Nomad

Hornet ZP fabric

Why in the world would you switch from a Sabre2 to a hornet? I had a hornet for a week. It almost snapped me and another guy in half. Sure they fly GREAT if you're still conscious to enjoy it. Yes the 2nd gen does open a bit better but it's still a brutal canopy if not packed perfectly every time. Don't buy a 20year old canopy design. They don't make the hornet anymore for a reason. Ease of packing should never be a factor in canopy buying. If you have trouble packing new canopies, practice. They are easy once you figure it out.

texmex

Why in the world would you switch from a Sabre2 to a hornet? I had a hornet for a week. It almost snapped me and another guy in half. Sure they fly GREAT if you're still conscious to enjoy it. Yes the 2nd gen does open a bit better but it's still a brutal canopy if not packed perfectly every time. Don't buy a 20year old canopy design. They don't make the hornet anymore for a reason. Ease of packing should never be a factor in canopy buying. If you have trouble packing new canopies, practice. They are easy once you figure it out.

I have heard that a few times but it's mostly bullshit. I and others I know put hundreds of jumps on Hornets without ever getting hammered by them.
ALL canopies require due diligence when packing and opening.
ALL canopies can spank you if mistreated.
I had ONE dodgy opening om my Hornet and it was due to ME not the canopy. 450 jumps on it.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

all the lightly-tapered-9-cell-semi-elliptical-etc-etc canopies are going to have similar overall flight characteristics

demo a few and pick the one that suits your personal taste; if you can't tell the difference, or they aren't different enough to matter to you personally, just buy the cheapest one :P

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Pitt Meadows used to have 4 Hornet 190s that they used for advanced students (nearing A Certificate) and rental for visiting jumpers.
I never heard anyone complain about hard openings and malfunctions were so rare that I would have to read back through six rigger's logbooks to jog my memory.
Bottom line, Hornets are great canopies as long as you use them for what they were designed for.

labrys

They still make the Hornet, they just changed the name to "Pilot" Oh, and doubled the price.
Wink

Exactly

Yeah that would actually be a NO, the Pilot and hornet are different planforms
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

labrys

Yeah that would actually be a NO, the Pilot and hornet are different planforms

No they aren't. They're both 9-cell semi/lightly elliptical.

So is a Sabre2 and Safire2 ALL 4 are different planforms
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm not being obtuse. Planform actually means something when you're discussing canopies. We tell people not to change planforms and downsize at the same time. That means, for example, not to downsize and go from a lightly elliptical to a fully elliptical canopy at the same time.

It doesn't mean that you shouldn't downsize and switch from a Hornet to a Pilot at the same time. It's the change of what we commonly accept the term "planform" to mean as canopy pilots.
Owned by Remi #?

Sigh... maybe this will help.

No, not really. That's a general purpose, non-skydiving definition and I have no issues with it.

In skydiving terms, the word 'planform' is very commonly used to differentiate between classes of canopies and how tapered they are. Even though almost every single canopy made is actually elliptical, we call them square (Spectre), lightly elliptical (Sabre2, Pilot, Hornet, Saffire), fully elliptical (Katana, Stilletto)

When someone here says "Don't change planforms and downsize at the same time", they're really saying don't switch to a more elliptical class of canopy and downsize at the same time. It is common usage here.

This whole argument started when someone claimed that the Hornet and the Pilot are 2 different planforms. In our common usage, I say that they are the same planform. They are both lightly elliptical.
Owned by Remi #?

My wife has a hornet 150. I pack it because she occasionally will pack like shit. You cannot trash pack this canopy!! Flake everything and roll the outer 4 nose cells in and tuck them into the nose of e center cell. Double stow, tightly all non-locking stows and it swivels and opens in 3-500 ft. It's definitely easy to pack, the fabric is thicker and easier to handle, but that being said, you better make sure it's perfect. She's had packers(who were very well trained) pack her slammers that she came down with bruises and a bloody lip. So, have fun. She's currently waiting for a safire2 to be done being made. Wanna buy a hornet 150?
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...