RkyMtnHigh

What do you love about the State you live in?

Uh can we land the Porter there????;);)

Sure, a few people have landed on the very primitve Johns Island runway before...the ends of the runway are quite a bit lower than the middle.

Some of the planes were even able to take off again under there own power. Some were taken apart so they could be moved off the island so they could be rebuilt. I was told by one crew taking apart a plane that had landed on Johns, that they kept the bent props as a trophies.

Now Stuart Island, to the northwest has a runway, that I could only find a few crash landings on the NTSB web site (funny, I couldn't find any reports for Johns, maybe somebody forgot to notify the FAA) reported. Seems most of the crashes were due to wet turf...not a problem in August, when I spend a couple of weeks on the island.

You don't have a problem with beach landings, right? Maybe low tide would be better, cause sometimes there isn't much beach during high tide.

I guess if you can stay on the beach, and out of the trees/forest, it would be fine. Long beach, but not all that wide. Of course, I am a student, so anything smaller than the Orting soccer fields looks small to me! Well, OK, the barns weren't bad either, just staying out of the low lying ponds south of the barns was a challenge.

So, is 2000 feet of turf on Stuart sufficent for a Porter?

Jeff
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

Of the places I've lived that I was old enough to crtitque......

Conecticut
Pro - Grew up there. Love the New England landscapes and country towns. Very peaceful.
Con - Too much money. Corrupt. Plastic.

New York - Long Island
Pro - The point. Georgious. Nice camping.
Con - One big strip mall.

New York - City
Pro - Bright lights, big city. Endless things to do. Great museums. Favorite part - The Village.
Con - "The Shitty" - Busy. Loud. Too much pavement. Dirty.

New York - Upstate
Pro - Adirondacks are AMAZING! The hiking and mtn biking was awsome.
Con - FREEZING. Closest mall was at least an hour away.

Vermont
Pro - Just about everything. Fun, young, good music, good food, mountains, everything.
Con - No good dropzones that I know of. Cold.

Massachusettes
Pro - Boston is a fun city to check out on the weekend.
Con - It's Massachusettes

Maryland
Pro - Loved Annapolis. Cute little town. Love all the sailboats coming in and out.
Con - Not overly exciting.

Virginia
Pro - Job market ROCKS! Skydive Orange is the bomb digitay! Good bars.
Con - Traffic. Cost of living - especially housing.

Wyoming
Pro - The most gorgeous place I have ever lived. Nestled in the mountains on a ranch. 150 horses to wrangle in every morning. Endless backpacking and climbing. Mmmmmm.
Con - The only real commercial thing in our town was the post office which was open one day a week. :D

Michigan
Pro - Skydive Tecumseh
Con - Everything else. Yuck.

Michigan
Pro - Skydive Tecumseh
Con - Everything else. Yuck.

Hey... my families cottage on Lake Michigan doesn't suck... :P

Actually, you're kind of right. I have a lot of family in northern Michigan, around Harbor Springs. It really is nice up there. I lived closer to Ann Arbor/Detroit.

We only have 1950 feet of turf runway at Barker Field:P

Most of the time the Porter is airborne in about 100 yards or so.

You may need to speed up your student progression... get water training....

The rest of us... beach landings no problem....:)

As you get more experience your accuracy will get better.. just plan on it and learn to land where you want.. but definitely get some experience under your belt before you try a tight landing area....ESPECIALLY when you are near water.

Actually, you're kind of right. I have a lot of family in northern Michigan, around Harbor Springs. It really is nice up there. I lived closer to Ann Arbor/Detroit.

yeah... that side of the state is kind of ugly... unless you're a car person... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

A Porter needs about 30 feet with no boulders or trees. ;)

Blues,
Dave

I seem to recall a plane landing on the beach one time. Wonder what that's like. Nice long beach, pretty much a straight line.

Thirty feet, hahaha!

J
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

I was going through some pictures, and HERE are some things I love about my state. The last 3 pictures are from the same cave.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Living in Missouri (unfortunately), One word discribes this wasteland - MISERY. Been to all of the states except 4 of them. Born and raised in Southern Cal. San Diego ROCKS. The best part of Missouri is the center - no matter which way you go - you're heading out. Lived in Mexia, Texas - nice place. Lived in Jacksonville, Fl - was alright. Lived out of the US for a year in Mexico - loved it. But Missouri - dispise it, Cannot think of one good thing about this state, except for the aforementioned center.

http://www.flyingloomembroidery.com

Born and raised in williamstown, NJ-- just oustide of Philly. Been living in FL the past four years. I love the skydiving in FL, though I do miss crosskeys sometimes. Love the FL weather, the people are nicer, but the food sucks (except the sushi), and I miss the leaves changing colors.

On the other hand, FL has beautiful beaches, natural springs and rivers to canoe/free dive/snorkle and stuff. So, everything is a trade off, I guess. No matter what I say people will still think Jersey is the armpit of the nation. :D
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)