tinlizzy73

goggles for contact lens wearers

I am new to skydiving and am beginning to buy my own gear. What type of goggles are best for jumpers who wear contacts? Can anyone recommend a style or brand name? (I've been wearing Flexvision goggles that students share at the DZ, but I'd like something different as I'm not crazy about the way they look or feel.) Thanks!
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO

I wear contacts. I picked up some soares from paragear. I love them. Some of the more experienced at the DZ have told me that they start leaving black marks on your face when they wear out but for $18 I'll just get another set at that point. My instructor insisted on me having clear lenses so check before you buy.

-Michael

What type of goggles are best for jumpers who wear contacts?

Anything that doesn't allow high-speed air to blow across your eyes. If they have big air vents, they can peel the lens off the surface of your eye. Then they'll stick to the inside and dry out - you just have to wet them down on the ground and give them a few minutes to resume their shape. If you can't find goggles without vents, put scotch tape over the vents.

I am new to skydiving and am beginning to buy my own gear. What type of goggles are best for jumpers who wear contacts? Can anyone recommend a style or brand name? (I've been wearing Flexvision goggles that students share at the DZ, but I'd like something different as I'm not crazy about the way they look or feel.) Thanks!

I wear contacts when I jump, I use Sorz goggles and love them. No air vents to worry about and they fit snug to my face. Try a pair, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

I use Grateful Fred's EZ Goggles. They're similar the the flex-z goggles people are talking about. You can usually find ones that don't have holes, but if not just use clear tape and cover them up. They're only about $8 a pair - you can't beat that! They're made out of Madison, Wisconsin.

Blues,
Zabrina

I wear contacts. I don't have many jumps but i have jumped with flexvision, flex-z, lane peerser, and cruisers.

I've found that the Peersers are the most comfy, but flex zs have better peripheral vision and seem less prone to scratching.

I've personally not had any trouble with any of them as far as dry contacts go, although i did climb onto the step of the Cresco with no goggles the other week. Even then, i didn't even notice!

Sorz seals tend to peel off and the exposed rim can be easier to peel off

I take Flex Z Goggles put them in warm water to help peel off the rounded edge trim and clean off the glue this basically turns them into what Cookie Composites call "RAZOR FLEX" Goggles.
use some rough paper or card to smooth the edges
and abrakadabra you have googles that are comfy and practically speed peel proof B|
perfect for blind people like me who NEED their contacts to see anything
Have also worn flexvision for the same reason but they make me look like a big cheeked gopher :$

as for colours if your instructor say clear then stick to that, when you are allowed to change i'd say
nothing sucks worse than a sunset load and a pair of dark goggles and some cloud cover :S
i have done some research on colours before so another bit of other advice is that yellow red and orange lenses have some contrast and definition enhancing effects,
black, smoke, blue and purple have no beneficial effects whatsoever other than to reduce the amount of visible light.
and if you are going to be doing a night jump wear your red googles for a half our or so before and during the ride to altitude then change to clear before the jump to maximise your night vision

Blues
Mike

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"