simplyputsi

Have you been drownproofed?

By chance did you ever see the movie "The Perfect Storm".A person could be an olympic level swimmer,far enough out in the ocean,and it wouldn't make a difference

Of course I didn't mean in a storm like that, I'm not an idiot. The boat didn't even stay together! :S

The boat did stay together,it just capsized and sank...........kinda like a mini-Posiden AdventureB|[:/]
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

the big deal is that it was a required course at GA tech back in the day and that you had to pass to graduate. It's a good idea, but they would never get away with such a thing these days. Too many pussies out there.

Actually, you have it sort of backwards. MANY US colleges require/required a swim test in order to graduate. There was just a big stink about it in USA Today. It was sort of a right of passage that one school was dropping, not because they thought it was not worthy, but because the administration of the test to so many students was very labor intensive.

edited to add that every soldier in the army, at least on Fort Bragg, is required to participate in drownproofing. It's really no big deal.

Chuck

So you are saying that schools these days could get away with binding a person by the legs and arms(behind back) and tossing them in a pool. Not only that but you had to do this to graduate.

You know that wouldn't fly. I had to take a mandatory PE class in college to graduate. I think there were ways to get around it though. Too many pussies I tell you. I agree that testing everyone would be a hassle.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I did not say that they had to pass military drownproofing; I said they had to pass a swim test. Jump in a pool, swim a lap in a bathing suit, get out of the pool.

The swim test I had to pass to get into Special Forces was 500m in your fatigues and boots with a rubber gun. Part of the swim test you have to accomplish at the Special Forces Combat Diver course involves swimming with your feet bound and your hands tied behind your back. It's not difficult once you learn the technique.

Different levels of survival skills for different levels of exposure.

I'm sure that it works. I've been snorkeling in water over my head for nearly an hour with no life jacket or any floatation at all. Just floating face down in the water. I'm sure that its much easier with a mask, snorkel and flippers though!

How do ya like it Johnny?

If you want to become "drown proof", simply trot on down to your local USMC recruiter and he'll be glad to hook you up.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

its a drownproof method.... assuming you are in a pool.

once you add waves, it becomes a lot harder.

the problem with this method is that most non-swimmers will panic when they fall into the water. its the panic that causes most drownings, not lack of swimming skills.

MB 3528, RB 1182

its a drownproof method.... assuming you are in a pool.

once you add waves, it becomes a lot harder.

the problem with this method is that most non-swimmers will panic when they fall into the water. its the panic that causes most drownings, not lack of swimming skills.

You are absolutely correct on all counts.

Another method is to take off your pants and tie knots in the ankles. Then pull them over your head quickly to scoop air. Hold the waist down and cradle your head in the "V". (Much better cause it keeps your mouth out of the water)

I remember a couple yrs. ago there was a story on one of those news shows (20/20, Primtetime) about a young guy who fell off an aircraft carrier - no one realized he went missing for something like 72hrs. - and he survived by doing something like this. (I don't know if he put his head in the "V" though:ph34r:). He said some tribal fisherman found him and brought him to shore, I think off the coast of north Africa.

Then it turned into a mess w/his parents asking why didn't the navy know he was not accounted for, why didn't they search sooner,better...then the navy doubted his story, and to be honest I kinda doubted his story because I thought who uses their pants to float on???...now I know!!
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson