riggergreg

Hey Riggers, I need a source for stiffener material

Riggergreg,

Not all stiffener material is the same. I’m just guessing but, I think your requesting a source for Nylon MDS. If so what type and thickness? T6, T6/6, gray, clear, .020”, .040”, .062”? Or perhaps you’re thinking of the many types of ballistic cloth? Or maybe a Polycarbonate? We have and do used them all.

I suggest you slow down a bit and learn a little more before you (buy quite a bit for a project I'm getting ready to start).

Jeff

I like that he tells you to learn more with out any idea how much you already know. I know you have no idea about Greg because i do know him fairly well.

Trying to pull information off this site is worse than pulling teeth.

I like that he tells you to learn more with out any idea how much you already know. I know you have no idea about Greg because i do know him fairly well.

All I’m asking is are we talking Nylon MDS in T6, or T6/6, gray or clear, .020”, .040”, .062”, or ballistic cloth, Polycarbonate, or Polyurethane? I really haven’t the time to write all the many ways they can all be used for top flaps, riser covers, tuck tabs, etc. I am more than happy to provide more accurate help if I had more info. All of these materials have specific qualities and is why we use so many different types. There really isn’t just that one type of stiffener material. I don’t guess and say here’s some stiffener material. And if this is going into TSOed equipment, I suggest you know exactly what you’re using.

It’s kind of like someone requesting a source for that webbing we use on harnesses. Ok would that be T7, T8, T12, T13, T17 or T4-3” and would that be condition U or R?

There was a very good suggestion made on the PIA Riggers Forum for Greg. And guess what, I am a manufacturer that is offering to help, just as I have been doing for over the past 30 years.

Jeff

Sounded to me like he was just trying to narrow things down and be helpful .... in the careful, responsible way of an engineer.

We spent some time with an owner of a major gear manufacturer and rigging school during nationals at Eloy, 5 or 6 years ago. We loved the Nylatron he was using in his rigs, and asked if we could have his source ...

He said "NO." He wanted QUID PRO QUO: You want to know my stiffener supplier? Give me something I can use in return.

Totally reasonable to me. Profit margins are slight, and competition is fierce. Lots of what the MFs know is due to years of blood, sweat and tears and testing into infinity. I'm continually amazed that they are as free with information as they are!

I think the OP would do much better with a Google search. Nylatron is not too hard to find, and I'm sure he could find whatever other materials he might need as well.

Best,
Dawn