freeflyer2k

Slider Stowage

Im bored sitting here at my desk so here's a crazy idea that needs a rigger to shoot it down quick... :)

I have been using a couple of daisy chained bungees some shock cord and a plastic ball at the top of my reserve flap to stow my slider... im sure most of you have seen this idea. now im aware of the risks snag point for lines, entanglement and the possibility of still being attached to your main if for some reason you needed to chop after stowing the slider etc.... I do like the way this system gets the slider completely out of the way but the inherent added risk has always bothered me... i know the french have completely banned these systems

my idea:
take the same idea but where the shock cord wraps around the reserve flap cut it in the middle attach closing loops to the ends, put one loop through the other and then on systems with skyhook setups put the cutaway cable through that loop next to where it goes also goes through the collins lanyard.....
So now when you chop your main you also release the system holding your slider...... ???

I dont have my rig here to look at this idea fully
so there may be some blindingly obvious flaw i am missing with this. Apologies in advance..

The same concept but putting a grommet on the middle of the yoke or top of the reserve flap to allow a loop to pass into the same point with the colins lanyard would be an extension of this idea

I havent got my rig here so i have no way of working out how this system would interfere with the reserve/ skyhook system in the event of say a cypress fire or straight reserve deployment or any other situation for that matter

Any thoughts??? alternate methods i also tried tabs on the risers but these still leave the slider there to get caught on camera gear etc

Blues
Mike
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

my idea:
take the same idea but where the shock cord wraps around the reserve flap cut it in the middle attach closing loops to the ends, put one loop through the other and then on systems with skyhook setups put the cutaway cable through that loop next to where it goes also goes through the collins lanyard.....
So now when you chop your main you also release the system holding your slider...... ???

What makes it more simple?

I use just a slider lock. If I lock it right it does come up anymore and its not in the way anymore.

Yeah they could work too but you would want nice strong magnets for taking all the shear and pull forces i'd expect this system to take.

i kept with my idea because it was totally secure up until cutaway at which point i think it would release completely...

Not simpler just supposedly "safer"

I tried slocks they didnt get the slider out of the way just prevented it from going up the risers.
not waht i wanted especially when wearing camera

The bungies and shock cord pull the slider down below your neck line completely out of the way.

> putting a grommet on the middle of the yoke

That is what PDF do... a third teflon cable runs from the cut-away handle to release the connection to the slider connector bungee. From what i could see on the rig, the cable didn't have housing so didn't increase the bulk on the container....

Cool
anyone got pics???
Dont know if i like the no housing idea on the third cutaway cable though....

No pics i'm affraid, but it is such a simple idea the pics probably don't add anything to the description.

That was my initial thought about the unshielded cable too, but not knowing exactly how the cable is routed it is difficult to argue either way. Perhaps it is partially shieled, i don't know - i'm sure someone who knows can chime in here...

edit: the container I saw this on was an Atom Legend R.