narcimund

One less nuke

My bother, a civil engineer, astutely pointed out several years ago that there are two interesting stages in a building's lifetime...

When they're being constructed... B|

and my favorite part... When they're being destroyed... >:(:)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

looks like it was taken down the same way the World trade centers were

God, I hope that was sarcasm. If not, I feel sorry for you. For a multitude of reasons.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Why'd they shut that plant down?

In the early 90s there were a lot of mechanical and environmental scares surrounding that plant.

In 1992 there was a statewide ballot measure to (A) shut down the plant and (B) force the investors to eat the loss. The utility spent $millions on ads to convince the voters that the plant was good for 20 more years. They won the election.

Two months after the election they shut down the plant anyway and raised electricity rates to cover the loss -- including the cost of the ads.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Why'd they shut that plant down?

In the early 90s there were a lot of mechanical and environmental scares surrounding that plant.

In 1992 there was a statewide ballot measure to (A) shut down the plant and (B) force the investors to eat the loss. The utility spent $millions on ads to convince the voters that the plant was good for 20 more years. They won the election.

Two months after the election they shut down the plant anyway and raised electricity rates to cover the loss -- including the cost of the ads.

What's the definition of 'Monopoly' again? :|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Lovely. A few years ago I thought about becoming a demolition engineer as I had some experience with explosives (and ok, I admit, it seems like a fun job blowing up stuff). But not enough career 'opportunies' B| as less and less buildings are imploded over here due to environmental rules...>:(. Turned out I'd probably have to wait a few years for an object to take the final exam...

exept the explosives in the WTC were placed more carefully they fell straight down and this one had a bit of a lean on! it must take some thought to make thing fall straight down!;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

exept the explosives in the WTC were placed more carefully they fell straight down and this one had a bit of a lean on! it must take some thought to make thing fall straight down!

Are you guys on crack?
__

My mighty steed