FlyingJarhead

has anyone ever skydived high?

There was a time in my life when I did everything high. EVERYTHING! If I had been skydiving then I'm sure I would have done it stoned. Now there is no way I would ever do it loaded. Skydiving is such a high in itself that I see no reason to do it stoned. I like to be of clear mind up there. I no my reaction time is alot slower when I'm high even tho I used to argue that point. The people I've talked to that do or have jumped loaded say it sounds like a good idea at the time but afterwards they are wondering why the hell they did it. Same with drinking. I really don't want them in the air with me.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Well........I recall my first night jump, I asked some of my friends if we were going to get lit?!?!?! They said "well yea, a couple of beers and a toke or 20" and of course I said "NO, are we going to wear LIGHTS??" :S

They had to wake me 3 times on the way to altitude, it was my first 5 way from a C-182!!!

Thank God I lived through those days!!!

I also used to measure distance from home to the DZ in beer, I have never lived more than a six pack from a DZ!!!!

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I smoked a rather large spliff on the way out to Raeford one fine summer morning. Had borrowed team gear to do some accuracy. Now this was a wnderhog w/a belly band, standard weight cloud, tricon reserve w/ open vents, no aad. As I was completely stoned now, I decided to pop the container and check the pack job. When I closed it, I misrouted the bridle and packed a pilot chute in tow.

I exited the airplane at 2200 ft, no suit, just an accuracy load. I dumped about two grand and fought w/ the pilot chute for about 1,500 ft. Finally I got stable, pulled a ripcord, and saw this red white and blue nylon "telephone pole" coming straight off my back. I looked down and knew I was gonna die.

The reserve opened, pretty hard as I remember, cause I lost a sneaker, then I hit the ground. The canopy ride lasted about three seconds.

That was the last time...

Time: Late '70's
Location: Sunset demo jump into a lakeside cottage. LZ was a very small empty lot next to the cottage with a party in full swing. The only "outs" were either:
a) Heavy woods that extended for a mile every direction.
b) Lake.

I had about 100 jumps, and was the least experienced jumper on the load. On the climb up, I learned that I was also the only one on the load without a noseful of Bolivian Marching Powder.

After opening, I set up into the wind, (about 12 mph). If I fell short I would land on the house next door. If I overshot I would be heading for the side of the two-story house on thte other side of the lot. The good news was I was jumping a ParaFoil; The bad news was I was loaded at 1:1, which is more than you really want for accuracy.

I had a nice approach set up for the empty lot, but due to my inexperience, I didn't allow for what was about to happen as I descended below the treeline. At that point I suddenly found myself surging for the side of the house next door.

Panic flat turn to the right! Whew! No more house coming at me, but OH SHIT! The hot tub! Picked up feet to avoid hitting the side of the tub! Watched people in tub doing panic surface dives as I swooped the tub at about 12 inches. Tumbled into lawn between trees, sliding to a stop about 20 feet from the edge of the lake.

Roughly the same thing happened to one of the other jumpers, but he had the misfortune of crashing into a large bush before he came to a stop, and the bush contained a large stump that broke his foot.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

a few times i was tempted to open high and hit up a sneak a toke under canopy. Now that im in the army the ganja is not part of my life anymore. It isnt worth it. when they treat people pissing hot on drug test like child molesting murders, i think its best to stay away.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Some of you guys may remember Power Hitters...great for freefall AND under canopy.

Somebody (not me), tried a hookah. It was for under canopy but during the freefall all the stinky-assed water came out and sprayed all over him. He didn't have many friends until he washed his jumpsuit.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I have. A few years back. When i had about sixty jumps in fact. It was on a two way freefly jump. Looking back it probably wasn't the smartest decision. And now that i'm into camera work and high performance canopy piloting, there can be nothing that clouds my head when i climb in the plane. I still enjoy smoking a joint from time to time but that's reserved strictly for after the jump day.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

He'd drop 4-5 tabs in the morning with coffee, the "Green Is DOWN" on his helmet was to remind him WHICH way
was back to the Planet

ROFLMAO!!!!

Right before my level 3, my JMs took me out to the van to partake in some agricultural products. I loved it.
We are all engines of karma

what up devildog.

it is a lot more common in the underground than you may think. i personally, from experience, would not advise it for anyone. it takes an extra sense of control; but that isn't the issue...it doesn't make the experience of jumping any better. the sky is much easier to appreciate when you are straight i think.

and yes, i happen to think it affects your judgement for accuracy and such. if you're just planning to fall - then pull - then flare, not learn anything, nor get any better at what you are doing, swooping, or whatever your goals are in the "sport". if this is just a pasttime that you happen to take seriously, which few do, then maybe it is ok.

but still, be careful with it. :)
last person i knew who was wasted up there died. :|

always faithful B|

...I had a nice approach set up for the empty lot, but due to my inexperience, I didn't allow for what was about to happen as I descended below the treeline. At that point I suddenly found myself surging...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Oh yeah... Same thing happened to me in '94. Bad spot, found a small field and did some S-turns as I approached the edge of the trees. Was set up nicely for the middle of the field when I fell below the treeline and surged forward, running nearly full speed into the trees just a few feet off the ground.

Tore up my Star Trac a bit, but a rigger friend adopted the project as a personal hobby and fixed it up real nice.

Cheers,
Jon