Calvin19

Sleep, Brain, destroyed legs.

4 months ago i had a horrible paraglider crash, i recieved 2 destroyd lower legs, and a moderate brain injury.
I still am not walking, but that i can deal with.
My problem is i cant sleep.
I was put on a SHIT load of medication. including 2 kinds of sleeping pills. the trazodine and ambien have stopped working. I need to sleep. Im only getting 3 or 4 hours a day now.
Anybody have any ideas?
I dont like meds, im trying to get off of most of them

-SPACE-

Try some Melatonin!! I have our twins on it and it helps tremendously. ;)

Also, if you are a tea drinker, Chammomile tea helps...also anything with Valerian in it.

PS...thank God you are alive, glad you're still with us. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Meditation can help. It takes awhile, but it's a way to turn your brain off from jumping all over the place.

No matter what they had you on, it can affect your ability to go to sleep for awhile.

It's harder for you, because since you're busted up still, keeping your bedroom only for sleeping is harder to do.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

4 that i can deal with.
My problem is i cant sleep.
I was put on a SHIT load of medication. including 2 kinds of sleeping pills. the trazodine and ambien have stopped working. I need to sleep. Im only getting 3 or 4 hours a day now.
Anybody have any ideas?
I dont like meds, im trying to get off of most of them

I got got broken up ten years ago.......and if I get three/four hours sleep I feel fortunate. I gave up the sleep meds long ago and use the pain meds when it gets unbearable.

There used to be a really good herbal sleep aid out there called Maxi-calm....worked awesome....of course the Gov. in their inifnite wisdom forced it off the market......much like Vioxx.
Good luck

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

This is pretty common after an injury like that and/or surgery. I had a terrible time sleeping after both my spine surgeries. I was on Percocet and Soma and then they added Ambien to help me sleep but after a week or two of it, it totally stopped working unless I had a couple of glasses of wine beforehand. They tell you not to drink while taking it though so please don't follow my example.

Anyway, something else I tried was "medical' marijuana. Pot brownies to be exact. Sometimes it helped but sometimes I would have to hide in my room with the tv down real low, totally paranoid that someone would want to talk to me or my phone would ring or something. :S:D

I think the best way to go about getting your sleep pattern back to normal is to try not to get in bed for anything other than sleep. I'm not sure how much you've healed so I don't know if you can get around now but if you can, try and only go to bed when you want to go to sleep. Don't watch tv in bed. Don't even read in bed. Go to bed maybe an hour later than you would normally and just lay there. Even if you can't sleep. Then force yourself up in the morning at the same time regardless of how much sleep you got. It's hard at first but eventually your body will let you go to sleep when you get to bed because it's exhausted from getting up early.

Good luck. I know how much recovery sucks but just remember that it will get better.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)