simplyputsi

I just can't take it, Help my shins!!!

Ok, so I need advice on what to do about shin splints or whatever they are called. You all know what I'm talking about. The excruciating pain in your shins you get from running.

I want this problem to go away for me. I was told once it has to do with your bones and that it could lead to a stress fracture if not taken care of. More recently I was told it has to do with your muscle and a stress fracture probably isn't going to happen.
I've been told that it is my running style. That I come down on my heels to hard and need to get up on my toes more. Ummmmm I've always been told it's heel to toe for running. How the hell do you run on your toes???

Anyway I ice my legs after running and actually for the past couple weeks even if I have not ran. I used this stuff called flex all and that helps with the pain, but it's temporary.
Are there any exercises I can do? Stretches? Should I look into arch support of some sort?
help me!!!!
And no I can not just stop running. I can take maybe a week off, but I'd like to keep running this summer.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I was told there isn't anything you can do for the problem...I got them while running track in HS...have you changed running shoes...that MAY help...but yeah your right...its your running "style" or lack there of.;)

They do hurt like a bitch though...feel for ya.[:/]

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Do you have decent shoes?

Maybe if you go to a specialty shoe shop, they can help you find shoes that will encourage you to run properly.

I didn't know this until recently, but I pronate when I run. The guy at the store recommended shoes with a roll bar (I think that's what it's called). I don't know if they make special shoes for someone with your issue, but you could check and see.
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

The office secretary has a daughter in physical therapy for them and she was in hs track as well.
I don't know when my running style went bad but I guess it did.
Pain is the body getting stronger right? :S

junkie, I think I will be looking into a specialty shop. A friend told me about one but problem is they only help you if your gonna buy from them. I can get shoes for cost from my older brother. New shoes are on my list ASAP, but I fear they will not fix this problem.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Temporary fix, go get a serious deep tissue massage and have them focus on your legs.

Long term, fix your running.

The muscles are tight and they are pulling on the periosteum which surrounds your bones. Periosteum serves as the anchor point for muscles and also contains nerves and blood vessels. It's the reason you feel pain when you break your bones.

Go get a serious massage regardless. A lot of people don't realize how important it is for your muscles to be in good condition.

EDIT:

I would seriously recommend anyone to go at least once a month to a knowledgeable massage therapist to get all your muscles put back in order.

Muscles connected to almost every part of your internal structure. If your muscles are jacked up, they are gonna mess up everything they are attached to.

So even if you're a guy and don't like being rubbed on by other people, if you have any persistent muscle pain, you need to go beyond heat pads and have someone who knows what they are doing work the knots out.

I need a massage anyway. I try to do it myself, but doubt I'm doing as good a job as a professional.

Junkie, that website is pretty good. Looks like so far I've been doing the right thing, ice and stretching. I've decided today that I must take a week off of my running. I can still bike and swim so no biggie.

I'll pay a visit to the running store here that analyzes your form and tells you what shoe is best for you. I might just go through their stuff buy the shoes and then return them a few days later. Why, because my brother can get me shoes cheap. He can't tell me which are best though. Yes I'm being cheap. I skydive come on.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Generally I get shin splints when I've added too many miles too quickly.

the solutions are stretching (I'm not sure I can describe the stretch I would do to help online...)

in addition to this... drinking fluids will help flush your system...

but... that's just what's worked for me...

edited to add: on second thought you should cut off your legs... that'll eliminate your shin splints. :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

edited to add: on second thought you should cut off your legs... that'll eliminate your shin splints. :P

oh ha ha ha. :P

I don't think I added too many miles too quickly. I started at about 2, then up to 3, then up to 4 then up to 5 then up to 6. All of this on a treadmill this winter. Then when I went to the road I started at 3 miles, up to 4, skipped 5 and up to 6. I was doing a 4 mile, 2 or 3.5 mile and then a 6 mile run each week. Lately it's been all over the place but nothing over 6.
A week off and new shoes and I'll report back. Oh and a massage. Maybe i get happy ending, to this story that is. :D:D:ph34r:
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Generally the most successful method I've see to build mileage is to add no more then 10-15% per week and then about ever other week take a step back..

i.e. the 3 steps forward 1 step back method...

That's how I built for my last marathon and it worked pretty well...B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Shin splints are what ended my track career my Sophomore year of college. I was advised that "shin splints" is a garbage term for about six different things that could be going on with your lower legs. For me personally, it was serious tensing of my calf muscles which caused my shin muscles to overcompensate. This caused the shin muscle to start to rip away from my shin bone. I was given the choice to either continue with track. . . or be able to walk later on in life. Yucky decision.

I'd suggest you go to a doctor to get to the root of the problem. It may be as simple as a shoe switch, but IMHO better safe than sorry.

PMS #394

I want this problem to go away for me.

Shin splints are one of the worst injuries you can get as a runner. They suck the big one. I made the mistake of trying to run through shin splints and ended up putting myself out for two months a couple of years back. Shin splints are no joke.

I was told once it has to do with your bones and that it could lead to a stress fracture if not taken care of. More recently I was told it has to do with your muscle and a stress fracture probably isn't going to happen.

It probably won't lead to a stress fracture, but you should treat the problem as if it could. I don't know your build or your bone density, but those are factors that determine how much worse the injury can get.

I've been told that it is my running style. That I come down on my heels to hard and need to get up on my toes more.

Beware of anyone who tells you to switch up your foot strike. This is awful advice. Running with a toe-first strike works for sprinting, but if you're doing any kind of distance or even a jog, striking toe-first puts more tension on your shins. So the point is -- don't change your foot strike; do what feels natural. Instead, look into orthotics. It's worked wonders for me in regard to this injury.

I ice my legs after running and actually for the past couple

Good, very good. I also recommend anti-inflammatories, they thin out the blood and aid in healing trouble spots in the body. But take them only if your stomach can handle them. And definitely do not drink for hours before/after taking them or you can end up with ulcers like I did last year. That led to internal bleeding that I didn't even know I had, lower hemoglobin, and shitty performance. So be careful with the anti-inflammatories if you do take them.

Are there any exercises I can do?

Yes, stand on the edge of a step with your toes and move your feet up and down, but don't overdo it or you'll end up with sore muscles the next day -- ease into this exercise. It strengthens your anterior shin muscles, which are not worked in running. Makes for better muscle balance and will prevent future injury. As far as stretches go, do a regular calf stretch, but move the ball of your foot side to side, works the peripheral parts of your calf muscles.

And no I can not just stop running.

I know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately, you'll have to stop running. If you do continue, I wish you tons of luck in running through them. Chances are you won't. And the stress fracture risk is *not* something to take lightly. A stress fracture can result from running through shin splints. And a stress fracture will put you out for at least four months. Think about how badly that would suck.

The same attitude ended up putting me out for two months and in spinning classes for most of the summer of 2004 after I ran Boston and didn't recover enough. I made the same mistake again this year, and I haven't run in two weeks because the course ripped up my quads, and I just didn't put aside enough time to recover. I'm still paying for it. But at least it's my quads, not my shins, and it's only a couple of weeks.

I recommend cross-training. Find a good spinning class if you can. Spinning will kick your ass and keep your body in shape for when you hit the road again.

Part of being a good runner is knowing when *not* to run, just like skydiving.

Finally, check out the forums on http://coolrunning.com, specifically the "med tent" forum. You should find some helpful advice there.

Good luck, get better and happy running.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I think maybe you have been listening to Paul Abdul too much. :D

It took me months to get up to 6 miles. So I probably did 2 and 3 for about 2 or 3 weeks, then up to 4 for another 2 weeks, 5 for 2 or 3 and then 6.
I really don't think I did too much too fast. I do however think shoes need to be changed and I need to give my body some time to rest and fix itself. My next tri is in 3 weeks though. [:/]
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Shin splints are caused less by distances being run and by technique and the shoes that you use.

I had the mechanism described as not just a straining of the shin muscle (tibialis antertias) from impact, but also a slight avulsion - tearing of the muscle from the shin bone - that causes the pain.

With running on the heels, the toes violently impact the ground, which is why heel landers and toe runners have high incidence of shin splints. Because the tibialis anterior muscle is responsible for the dorsiflexion of the foot, the impact causes a violent stretch of the muscle.

I had a miserable case of them in high school from playing soccer - the filed was pretty hard and cleats aren't designed to protect that runnning. Not until I got to college did I learn what shin splints were, and realized, "Damn. I had them BAD!"

The best therapy is rest - probably about a month. After that, start doing exercises where you strengthen that muscle by attaching weight to your toes and doing lifts.

Most crucial if you don't have a coach to correct your mechanics (and who here can afford that?) - get the right pair of running shoes. Your running shoes should be adequately padded for your running style. Whe I switched to Saucony running shoes I had no more problems. They have enough padding at the heals (I walk and run HEAVILY on my heels) to absorb the impact, and usually have enough arch support to prevent the rolling of the feet that can magnify the problem.

Higher-end running shoes are actually worse for you! They are designed for people who have developed proper running mechanics, and therefore do not have the adequate cushioning at the heel.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

awesome!!!
seems you have good advice. I did not think the up on my toes running was a good idea and thus the reason I have decided not to try it.
I do stretch my calf, but maybe I need to just do it better. I also do ride a bike, not a spin class. I swim also, well I call it swimming. I am not concerned in becoming out of shape because of this, but rather not improving my run and thus slower time. I might just have to make that time up on the bike as much as I can though, or the swim.

Thanks. Good advice from everybody. I was doing some of this but have got a few extra things I can try. I really don't want to work through the pain, as my body is already telling me STOP it damnit!!! I think I've stopped just in time for now.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I have some mizuno's now and they seem to have good cushion. A moron once told me cushion was bad for running. I was like ummmm then why do they always promote cushioning in shoes??
I definitely need the cushion.
Think the more appropriate thing to say is cushion isn't good for everyone, depends on your technique and experience, and running style.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I had them so bad during a training course in the Air Force I almost couldn't walk each morning. I literally had to scoot my feet along because picking them up was excruciating. I'll tell you what worked for me. Take it easy for a week or two. Each day I put ice on them. Not just a little ice. I'm talking I left a bag of ice on both shins for an hour or more. My shins would go completely numb. It pretty much cured the situation in over about 2 weeks and hasn't bothered me since. Of course.........I knew exactly what caused mine. I never got them from running but one day during PT some idiots thought it was a good idea to do 600+ side straddle hops in about an hour. It broke me. :S Lately........I can't run anymore because my right knee just tried to explode. [:/]

In addition to some good info in the previous posts, I'd like to add some things I learned from personal experience:

Are you a "pronator"? People who have low arches, may also tend to have an over-flexible foot that rolls toward the other foot as you apply your weight to it during the stride. I have gotten shin splints simply by buying new shoes and changing nothing else. People who over-pronate need shoes that don't allow excessive lateral rolling of the foot.

Also, (and I really wish someone had told me this years ago), pronators should go to a podiatrist to get orthotic inserts for their shoes to help prevent Hallux Valgus, (aka "bunion"). This is a condition where the over-flexible foot allows the metatarsal behind the big toe to swing out, causing the tendons to pull the toe inward, and playing havoc with the mechanics of the foot. I have already had one surgery, and will likely need another. The surgery is trivial, but the recovery is hell. You have to live flat on your back with feet elevated for a *month*, and can't run for several more.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I do have a low arch and believe this is some of my problem. I would definitely be open to some sort of orthotic. I hate going to the doctor though. That was another thing I've been considering. Going to the doc and saying, help me. I'm not so much a fan of my doc though and don't know how much actual help they would be. I'll have to do some research on a podiatrist.

freeflir ICE is my friend right now trust me.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I.I can't run anymore because my right knee just tried to explode. [:/]

You just reminded me of something that happened months after my foot surgery;

After getting back to running a 6K on alternate days, my left knee, (same leg as the foot surgery), started bothering me more and more until I could not run at all. It felt like someone was grabbing my lower leg and twisting my knee out of place. Walking was no problem.

I went to the doctor and told her the story. Her first comment was: "I can give you a referral to a running clinic to analyze your stride, but first, how old are your shoes?"

I told her they were fairly old, but in excellent condition because I had been doing mostly biking for the last number of years, and not that much running. She strongly advised first trying a new pair of shoes, before going to the clinic. Since it was pretty quick and cheap to try her advice, I did so but skeptically.

The first time out I did five miles with some knee discomfort, but this was a hell of an improvement, because with the old shoes I COULD NO LONGER RUN SIX STEPS. The second time out I did another five miles with a bit less discomfort. The third time out I had no problem whatsoever. That was the cheapest, quickest solution a doctor ever gave me for a medical problem.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.