just felt so bad for him.

A muscle might not be sore until the next day, I hope that's all it is. Don't think you jumped too soon in taking him to the vet, you were just being a good mama!! Let us know when you hear from the vet and good luck!!
Ashley Martin

"Corazon" Rodriguez
PMS #462

That's so reasonable - he can't tell you what's wrong, or how bad it is. Could be nothing, could be something. There's nothing wrong with "overreacting" - you're just reacting in the best interest of your pet. :)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

That's so reasonable - he can't tell you what's wrong, or how bad it is. Could be nothing, could be something. There's nothing wrong with "overreacting" - you're just reacting in the best interest of your pet.

So true. You know your dog best and if you have a gut feeling he needs help, then go with that.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Ah geez, Karen. Sorry to hear it. [:/]

I never have needed to take a sick dog in to the vet, so I'm sorry I can't give any advice.

Luvs for Jonas. hope he is feeling better, the big ole' bear...maybe he ate something that didn't agree with him out behind your house. Dogs eat vegetation now and then, maybe a plant he ate is making his tummy sore. And for some weird reason, some poisonous plants grow right around horse paddocks and barns. Horses tend to leave them alone, but maybe Jonas got a bite of something that isn't so healthy.

-Come to think of it, growing up one of our dogs ate some of those poisonous berry plants outside. I do remember him being sick and getting better, but I don't remember taking him to the vet for it.

Good luck. He's such a strong doggie, I'm sure he'll be ok. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Well, We got Jonah back and he is doing OK. He will be fine.

The vet suspects that he got into something bad that upset his system. They said that he has pancreatitis and is going to be on a course of antibiotics and a modified diet for a little while.

He was in pain because his pancreas is swollen and that is why his belly was so bloated.

But anyways.. he will be back to normal in a few days, hooray!! Poor boy, he seems a little mad at me for subjecting him to the vet.

Thanks for the well wishes.

-Karen

The ice cube is a good thought, especially since he can't eat tonight.

He is such a cute boy, right now he is sprawled out on a bean bag beside me with his head propped up on his pink cow pillow.:P

Well, We got Jonah back and he is doing OK. He will be fine.

The vet suspects that he got into something bad that upset his system. They said that he has pancreatitis and is going to be on a course of antibiotics and a modified diet for a little while.

He was in pain because his pancreas is swollen and that is why his belly was so bloated.

But anyways.. he will be back to normal in a few days, hooray!! Poor boy, he seems a little mad at me for subjecting him to the vet.

Thanks for the well wishes.

-Karen

Very good news that he'll be better shortly! :)
Sorry I spelled his name wrong. I suck at that. :$ -Quite frankly I'm surprised that the grammar police/spelling gestapo didn't catch it. She's already in the dang thread! Yer slipping, Krisanne. :P:ph34r:
~Jaye

Sorry I spelled his name wrong. I suck at that. :$ -Quite frankly I'm surprised that the grammar police/spelling gestapo didn't catch it. She's already in the dang thread! Yer slipping, Krisanne. :P:ph34r:

Hey now! Until Karen wrote it, I'm not sure I'd ever seen his name written down ... so I could only assume that your spelling was a valid one. :P

Hey now! Until Karen wrote it, I'm not sure I'd ever seen his name written down ... so I could only assume that your spelling was a valid one. :P

Oh sure...just go ahead and blame ME for...uh, my mistake. :|

Thank goodness JONAH cannot read to be offended! :ph34r:
~Jaye