hallux

premature deployments

from the SIM section 6-2

C. Equipment

1. Gear must be properly secured to prevent premature deployment of either canopy.

a. A premature opening at the speeds involved in this type of skydiving could result in severe injury to the body or stressing the equipment beyond limits set by the manufacturers.

b. Deployment systems and operation handles should remain secure during inverted and stand-up flight; therefore, equipment for freeflying should include:

(1) bottom-of-container mounted throw-out pilot chute pouch, pull-out pilot chute, or ripcord main deployment system

(i) Exposed leg-strap-mounted pilot chutes present an extreme hazard.

(ii) Any exposed pilot chute bridle presents a hazard.

(2) closing loops, pin protection flaps, and riser covers well maintained and properly sized

2. Harness straps

a. Leg straps should be connected with a seat strap to keep the leg straps from moving toward the knees while in a sitting freefall position or making transitions.

b. Excess leg and chest straps should be tightly stowed.

3. Automatic activation devices are recommended because of the high potential for collisions and loss of altitude awareness associated with freeflying.

4. In the case of skysurfing boards, a board release system that can be activated with either hand without bending at the waist is recommended.

5. Personal accessories for freeflying should include:

a. audible altimeter (two are recommended)

b. visual altimeter

c. hard helmet

d. clothing or jumpsuit that will remain in place during inverted and stand-up freefall and will not obscure or obstruct deployment or emergency handles or altimeters

on modern gear I would definately say on climbout. Probably due to lack of pin/gear check on plane. Or a snag on climbout.
If the gear is in proper form there is not much of a chance of a pemature in freefall outside of physical contact.
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

I have seen actually both. In the airplane (inside and at the climb out) and in freefall. But physically, it is more likely to happen at the climb out since there is the type of contacts which could lead to premature deployment.
6 Cases I have seen or heard of:
1) On a Cessna when your your reserve pin cover flap gets in contact with the door when being on the step.
2) On a Twin Otter that can happen with group exit with hackey (BOC) too much out or somebody grabbing the reserve handle by mistake
3) In free fall by somebody else grabbing the hackey (BOC) by mistake in a Side body point.
4) Doing style when doing a back flip and the right hand "brushes" the hackey (BOC)
5) in the Twin Otter when the main closing loop is to slack and the jumper is moving.
6) jumper exiting too high on a King Air and hitting the tail
Note: As we can see it depends on the type of airplane and the type of jump as well.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Twice I have had somone open right under me while filming 4way, and 8way. Both times were right before break off. Only on one can you see the piece partner look at the other guys boc a bunch during the dive and next thing you know his pc is coming out and he missed me by about 10 feet. He was right under me, but due to the dive he did a 180 and moved a little to the left of me. When asked on the ground why the piece partner didnt stop the dive when he clearly could see a problem, he said he was judging it as the dive went on and didnt think it would come out. In the video, you can see more and more of the pc coming out. the rig was brand new and the spandex was tight. The team did a good gear check before the dive and his slot was in the middle of the door during climb out, so it was doubtfull he hit the aircraft on exit.
Both of the deployments were pc coming out. I also somewhere have a bloopers video where on exit a team member took a grip of the members pc, it got pulled, and he grabs his teammate and hands him his pc. The guy had no clue what was being handed to him and threw it away, and the had a very surprised look on his face when he was deployed at 9500ft. This was during a competition and a rejump was given. Note to self, try and not get as steep and tight on the team as possible. Nah fuck that shooting good 4way video is an art, get as tight as you can, and as steep as you can, but keep an eye out for loose pilot chutes, and insist on a good gear check.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Keep in mind we are using modern freefly friendly gear. Meaning that it meets the standards recognized by the USPA

Modern?

From what you've quoted those 'standards' could easily encompass my old Vector2 with Velcro riser covers...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I voted the second option, but that was because I was thinking about my own gear. I have an Atom 00 container that is modified to be freefly friendly. I have these little flaps that go under the pin flap to get the pin unexposed to the wind. But on every single jump I worry that when I sitfly for example, the small modified flaps to keep the pin flap in place might fail. I don't know why this is. I've been told by numerous instuctors at my dropzone that freeflying with my rig is no problem at all. Still I touch those small flaps and tuck them under the main pin flap firmly on every load many many times. that being said. I still think that when using my own rig, the risk of premature deployment might be higher in freefall then on climb out because I don't jump in large groups yet. However If I was using newer gear, I would have probably voted for the first option.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

I voted during freefall. Happened to me while a student, at the bottom of a swoop to my instructor. I was just about to take a grip on him when it happened. Normal main deployment other than the fact that i didn't initiate it. Got my attention, that's for sure (and made for a long canopy ride).

I figure though, that the forces acting on/around your rig are higher at terminal speeds than on climbout. Of course, snags on climbout are a different story.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

That happened to me in the Nationals in late seventies at Winchester Ontario. I too was performing a back loop and I got an instant opening. The judges saw it with their telemeters but I wasn't granted a rejump.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

My premature happened in the door of a Porter, I appeared to knock the pin as I turned to get out of the door, and all my coach could see was the bridle come out from behind me.... Started shaking me like a looney to try and get me off, but I didn't have a clue what was going on, so sat back down in the plane.

Then I saw the lines flying out the door and decided that it would maybe be a good time to follow them. The video is fantastic as you get the looks on all the TI's faces, and see my canopy deploy my pilot chute beautifully and then me drifting off backwards into the distance.

I only landed 4k away!! The uppers were a bit swift...