andyhughes

Double needle machines

Just a couple of quick questions re double needle lockstitch machines...

The machines i've come accross (e.g. Singer 112 and 212) have the the needle seperation set at the factory. Realistically, how easy is it change the stitch spacing? Would it just require changing the needle-bar, or is there more to the conversion (i.e. changing bobbin case positioning etc...)?

It even seems that the split bar models (Consew and Pfaff) are not capable of handling variable spacing: are there any machines that can do this, or is it the norm for lofts to have seperate double needle machines for canopy work and binding?

Thanks,

Andy

I have a Singer 112. I changed the gauge to 3/8ths from some other size. Basicly, you have to loosen the hook assemblies, slide them to the gauge wanted and reset the timing. And of course you have to change the needle bar, the presser foot (in some cases and the plate). In my case it was not fun or easy. If you are needing mulitple gauges I think the suggestions you will get will be you need multiple machines.

I hope I am wrong so I will wait and see too.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the reply. I can imagine how much of a pain in the arse that was. It is good to hear that it is do-able though. I guess that the complexity of such a mod prevents variable width double machines from being beingmade.

> ...I changed the gauge to 3/8ths ...

Is that for binding with 3/4 type III?

What kind of spacing are people using for fully felled seams? I guess it depends on the application, but I'm using 5/16ths (basically the same spacing you'd find on jeans).

Thanks for the reply. I can imagine how much of a pain in the arse that was. It is good to hear that it is do-able though. I guess that the complexity of such a mod prevents variable width double machines from being beingmade.

> ...I changed the gauge to 3/8ths ...

Is that for binding with 3/4 type III?

What kind of spacing are people using for fully felled seams? I guess it depends on the application, but I'm using 5/16ths (basically the same spacing you'd find on jeans).

Mine is set up for the binding tape found on most rigs. I have a folder in front of the needles
Abraham Lincoln

Hi andy,

I think you will find that 'most' machines used to sew folded 3/4" T-3 are set a 3/16"; at least mine are.

JerryBaumchen

PS) If you (or anyone) is/are looking to have a machine for a variety of widths then I would recommend a machine for each width req'd; too much hassle otherwise, IMO. [:/]

Hi andy,

I think you will find that 'most' machines used to sew folded 3/4" T-3 are set a 3/16"; at least mine are.

JerryBaumchen

PS) If you (or anyone) is/are looking to have a machine for a variety of widths then I would recommend a machine for each width req'd; too much hassle otherwise, IMO. [:/]

I always refer to the wrong gauge on mine and I did not even realize it till you posted:$. Mine is at 3/16ths too
Abraham Lincoln