SkydiveStMarys

When you were a child, what Movie Creature scared U??

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom... that scene where that voodoo priest rips the heart out of the guy and then they lower him into a pit of fire and you watch as the still beating heart bursts into flames... :| that was scary... :S

Oh and night of the living dead was a bit nerve racking too... :D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The first movie I saw that scared the crap out of me was "The Birds" by Alfred Hitchcock. The theatrical release was a little before my time - I watched the TV debut on my grandmother's couch when I was about 8. Those birds made me paranoid for a while, always looking up when I went outside. Then adolescent short term attention span syndrome kicked in and I was back to being a kid again.
Arrive Safely

John

Oh shit, yeah totally agree.

You know, when I was little, I was riding my bike and I rode under a big Elm tree that had a birds nest in it...well momma bird was pissed and flew after me and landed on my head and pecked the crap out of the top of my head for like a block or two...I was terrified!! The little persistent bastard!

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Saw JAWS at 6-7 years old. Significant loss of interest in swimming at the beach after that.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Do you go to the beach now....I actually watched it with my 11 yr old a few months back, with the hesitation that it would frighten him into not wanting to go any more, but after seeing how badly the special effects are, after todays movies, my son said, Oh Mom, that was so totally fake...go ahead, watch it again...you'll get a chuckle out of it.:D:D

Bobbi

Saw JAWS at 6-7 years old. Significant loss of interest in swimming at the beach after that.

Richards

:|

When I was about 5 or 6 years old...I heard about this movie called Jaws. It ws about sharks and shit and I really digged sharks so I really wanted to see it.

Anyway...my mom knew I shouldn't be watching a movie like that, but I kept whining and whining and in the end she gave in and rented the movie for me. (I live in Europe and back then people weren't overly concerned about the mental welfare of their children)

So I saw the movie on my aunts VCR ( back in the days when only some people had a VCR) and I was insta-scarred for life. I got such a bad phobia for water and swimming that I even panicked in swimming pools. The worst moment was when I entered the swimming contest in school. I was by far the best swimmer of all the schools competing so I swam like 15 feet in front of all the other competitors. But just when I was about to reach the finish, I thought I saw a great white beneath me ( 25m indoor swimming pool) and I panicked so bad that I clinged to the ropes and let all the other kids pass me (it took them 10 seconds).

20 years later I still look over my shoulders in seas, oceans, lakes and murky 2inch puddles.[:/]

I think that's everyone's story---especially kids like me who were born in the 80s and all the Jaws' movies were on TBS ALL the time.

I think that's why that's my closest thing to a tangible fear (see recent shark thread).:S

But, as mentioned---it's NEVER stopped me from swimming out to the bouy, surfing or anything. Admitedly, though, sometimes I'll think I saw something and get the f*ck out of the water:D When this happens I go "Whhhooooaaaaaah!" and run/swim/flap back to shore and Billy laughs his ass off everytime:D

It's REALLY easy to tell a shark fin from a dolphin fin though. And it's hilarious when townies & tourists don't know the difference and yell shark at the sight of a dolphin:D
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

totally fake...go ahead, watch it again...you'll get a chuckle out of it.:D:D

Rubbery shark, but still a great movie.

Speaking of bad effects, most of my childhood terrors came from Dr Who. The episodes set on earth were the really scary ones cos that made it all seem possible: the sea devils, the shop mannequins that came to life (can't remember what they were called), and sometimes the cybermen.

"Rubbery shark, but still a great movie."

I love the scene when the shark has the scuba diving air tank in its mouth and next thing you know with the help of a gun and good aim...chunks everywhere!!!.....though Myth Busters ruined that theory.

Bobbi

born in the '60s here.

The Wicked Witch WAS scary! for some reason I thought it was really scary when she has Dorothy trapped in that room & the witch turns the hourglass over & tells Dorothy that's how long she has to live.

They never explain how or why Dorothy will die when the sand runs out, but maybe that's what made it so much scarier.

useless trivia: the red sand used in the hourglass was Jell-O mix.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------