Deyan

What should I do???

Here is my story.Two months ago I bought a rig from one factory(I will intentionally keep silent about the name of the factory for instant )The rig is just perfect for my canopies,but unfortunately is too small for me.
I have been told (from producer) that I have to send them the rig to be repaired.They will take care about the repair charges, but I should pay for deliveries in both ways.(I live in Europe, so we are talking about quite a lot of money).Even after repairing the rig is still too small and uncomfortable for meB|I saw the biggest problem yesterday, when assembling the entire system.4 inches scratch on the sidewall:(I think that's probably happened during the shipping, rather than during the repairing in the factory.The packages are often opened in the our post offices, but I can't prove anything.I don't know who is responsible for my problem, all that I know is that my perfectly new rig, is no more new, and it still doesn't fit to me.
What should I do?
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Who did the measurements for the rig? If it was the factory then the manufacturer should pay for the total bill; however, if they built it according to the specs provided then IMO it is not the factory's fault that the rig doesn't fit and paying for the shipping would seem reasonable. Get the rig they way you want it BUT first try and determine why the measurements to fix it weren't correct for the first time it was redone. In other words don't repeat the same mistake. I think you are doing this but make sure to try it on with a reserve packed in it and your main packed in it because it will fit differently. ie the rig will sit lower on your back and the hip rings will change position due to the added weight. The new measurements to fix the rig should be taken with both canopies in the rig as well.

As far as the scratch goes, it looks like a very minor cosmetic scratch to the inside of the rig. However, the thread tension on the double needle work appears to show poor tension. Perhaps they can also do a better job on the stiching if they are going to redo your rig to fix the scratch. That said it is hard to make a judgement based on a photo.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

... However, the thread tension on the double needle work appears to show poor tension. Perhaps they can also do a better job on the stiching if they are going to redo your rig to fix the scratch. That said it is hard to make a judgement based on a photo.

It looks OK to me. Isn't the top row just a double row of stitches, rather than one messed-up row?

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

It looks OK to me. Isn't the top row just a double row of stitches, rather than one messed-up row?

Like I said it is hard to make a judgement from a photo but the top row doesn't look like a double row of stitches to me. The length of the stitch pattern does not appear uniform and it looks like the upper thread tension should be loosened a little bit so that the bobbin tension can draw the stitch into the material a little better.

That said I will reiterate that it is hard to see and make judgements from a photo and even if the stitch pattern isn't exactly right I'm not sure I would rework it if I was the manufacturer's quality control person. BUT if it has to be redone because it doesn't fit this issue could also be addressed if indeed the stitches weren't locked as good as they could be.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

First, is the rig really too small? If your used to student or rental gear that is too big for you you may think it is too small when it isn't. Also, a new rig will be somewhat stiffer. If you also choose the smallest container size that your canopies could fit in it may be very hard (tight) when packed. The rig will have less give. A rigger or a dealer should confirm it really is too small. Also, different rigs vary in their fit and comfort. I have rigs from different manufacturers. Both are the 'right' size. One is comfortable and one isn't. Also the 'right' size for some may be either too small or too large for others.

Check with the manufacturer with the measurements supplied in hand. They should be able to have you check some measurements and confirm if it is built to the measurements supplied.

If you measured yourself for it, or had a friend do it, AND it was built correctly to fit those measurements, then you are to blame for the size problem. It doesn't sound unreasonable to have to pay the postage. BUT, if a dealer did the measurements and submitted the order, AND it was correctly built to those measurements then the dealer should foot any costs. If the correct measurements were supplied to the manufacturer and the rig was built incorrectly then the manufacturer should pick up all costs. But, a dealer or manufacturer may choose not to do this. You'll have to work out the best deal you can.

I've only bought two custom sized rigs in my career. Neither one was built as specified. One I lived with (not size related) and one had to be replaced. I've had other new rigs but bought them off the shelf.

As to the cut. It looks very much like the rig was cut when the box was opened. Either by the manufacturer (I hope they would have noticed and repaired it), by the postal or shipping services, or by you. Almost every parachute I've received either from a manufacturer or an individual in a box could have been damaged if the box was opened casually with a pocket knife. The rig should have been insured. If so file a claim. If it wasn't insured for return shipment and that decision was the manufacturer's and not yours, and your sure you didn't cut it opening the box and it wasn't cut when you sent it back, the manufacturer should take responsibility for not insuring it and packing it well and pay for repair. But I wouldn't count on it. Again, if your going through a dealer take it up with them. If dealing directly with the factory see what you can work out.

Others may disagree with this thoughts.

I would take the cut seriously. In the last photo it looks likes it's fairly deep into the weave. I assume it's on the outside since embrodery is visible in on photo. If you think the fabric might separate and it's not pratical to have it replaced you might have a reinforcing patch put on the inside. The stitching would be visible but it's better than it coming apart.

I don't think there is a stitch problem either. As noted it looks like the outside row has been stitched over with a single needle to attach the back pad.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I don't think there is a stitch problem either. As noted it looks like the outside row has been stitched over with a single needle to attach the back pad.

Well since two master riggers don't see a problem I will gladly defer to their judgement regarding the stitching.:)

they are responsible until it gets to you. Unless of course you did the measurments woring then no you should not have to pay shipping. I am quite sure that they insured the rig all that way to europe I know i would going anywhere. Not your fault they should take care of you, no problem.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!