windcatcher

What childhood meal would you like to eat that you haven't in awhile?

Borscht w/ sour cream (& properly fermented cavasse) - Aunt Steph
Cheese pierogis - Mom
Kielbasa - collaborative effort of the womenfolk
Fried okra - Grandma
And for dessert...bread pudding w/ rum sauce - Aunt Steph

MMMMMMMMMMMM.........are you Polish or Russian? My husband is Polish and although I didn't grow up with the borscht or pierogis I love them and it's now my comfort food.

Being from the south I looveeeeeeee fried okra and bread pudding. YUMMY!!

Borscht w/ sour cream (& properly fermented cavasse) - Aunt Steph
Cheese pierogis - Mom
Kielbasa - collaborative effort of the womenfolk
Fried okra - Grandma
And for dessert...bread pudding w/ rum sauce - Aunt Steph

MMMMMMMMMMMM.........are you Polish or Russian? My husband is Polish and although I didn't grow up with the borscht or pierogis I love them and it's now my comfort food.

Being from the south I looveeeeeeee fried okra and bread pudding. YUMMY!!

Polish - isn't it obvious from my posts?! :$:D

My mom's pierogis are the best, and I especially like the cheese ones. Boil till they float then roll in bread crumbs and saute in butter, serve w/ sour cream. We've done whole meals of nothing but pierogis, with cheese as an appetizer, spiced beef and veggies as entree, and for dessert stuffed them with canned strawberries (or whatever fruit Grandma happened to can) and sugars and whipped cream replacing the bread crumbs & sour cream.

I have no clue how to make good borscht, but my aunt makes the kvas (misspelled earlier) a couple days ahead of time and oh my god is it good. Now I'm tempted to call her for the recipe so I can give it a shot myself. ;)

Kielbasa is a family tradition and only my Grandma truly knows the recipe. I'm cool with winging spices "to taste", but that's tough when seasoning raw meat :ph34r:, plus Grandma knows exactly how much *fat* looks just right! The other women in my family are developing a pretty good idea, but I've been through some of their attempts without elderly expertise and either dry or greasy are common. It's a right of passage for the boys in my family to (at *least* once) get stuck in a kitchen with 7 or 8 females, grinding meat and stuffing skins for them and keeping his mouth shut while the women (and the younger girls they're teaching) socialize and constantly turn to Grandma for advice. Trust me when I tell you that the finished product is absolutely nothing at all like storebought kielbasa. That hot dog stuff they sell at stores isn't even in the same universe. B|

Fried okra (with corn meal) is comfort food for me. Simple, tastes great, and reminds me of my grandma. Bread pudding, like borscht, I haven't a clue how to make. The sauce seems to be key, and again I think my aunt makes that at least a day in advance.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)