elias123

Quick question about webbed gloves

Can I use webbed gloves for skydiving that are actually intended for scubadiving? If not, does anyone know where I can buy webbed gloves that can be safely used for skydiving? (like those in the pic attached?) Thanks in advance!

Eli :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

You can find a skydiving version on paragear.
http://paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=148&parent=6&level=2
I'm not a big fan of gloves.
Without gloves I can give myselft a pin check right before exit by feeling the position of the closing loop on the pin. With gloves this thing is harder to do, for me at least.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Thanks! I have some credit with paragear so I'll order them. Thank you for the link :) I do alot of checks before boarding the airplane and on the ride up to altitude, but I've never checked my pin by feeling it. I only check it on the ground a few times and always when I put the rig on. Didn't really thought about doing it on the plane. Doesn't your main flap become lose then?

Eli

Thanks!

My pleasure.

Doesn't your main flap become lose then?

It might, I guess it depends on the container you have. I have a dolphin and it works perfectly. Try it few times on the ground and form your style. Is nice not to depend on people to give you a pin check. The reserve pin it's another story.

I can't really say wich container it is I use because I still use clubgear and the setup differs sometimes. I have a rig/atom container with an electra 150 but I don't use it yet for safety issues. Good that you check it though. And I do ask other people to check my pin btw. I always ask an instructor to give me a gear check and usually I even ask a second.

Blues
eli

I've given some more thought as I was cleaning the house while wearing some gloves :P

I don't really see the point of adding more drag to the hands and on the flip side, it might be it harder to reach for the hacky with all that extra drag. The extra fabric might become a problem when you unstow the toggles, when you need to use a hook knife, etc.

My advice is to buy regular gloves (like the PD ones) or no gloves at all for the summer. And as it happens, you already are the proud owner of "no gloves at all" :)
Happy Landings,
Jean-Arthur Deda.

where I can buy webbed gloves that can be safely used for skydiving?

My question and concern is why do you need to use webbed gloves with only 65 skydives? The use of webbed gloves will make grasping your hacky, toggles as well as your emergency handles different from no gloves, which is a concern at your current level in the sport. I cannot think of why you would have a justifiable need to use them right now and caution you against using them. Be safe, not sorry.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I bought some several years ago. But I've never decided that I wanted to waste a jump checking them out. And I wouldn't do ANYTHING else but concentrate on deploying with them on the first jump.

This is the kind of thing that can add to a cascade of issues.

There's better things to spend your money on for now.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Perhaps you're right. But even if I ordered them, I'd still be a long time before I'd actually use em. It's just that I have some credit at paragear and now that I realised that I can buy them there, I thought to myself, why shouldn't I? Guess I'll wait some more and save the credit for something else. Btw, if I would have bought them, I would definately concentrate only on opening/deploying with them at a relatively high altitude and do nothing else but fall on my belly on that jump.

Greets
Eli

Can I use webbed gloves for skydiving that are actually intended for scubadiving? If not, does anyone know where I can buy webbed gloves that can be safely used for skydiving? (like those in the pic attached?) Thanks in advance!

Eli :)

Sure. I used a set of Speedo webbed gloves when I was skysurfing.

Obviously they'll affect your flying and make the handles feel different.

I had some toggles that I couldn't fit my hands in while wearing gloves a lot less bulky than neoprene; checking that on the ground would be very important.

What's the point of the webebed gloves anyway?

They let you pivot faster about your yaw axis as a beginning sky surfer.

Obviously skysurfing is inappropriate for some one who does not have a good handle on flying in a head-up position which is not possible at 65 jumps without tunnel time and even then 200+ jumps would be a good point at which you should have developed the calmness and situational awareness you'll need when things go wrong.

Without a board holding your feet together you can get more rotation with your lower legs so they're unnecessary.

Experienced sky surfers have moves where they use the board's surface area to get spinning really fast. Like the invisible man...

I know a couple jumpers that (at least used to) swear by them for bigway RW (for outside slots of course). They said they helped with fallrate range and tracking. One described that with the webbed gloves, he'd track with his arms much wider and he'd get better speed and a flatter track.

Don't know if they really work for those things, but I would definitely agree that they are a bad idea for someone with so few jumps. They complicate things for no reason, and they might really hurt the learning process. The people that I know that used them had thousands of jumps.

Dave

Thanks!

My pleasure.

Doesn't your main flap become lose then?

It might, I guess it depends on the container you have. I have a dolphin and it works perfectly. Try it few times on the ground and form your style. Is nice not to depend on people to give you a pin check. The reserve pin it's another story.

so, on these self done pin checks... how do you know if the pilot chute is cocked? how about the bridal not doing anything funny... I think pin checks have a visual aspect to them more than just feeling if the pin is in the loop.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

If the pilot chute was cocked and the bridle was routed properly when you put the rig on (and you *did* check it before you put it on, didn't you?), the PC is not going to uncock itself and the bridle is not going to misroute itself on the plane. The pin, on the other hand, has a fighting chance at getting dislodged.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I know that it probably won't make much of a difference, but still.

Take the money you would spend on webbed gloves, and put it towards your own gear, or an alti, or an audiable, or a tracking dive and learn to track. I did a few 100 dives with webbed gloves in the early 90's while learning to skysurf, and doing some camera.

Webbed gloves are bullshit. They'll do nothing for your track, and I'll bet within 50 jumps something will happen that will make you wish you never wore them.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

as you can also make your own web gloves from regular gloves.

How would you make them?

I'll just reply to that, and not the issue of whether the original poster needs or should used webbed gloves.

Webbed gloves can be much simpler to make than regular gloves, if one has access to materials. The skydiving ones I have from the early 90s are pretty much just a layer of heavy spandex style material on top of a layer of leather like material. Then it is just sewn around 3 sides and around the fingers as if one traced around one's stretched hand. There is also an all Spandex cuff that complicates things a bit.

I've seen another brand that is more like cycling gloves in that the finger tips are open. Less area, worse when cold, but better for grabbing things.

I experimented with the webbed gloves a few times for style sets, beginning to sit fly (way back in the sit suit era), and tandem video. No fun when dealing with toggles and risers for a small crossbraced canopy these days.