simplyputsi

Have you been drownproofed?

Interesting:P...when I was little I'd pretend I was "training" in my pool and swim laps with my legs crossed (as if bound together), then with my arms crossed, then both, and also practice swimming as far as I could there and back underwater w/out coming up. I had dive rings, too (but never retrieved them with my teeth).

I think Mr. Lanoue has been spying on me!>:(

I'm suing for the rights;)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I could have used that when I was a kid...

I did in fact drown to death in a pool when I was 6 years old.

When I was pulled from the water I was not breathing and my heart had stopped beating.

Thats pretty dead.

Fortunately for me (but maybe not the rest of the world) the lifeguard performed CPR and kept me from staying dead till the ambulance crew arrived and brought me the rest of the way back :)
__

My mighty steed

Yes, I can float forever with very little movement. It's very relaxing actually. I didn't get fame or fortune from all my years of swimming, but at least I can save myself if I'm ever stuck out in the middle of the ocean! That is, if the sharks don't get me first. :|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

No I believe it is real, what I didn't believe was that a college made it mandatory in order to graduate. Can you imagine the lawsuits today over such a thing. I have a friend in the navy and he never told me they had to do something like this. I'll be asking him next time I speak to him though.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Marine Corps boot camp teaches drownproofing, but they don't tie your arms and legs. You have to be able to swim a lap with a rifle, etc. They teach how to make a flotation device out of a shirt, by tying the sleeves shut and filling it with water. And you have to float for an hour to pass. That was the most pleasant hour of my entire 3-month boot camp experience. I would have liked to have gone for two hours!

The co worker told me about the shirt being used as a flotation device as well. That cracks me up that the marines wouldn't even bind your legs and hands but this guy for his class would. I'm sure I would have been down for the torture back in my college days though.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Why is this such a big deal? Survival drownproofing is just floating motionless. The Navy SEAL version just has you immobile and bouncing off the bottom of the pool. While I wouldn't recommend someone trying this without supervision, both methods only assert natural bouyancy and the realization that you can breath with minimal physical expenditure.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Yes, I can float forever with very little movement. It's very relaxing actually. I didn't get fame or fortune from all my years of swimming, but at least I can save myself if I'm ever stuck out in the middle of the ocean! That is, if the sharks don't get me first. :|

By chance did you ever see the movie "The Perfect Storm".A person could be an olympic level swimmer,far enough out in the ocean,and it wouldn't make a difference[:/]I realize thats not what you meant though:)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

the big deal is that it was a required course at GA tech back in the day and that you had to pass to graduate. It's a good idea, but they would never get away with such a thing these days. Too many pussies out there.

The Georgia course was just survival floating. I had to do it to pass a required college swim class. Seriously...it's just floating in tempered perfectly calm water.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

By chance did you ever see the movie "The Perfect Storm".A person could be an olympic level swimmer,far enough out in the ocean,and it wouldn't make a difference

Of course I didn't mean in a storm like that, I'm not an idiot. The boat didn't even stay together! :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I go my Water Safety Instructors certificate and used to teach lifeguards.

Part of the WSI class was something similar.

Button the sleeves of a longsleeve shirt and the collar.
Then, tilt your head over and blow air into the shirt.
If will float surprisingly well. Relax, float face down, and grab some air quickly.

Another method is to take off your pants and tie knots in the ankles. Then pull them over your head quickly to scoop air. Hold the waist down and cradle your head in the "V". (Much better cause it keeps your mouth out of the water)

The class required that we swim a mile and be able to swim 50m under water.

That said, I nearly drowned during a game of frisbee in the water when 2 people held me under too long.

the big deal is that it was a required course at GA tech back in the day and that you had to pass to graduate. It's a good idea, but they would never get away with such a thing these days. Too many pussies out there.

Several colleges still have a swimming requirement to graduate.

Greenie in training.

I remember being taught to float motionlessly as part of some class or camp long ago. This was probably something similiar... What I don't like is that I have negative byoancy when I breathe out, and positive byoancy when my lungs are full. So I can't just float and breathe normally, but exhale and then inhale quickly then hold the breath for a bit, if I don't want to sink below the surface.

I remember being taught to float motionlessly as part of some class or camp long ago. This was probably something similiar... What I don't like is that I have negative byoancy when I breathe out, and positive byoancy when my lungs are full. So I can't just float and breathe normally, but exhale and then inhale quickly then hold the breath for a bit, if I don't want to sink below the surface.

The trick is to slowly let your arms float to just under the surface. Then, when you want a breath, bring them down and bring your head out of the water for a quick bite of air.

It is easier in salt water than fresh water.