skycam888

Can't decide on Katana(135) or Crossfire(139)

Having flown both the XF2 139 and the Katana 135 (as well as the 149/150 and 169/170) I can personally say without a doubt that they both open well and fly well. Although I will say that the Katana just flat out performs the XF2 in slow flight as well as swooping. Personally I liked the front riser response (and pressure) of the Katana over the XF2 as well as how the toggles felt and flew. For rear riser input, the XF2 had a better response though. However, for me, after having bought and flown a XF2 149 for a couple of years I wish I could have bought a Katana (the bigger sizes weren't out at the time). Beyond that its really hard to beat PD's customer service.

Are you going to be coming state side any time soon? If so then maybe you could lineup a demo from both and get to compare them head to head.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was surprised, but I jumped a xfire 2 159 loaded at 1.5 while my usual was a ole viper 150. The xfires toggle response was not as good as my viper. It moved around a lot more in turbulence as well as mentioned before. Although I would consider jumping a xfire 2 full time though. My viper came through with flying colors.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Thanks Buddy, I have to agree with you totally that it is not just buying a pair of 501. The team have a mix of experience ranging from 900 to 1500 jumps, some of them under the canopy of Katana/120, BTpro/140 and Stiletto/107 for the last 300+/- jumps, their landing so far is great and are looking forward for next lever of flight but need some good advice from this forums.
The team have only two to chose from, ie: Katana/135 or XF/139, looking forward for some good advice.

Regards and Thanks All.

I agree with AggieDave's assessment of the canopies. I have Katanas in both of my rigs and I really like them for the reasons he stated. However, having jumped smaller and larger Katanas, my opinion is that there is a pretty narrow "sweet spot" where the canopy really performs its best. I think it's between 1.7 and 2.0. Anything outside that range and I don't think the flare is all it could be. Lighter than that and bottom end lift is not as good as other canopies. Heavier than that and it doesn't shut down like other canopies, hence you do some running. Not that it's bad, but it just isn't all it could be outside of that range, IMHO.

For reference I've jumped the 107, 120, and 135. I have 120s in my rigs and I'm somewhere in that range depending on what I'm wearing for any particular jump, i.e., camera helmet, weights, etc.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Biased opinion to follow:

You can't beat the xfire2 openings. I have found the Katana openings to be wild at times. I believe the Xfire2 to have a much better overall range. You will get back from longer spots. I personally think the Katana is too steep, I dont like the light front riser pressure (too light).

Fly them both.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Im flying a XF2 129 and a Katana 120 at the moment, and I must say that I prefer the XF for everyday use. If you are looking to swoop, the katana is definately built for that purpose, and as I learned this weekend, itll eat your ass quick if you dont fly it with some additional respect. For your purpose, id go with the XF, especially for the camera fliers sake on openings. Ive slam packed my XF many times and always had just beautiful openings, while the katana seems, if not more pack sensitive, very much more body position sensitive. If you all like to swoop, katana is probably better. Then again, I have 10x more jumps on the XF2 than the KA, and the KA spun the hell out of me on one jump, so I could be biased.