nakedfool

altimeter Watch for skydiving? Never seen this one...

anyone know if this watch can/has been used for skydiving?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000124&subcategory=60001135&brand=&sku=17800&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Watches

its only 40 bucks so i was just curious...

i dont think i would be comfortable using this as my main altimeter, but if it works good, i could find some use for it (maybe)

It's very likely to be too slow to be useful in freefall. And the marketing BS about accurate to within 1m is always a bad sign. OTOH, if you're doing a jump over 18k (the limit of the Galaxy), it would be nice to have confirmation of the exit altitude.

I used a lot of altimeter watches from the 90s while backbacking. I found that generally the cheap was were cheap for a reason. But $40 is cheap if you see it more as a lark than a useful instrument.

I'm working out the preliminary plans for a type of digital altimeter. The cost for a quality pressure sensing component alone is approx $40. In quantity of 1000+ it only drops to $30. If you're looking at an entire watch for this price then I would be concerned.

You have to take temperature compensation, signal drift and a whole host of other things into account when looking at this problem. I decided my ass was worth at least the $300 I paid for my altimeter.

-Michael

There are other, less costly, sensors available other than the Motorolla.
(Although you usually have to also measure temperature as well, and do your own offset).

But, if you're only making a couple for personal use, the Motrolla one is nice a sugarcoated! Too bad it's so damn bulky! (and has such a limited supply voltage range)

I've got about 200 jumps on mine now - It's still works decently, but I'd never lend it out!

If I ever find the time to do another altimeter, I'll probably try using something else for a change - even if it does mean alot more development time!