crotalus01

Neptune question

I have a Neptune altimeter which I love, but lately it has been giving me (obviously) false freefall times. I did a jump Monday where we exited at 14,500 and I saddled out at 1900 and it shows 97 seconds of freefall. Our pilot does a parabolic at the top of jumprun to help everybody stand up, could the Neptune be reading that as the start of freefall?
Noone else at my DZ that uses a Neptune seems to be having this issue...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Easiest way to figure out whats going on is to use Paralog to look at a graph of the jump. You can see just where it starts and stops timing. I haven't used it in a long time (many neptune updates ago), but I always found it continued to record freefall for a few seconds after the canopy had clearly finished opening (by looking at the speed graph).

BTW, firmware version 3.0 (the Neptune 2) is coming out real soon. Been using a beta version for a few weeks. Got some nice new features and an improved interface.

Dave

i had the same thing happen to mine and i only hade maybe 20 jumps on it, i normally jump at a DZ that brings me to 14000 and i got pretty reasonable FF times, 60 to 65 sec and im only 125lbs but the speeds were off, then i went to a DZ alot closer to the house that just has a C182, which we get to 10000 on a good day, and it read 88 seconds, now i know im a lightweight at 125lbs but i know my little ass dont fall that slow... I lovED my neptune, past tense, after repeated FF and speed misreadings i sold it and went with L&B and havent had a problem since

I did a hop and pop from 14,500 ft 2 weeks ago... Pulled right out of the door, and my average speed was 98MPH for the whole skydive.

So figure an Exit at 14,500 and a 900 ft snivel puts me under canopy at 13,900. I still dont believe that i could have had an average speed of 98MPH

Here's the readings from the log book screen.

Exit: 14500
Dep: 13900
FF: 6

AVG 98MPH
12K- 24MPH
9K- 20 MPH
6k- 13MPH
3k 11MPH

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

No idea how it calculates average speed, but it's not just an average of the 12, 9, 6, and 3K speeds. It will only include the freefall portion of your jump in the average speed calculation, as far as I know. Maybe does something wacky as you get stood up, as the airflow changes.

Dave

I have wondered the same thing, I often get 0 freefall time from hop-n-pops but it still knows when I opened. The readout on the Neptune never matches the Graph from Paralog(graph is usually lower). What was really weird though was a demo we did where we flew level fromt the DZ to the demo site and descended to do a low fly by. During the descent both Neptunes in the plane went to freefall mode, then canopy mode and logged a jump. when we got on jump run we noticed our neptune altitudes were off by 1,000 feet(read 4,000 at 5,000 feet actual). Both were off the same and neither has done it before or since even on similar flight patterns.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Dan,

That is exactly what sets it off. If your FF was 97 sec., you weren't one of the first groups out. When Mike hits the flaps it goes into freefall mode at that point. Your freefall includes the groups before you exiting, your climbout, and your freefall. To this point there is no way to correct it, just gotta live with it. The 195 won't do it.

P.S. - next time ask your Neptune Rep.....(me)!;)

Maybe, maybe not...I DID suck it into the basement on that jump because I had someone in my airspace at deployment time and had to track a bit more than I am comfortable with. I saddled out at 1900 :o
Would have sucked for me to have a mal on that jump :P
seriously though, why isn't anyone else having this issue who uses Neptune? Lee has no problems with his. Maybe I just need to upgrade the software in mine?

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...