Klampfi

Attaching pilote chute's bungee cord??

Hi all,

I own an old atom gear from 1993 and this system comes with a bungee pilote chute system. On my last jump I saw that my pilote chute didn't collapse because the bungee cord was detached from the bridle. And here comes my question: There is a small strap on the bridle where the bungee cord should be attached, but how can i do that? Which kind of knot is used for fastening the bungee cord?

Thanks,
Martin

PM me for a knot. I'm not going to tell you here because the length of a bungee cord on a bungee cord PC is critical. Too short and the PC won't inflate all the way. Either at all or at lower speeds. Also the quality and condition of the bungee is critical. It must be able to inflate at the speeds you wish it to. Whether or not it deflates isn't much of an issue as you've found out. Works like a normal PC then.

Very few people use a bungee PC anymore. Yes it eliminates the failure to cock malfunction. But in an emergency aircraft exit you may not have enough speed to inflate it. On more complication on the decision of which parachute to use.

I have one customer who has used a bungee for years and years. But he doesn't do hop and pops with it and takes very good care of his rig.

Better bet is to remove the bungee altogether and use it as a non collapsible PC until you can get knowledgable help. We jumped them for decades.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE