freeflyimpaired

Do you have a retirement plan in work?

The lottery winners got me wondering. How many people seriously manage thier money.

So, do you have a written plan, that you are DOING, in order to secure your income when your not working? Do you have a set goal for how much money or income producing assests you need to have to maintain the lifestyle that you want? Do you have a time/age in which you plan to attain this goal?

I'm still fairly young but as long as the stock market takes care of me I'm well on my way to retiring in my mid 50's. It won't be an extravagant retirement just enought to maintain my current lifestyle.

How about you?

Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

You didn't specify multiple answers. I've a few ways I'm working on retirement. With the chance of living 30 years after the age 65 getting to be a norm. Retirement is a big factor in my future planning. I've got first hand knowledge and a daily reminder of what it's like to try and live on SS for retirement. It sucks ass...

I'm invested in my companies 401k
I play a bit on the stock market (more a hobby) with a small amount of capital. Not enough to break me if I lost it.
I'm also going to win the lottery, only way I'll afford retirement. :|

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I work for the DoD and will retire July 31st at the age of 55. besides my civil service pension I paid into a thrift savings account which will make up the reduction when I retire. I plan to work part time just to keep me active. I have heard to many stories of people retiring and doing nothing and passing away in less than a year.

Yeah, I don't think that I could ever fully retire and just sit at home trying not to spend my money. I'll definitely have some active hobbies or a part time job of some sort. I hope I'm not a walmart greeter.

Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

no written plan but i do have 2 investment properties and i own my home I live in, the plan is to hold on to the properties for a few more years then sell them and live off of the capital gains :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My companies retirement plan is for it's employees to work until they die.

Not really... but I can't imagine ever retiring. I can't even imagine taking a week off of work. No one does my job when I'm gone, so it's twice as hard when I come back.

I put the maximum amount allowed by law into my SAR-SEP every year. According to the retirement projections, I should have more than enough money to live on until I'm in my 90s. I also have long-term care insurance so I don't have to worry about my savings going to a nursing home.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

It would be nice if I could do what ever I wanted when I retire and not have to make money. I could stay longer at the job I have now but I don't want to die there by getting smootherd by the Bull Shit I have to put up with every day. Also lifting heavy steel sheets for the past 29 yrs. has taken a toll on my body and I need to quit while I can still get around. ;)

I Max out my 401K (And have for 10 Years now.)
I had a SEP Plan that was Maxed as well.
I used to work for a Company that had an ESOP. When that company was sold, I took the money and bought into the Company I work for now.
I own a significant part of the company I now work For. I am currently using my share of Company profits to buy out the Senior Partner that will be retiring in 4 years.

I am on track to retire before my 50th Birthday. Sooner if this Company gets bought out.

My companies retirement plan is for it's employees to work until they die.

Most companies' Mission Statement really boils down to these 2 items:
1) Rip off the customers
2) Screw the employees

Though not necessarily in that order.
My other ride is the relative wind.

The divorce pretty much took care of this decision for me :S
So since then ....
blow money on every available woman:P
sky dive
drink
purchase camper at local dz
skydive
drink
social security?!?!?![:/]
security guard at local Wallie World :|

Life will take care of itself. Have faith in yourself & God...

If your saying I should just "let go and let God", and everything will be fine, I don't think that is an excuse to not make intelligent financial decisions. A fool and his money are quickly parted, you can't just wing it and expect things to work out. I know plenty of people in thier 50's and 60's whos life falls short of my definition of amazing. Most of them would love to change they way they managed money back when they were in their 20's.

Of course not... that came out wrong. You are doing exactly what you need to do to secure comfortable future for yourself. You can never leave it all to God...that is just an excuse for lack of effort. I should choose my words more carefully. I'm saying that being a good person with values & understanding will insure a great future...and money will provide comfort. ;) Have a good one.