Andy9o8

Symantec Anti-Virus Hacking Threat

Just a quick heads-up:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Symantec Corp.'s leading antivirus software, which protects some of the world's largest corporations and U.S. government agencies, suffers from a flaw that lets hackers seize control of computers to steal sensitive data, delete files or implant malicious programs, researchers said Thursday.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/05/25/antivirus.flaw.ap/index.html

This is actually a pretty serious threat. The hack doesn't need any "enduser input" basically it means anyone with the code can take control of your system if you're using an unpatched version.

I haven't used or liked Symantec in years. Their products have gotten way to bulky, filled with fluff and extremely obtrusive. They take over your system while not giving you a way to turn them off short of editing the registry or uninstalling them.

An extremely effective and small AV is Nod32 I love it. Updates constantly. very clean, easy to use. Doesn't want to control every aspect of your computer.

http://www.nod32.com/ <--- link to the website. Has a 30day free trial.

/rude symantec and norton!!

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

no problems with my MAC...3 years running

I'll tell you.. all you MAC users better get ready. Seeing as Apple is starting to make inroads to personal & home computing. The skript-kiddies and their counterparts the organized - spammers (malware spyware etc.) will be targeting you too.

Sit in your ivory tower. It will crumble just as fast.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

no no I know this is a serious threat, just saying that it's just like that movie. Only diff here though is that symantec probably isn't using it to benefit themselves. Or are they?
I don't much care for them either.
I might just have to look into your AV you linked to.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Symantec is the talk of 3 meetings I've been to today. Its hurting companies more today then if they would have addressed it last week. With the long weekend and lots of people taking personal leave next week its involving a lot of companies to put in emergency changes totheir environmant when ever the patch is released. Thats going to add up since they are having to pay overtime on a holiday weekend. If the Patch is not out by Tuesday then they are looking at being labeled as slow and unresponsive and that will hurt their renewals.

Either case I've been there and its not pretty.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm sorry for you Phree.. our IT Dept went with Trend Micro instead of Symantec because of the slow response and very limited control their enterprise version gave them.

Again for my personal machine(s) at home I use Nod32.