jumpjunkie2004

Have you ever written a bad check?

Out of desperation for jump money, I'm doing some accounting contract work.

In one year, this guy has had over 1,000 in returned check charges. What makes it really STUPID...he has a second account with an ample balance. He just didn't transfer the funds over in time to cover the checks.

OMG...some people are just retarded.

I personally can say - I have never bounced a check. : )
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

Nope... but I had an employer do it once... they were changing accounts and didn't have enough money in the old one.

It was frustrating but they took care of it as soon as I pointed it out (they knew it might happen...) and they also covered any extraeous expenses it might have generated...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Out of desperation for jump money, I'm doing some accounting contract work.

In one year, this guy has had over 1,000 in returned check charges. What makes it really STUPID...he has a second account with an ample balance. He just didn't transfer the funds over in time to cover the checks.

OMG...some people are just retarded.

I personally can say - I have never bounced a check. : )

The lawyers say that I'm not allowed to discuss it.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I said no, but then I remembered about the time I opened a new bank account and the lady who opened it didn't tell me that the whole balance wouldn't be available for about a week. Oops. They ended up releasing some of the money for me to cover the checks and refunding me fees. But techinically they did bounce initially.

When I divorced, I changed the name on my account and ordered new checks. The printer put my old account number on the new checks. I wrote out about 7 checks (all bounced) before we caught the mistake.

I have never been more embarrased. Thank god the bank accepted the mistake and paid all the penalty fees.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I wrote out about 7 checks (all bounced) before we caught the mistake.

Key word...mistake : ) Those happen, but this guy bounced 36 checks in one year 16@30 each and then the fee went up to 33 for the last 20! His bank must LOVE him! He's easy money! $1,140...unreal...

Yep, the bank failed to clear a deposit (they had seven days) and I bounced four checks.>:( Then they had the balls to tell me I would still be responsible for the charges. Had to get a lawyer to siort that one out.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

No, checks are not used in my country. They have been dissapearing since 15-20 years.

I don't think I know someone with a checkbook here, besides a couple of employers who still use this prehistorical way of payment.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I don't think I know someone with a checkbook here, besides a couple of employers who still use this prehistorical way of payment.

I completely agree. I seldom write checks. I use them to pay only for school related items - field trips, lunch accounts, etc. for my kids.

Hey, we elected Bush for a second term....so the fact that we are a little behind the times should come as no shock to you : )

I pay for almost everything with a check and never have wrote a bad one.;)

I do receive a few bad ones every year and it makes me so mad when I have to take my time to chase them down for the money and get the bank fee back from them. Only once though did I ever send the sheriff out after one of them and that was kind of fun.

Sure have. In fact I did that quite a bit in college. Took me a while to figure out that you can't spend the same money twice :(.

Nowadays, the only check I write is for my rent. When possible, I pay with a credit card. Usu I pay-off the CC, but CC-interest is a lot cheaper than NSF-fees.

My credit union once deposited my paycheck in somebody else's account. 4 checks bounced, two they covered with overdraft protection, the following 2 they truly bounced.
I caught it online, and called the bank as to where my money went.
Of course they fixed it, they sent a person to the businesses to personally make good on the check the businesses were about to recieve back. The Credit Union manager also gave me a personal and formal apology. I still bank.... or would that be credit union with them today...

I'm willing to bet the individual who hired you is a small businessman....

As a small businessman I can say that cash flow and cash management aren't necessarily inherent qualities to an entreprenuer. Banks tend to make a king's randsom in bounced check fees off people who spend most of their mental cycles on running and growing a company, and then deny them overdraft protection and lines of credit for their bounced check record.

It's one thing to have a regular and fixed income and to setup a budget and live by it, and another thing to have a variable income and unreliable cash flow, and try to keep the books balanced and the most important creditors paid on time.

The fact that he had the cash to cover the checks but didn't transfer it over in time, is a mistake I'm familiar with. He's actually a good businessman in a lot of ways (i.e. produces more than he consumes, and earns enough money to cover his expenses) although he's a bad businessman inasmuch as his focus on 'banking' isn't enough or very good. I have a lot of sympathy for that, I hate banks, banking, and dealing with moving money in general.

It gets even more fun when you start adding in all the accounts you have. The average joe schmoe probably has a couple of credit cards, a savings account, a checking account, and maybe a car loan and a mortgage. They have utility bills and living expenses...

Now add in: payroll, office leases, inventory expenses, business checking accounts, savings accounts, overdraft protection lines of credit, credit cards, business utilities (which btw are always higher than residential), business license fees, legal fees, proper incorporation paperwork, creating and sending invoices, maintaing the books, advertizing, (costs and efforts), sales (costs and efforts), contract writing and reviews, hiring some contractor to do book keeping, oh yeah, and then creating a product or service to sell ;-) Versus the individual who goes to a 'job' does their 40hrs, and goes home to live the rest of their life...

I'm not certain that this is the case, although I have a hunch that it is... if so it's akin to someone juggling two balls saying "can you believe that guy has dropped over a thousand balls while juggling this last year".

The answer is: "Yes. He's juggling two hundred and you're almost able to keep two in the air." (even people who never bounce checks still make financial mistakes.) :-)

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

Yes...pretty much the same thing happened to me. I had the money, just didnt get it depositied in time. I used my debit card on thursday evening to buy about 140 worth of groceries and knew i only had 130 in my account. With my old bank my debit card purchases went through through the next day since it was after working hours. I went to the ATM and deposited about 175 into my account. I then went out partying thinking I had about 165 in my fun money account. I probably used my card 6 times at different bars. I used the card all weekend using that card and by monday had probably used it 15 times. Then on wed the first overdraft came. Turns out there were 15 of them. The bank put all the debits from Thursday night through first before putting my 175 deposit. So it turned out Friday morning I had absolutely no money (probably minus in fact). On wed when I checked my account it was -675 from all the overdrafts. I went to the bank to get an explaination and they told me how their system was different. I had never had an overdraft to that point. The refused to clear up the misunderstanding. I was so f**king pissed I took my check book from my other account, paid the whole thing off, and told them to stick their account. Just thinking about that whole situation pisses me off to this day.

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....

Never knowingly. I once made a mistake. For of all things.........an insurance premium. I had run out of checks in the book I usually use. There was another check book in my console. I sent it off and never had another thought about it. I did start to wonder why I hadn't heard from the insurance company. Turns out the check I used was from an acount that I had CLOSED about 6 months before. Same bank......same address and name on the checks......differen't account number. :o I was fairly pissed that they sent it straight to a collection agency without even asking me about it! >:(

Yes, when I was first on "my own".

I used to "kite/float" checks alot too...kids gotta eat....I became very good at it, but needless to say it was extrememly stressful, especailly when the money I was expecting didn't show up when it was supposed to.

I don't do it any more...I manage my money much better and hell, I'm rolling in it.....NOT.:D Really, though I do manage my money better and going through "tight times" made me a very good shopper.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I used to "kite/float" checks alot too...kids gotta eat....I became very good at it, but needless to say it was extrememly stressful, especailly when the money I was expecting didn't show up when it was supposed to.

Been there, done that. Thank God those days are behind me. And my ex is completely out of my life. yay!:)