Malus

I thought tandems could only take one passenger

I am thinking about doing a tandem at this DZ, but my friend gave me this photo of her jump. After seeing one of the instructors at this DZ right on the back of her tandem instructor, I'm a little nervous to do my jump there. I just wanted to ask instructors on this site if this picture should make me unduly nervous to do my jump at this DZ or if this is normal?Thanks.

Are the other people in the picture friends of the tandem passenger?

Bon, I can smell a Troll..... :D

Be safe
Ed

:D

funny - smellsl ike photoshop to me :ph34r:
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Are the other people in the picture friends of the tandem passenger?

Bon, I can smell a Troll..... :D

Be safe
Ed

:D

funny - smellsl ike photoshop to me :ph34r:

and not a very good one
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Actually, I was sincerely wondering what is going on with this picture and if something like this happens on my tandem shoud I be worried. As for photoshop, the only thing I did was crop the picture so it would be small enough because she emailed me a larger picture. Sorry if this was troll-like. I really didn't mean it to be.

I doubt if that was "photo-shopped" because the shadows all line up.
The goofball - wearing the silver Mirage - should never have been allowed on the jump.

A quick measure of a tandem-instructor's professionalism is to ask them if they will allow relative strangers to chase them. If the answer is "yes" move to the next DZ down the road.
Most professional TIs are so buys steering their students, checking buckles, checking hooks, checking their students, etc. that they are too busy to handle the added distraction of extra jumpers in the air.
Hint: the last two people (Kelly and Gretchen Dunn) me - were on the world-record 300-way. ... and the only person (Briab Wnuk) who was\allowed to chase tandems yesterday was on the world-record 400-way.

In conclusion: professional skydiving schools only allow a handful of trusted, outside videographers to chase tandems.

In conclusion: professional skydiving schools only allow a handful of trusted, outside videographers to chase tandems.

Yup. And if I don't know you, you're not lurking a tandem with me as the TI. Even if I know you, but I have never jumped with you. The answer is no. If I've jumped with you but don't think you're ready, the answer is no. If I don't trust your judgement in the air, the answer is no (which I've had to say to a video guy more then once).

Even if I trust you, know you, you've got the skill, the judgement and you've even done it before the answer might be no. There might be some other factors that would make me not to want a lurker.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you look at this guys other post in the incidents section it would seem like he knows a thing or two about tandem hardnesses. I would think that he would know what is going on in that picture and whether or not it is a safe thing to do.

I am thinking about doing a tandem at this DZ, but my friend gave me this photo of her jump. After seeing one of the instructors at this DZ right on the back of her tandem instructor, I'm a little nervous to do my jump there. I just wanted to ask instructors on this site if this picture should make me unduly nervous to do my jump at this DZ or if this is normal?Thanks.

You're not kidding anyone here with your pretentions of being an anonymous whuffo.

You said this about the Ohio tandem fatality:
"I agree with Phoenix77. A harness will be tight on a woman who is 5'2 and 220 lbs. Because she was a liitle larger, the back straps probably cannot be that loose to make that big of a hole for a larger person to fall through. If the belly strap was undone and the chest strap was not properly secured, it is more likely that the passenger fell forward."
These two statements do not match up. In the first, you pretend to not know anything about tandem jumping, and in the second, you talk like you are a tandem master yourself.

So if you want to stir up trouble about this photo, just be honest and start a discussion on it. But don't play games and come here pretending to be something you're not, with some kind of hidden agenda which you hope you can prompt someone else to talk about, in order to make others look bad. All you're doing is making yourself look bad.

I completely agree that pretending to be someone you are not is not right. But that is not the case here. I am no tandem master. The previous post I made was based on a conversation I had with an experienced skydiver. I had seen the story on CNN and was eager to offer any insight I had gained to this forum. If there is any misrepresentation it would lie there--in the fact that I wrote something based on experience I did not have. But I suspect this is not an uncommon occurance in any field.

As for the more recent post--I am understand that the photo represents a dangerous situation. I know that without having done any jumps. The question I had is that I am just unsure how dangerous it is, how this sitatuion could be allowed to happen, and if I should consider doing a tandem at this dropzone. I deeply apologize if I confused or offended anyone here. I think you also need to be careful about jumping to conclusions. I will remove my initial post if it is not conducive to starting a helpful discussion. But if it does raise any important issues, then perhaps we can raise those issues now.

The question I had is that I am just unsure how dangerous it is, how this sitatuion could be allowed to happen, and if I should consider doing a tandem at this dropzone.

Ok, so you're not an experienced jumper or even a jumper?

Your choice on what DZ should be on their history, not one event, unless a history lead up to that one event.

Giving opinion, as a non-jumper, about a skydiving incident isn't the best way to make friends and influence people in this sport.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I completely agree that pretending to be someone you are not is not right.

Then why not honestly fill out your profile?

I understand John's skeptisim totally.

the photo represents a dangerous situation. I know that without having done any jumps.

How could you possibly have an opinion as to what is and is not "dangerous" with no prior experience and knowledge of what is is you are basing an opinion on?

If you want individuals here to be helpful to your inquirys I would take John's statement into consideration.

You would be amazed how well images can be doctored in Photoshop in the hands of the right person the shadows alone are not sufficient evidence that this image was not manipulated in Photoshop. Notice in the attached picture how hard it is to tell the difference between the faces in this doctored image and the one in the origional posting - uncanny isnt it?

I have had the thought that it would be great to be required to have a rating in order to post in the "Instructors" forum.
After all, this forum is; "A forum for Instructors to exchange ideas and share information and techniques about your specific area of instruction. "

Ok I'll give it a go, sence no one else will answer your questions.

After seeing one of the instructors at this DZ right on the back of her tandem instructor, <<<

If the guy in the silver mirage is an instructor then he should have not flown in so hot. Apparently he got cought in the tandem burble.

I just wanted to ask instructors on this site if this picture should make me unduly nervous to do my jump at this DZ or if this is normal?Thanks. <<<

NO it is not normal, most T-I's wont allow that many extra jumpers to lurk. I count three, four if you count the video flyer.
Still nervous?

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Thanks for the information. That's all I wanted to know. As for assessing the level of danger in the photo, I don't think I need many jumps to notice how close the mirage guy is to getting caught in a line or even apparently hitting the tandem master.

I honestly didn't post to cause problems or to pose as something I'm not; I just wanted to get information and insight from people who know if this happens a lot. I will take your suggestion to fill out my profile so hopefully any other questions I pose on this site will be met with less skepticism. May I suggest that people on this forum be a little more hesitant to judge the character of a particular poster. And I wish I had the photoshop skills some of you think I have! Thanks for all your help!

Unless you just get married to the tandem master 15 min. before the jump and request the others to jump with you, you will not have anyone but the videographer near you.
(p.s. you would also have to request the video)

(P.P.S. the passenger is not a student.)

Death is so permanant, and I'm just not ready for that kind of committment.

could that be classed as a mid air collision? (or stuff up)
And would something like the photo is showing be reported because it appears to be so dangerous?

Edited: Anyone out there who can confirm this photo is real?

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love

You would be amazed how well images can be doctored in Photoshop in the hands of the right person the shadows alone are not sufficient evidence that this image was not manipulated in Photoshop. Notice in the attached picture how hard it is to tell the difference between the faces in this doctored image and the one in the origional posting - uncanny isnt it?

I have had the thought that it would be great to be required to have a rating in order to post in the "Instructors" forum.
After all, this forum is; "A forum for Instructors to exchange ideas and share information and techniques about your specific area of instruction. "

HAHAHAHA! The work of a true professional graphic artist!:D:D:D:D:D

I have seen some of your other works, but this is the best!:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

i know 3 of the people in your picture..... and one thing is for sure it was taken overa year and a half ago ( i know cuz the tandem master moved to germany then)... and the person in the back and on the right are both tandem instructors them selves.. don't know who the person on top of the tandem master is though, but i bet i could find out with a quick call to utah......

shit happens, it wasn't wanted i bet but sometimes even withthe best planning you can't avoid it... and i have to wonder, with that many lurkers i don't think it was a normal run of the mill tandem, it seems like it would have to be special like they knew the pasenger or something.....

opps, read more of the thread (don's post) and not going to reedit all of my post.... i knw who the passenger is now.. and see why they would all be there......

MALUS, if your friend really is the passenger why don't ya tell us her name two of the people on here know all or all but one of the people in the picture.....and the passenger is a name we both know....

MALUS, if your friend really is the passenger why don't ya tell us her name two of the people on here know all or all but one of the people in the picture.....and the passenger is a name we both know....

And with that I think we have seen the last of MALUS. >:(
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals