skydvrz

Selling rig - some questions

Due to non-skydiving related injuries, I've decided to sell all my gear. I haven't been able to jump in a year and don't see things changing any time soon.

I have a few questions about how to not get ripped off, and what the customary practice is for shipping, what happens if the guy decides he doesn't want it after looking at it, Etc.

I have some offers from folks out of state, and one up in Canada. I am in Washington State. I have home dropzone information on the Canada guy and will be calling there to make sure he's legit.

Do I ask the buyer to pay for shipping both ways if he ends up refusing the rig? Pay half?

Should I ship to a Canadian rigger of his choice after checking with the local dropzone that the rigger is legit?

What do you think of PayPal? Would that help with some potential fraud issues?

Any help or pointers for selling gear out of state would be greatly appreciated!

----------------------
I'll think of a really cool and witty signature later.

IMO...

No, pay half if person declines rig. You send and pay, they send back and pay. Use rigger at sale DZ as intermediary.

Yes, Most Definately

Paypal.. A must use

Ask person who wants gear for DZ and riggers info and contact them to make arrangements before shipping gear. Most DZO's and/or riggers are cool about mediating transactions. They can inspect the gear for buyer and don't give up the goods until you tell them you have been paid. Good luck and sorry your getting the use of the gear yourself.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Thanks for the advice Sarldo, I'll make sure the guy in Canada is OK with paying for shipping it back to me if he decides he doesn't want it.

Good luck and sorry your getting the use of the gear yourself.

The moral to the story is: Jump your brains out when you are young. Getting old sucks, especially when you can't jump any more.

I really miss the sport already, but don't want to end up in a wheel chair,

Kevin

----------------------
I'll think of a really cool and witty signature later.

https://escrow.com/index.asp is a great way to make sure you get paid and would put the buyer at ease as well. Just bought a rig on here and it made me unease. A few of the people I contacted did turn out to be scamming, once i mention escrow.com they suddenly "sold" the rig and delete the entry from DZ.com.

It costs about the same as western union if not a little more but it works great!
Lost a ton of money chasing girls but no girls chasing money. http://whuffofree.com!!!WHUFFO FREE!!!!