flyangel2

Hey Lisa and Renee, don't you wish you were with me today?

That's gorgeous!

To heck with Lisa & Renee - I wish I was there with you.

How long a hike is that? What kind of elevation gain?

I did a weekend hiking/camping trip two weekends ago, and did 19 miles in two days. Came home with blisters on my feet, but a smile on my face. But the scenary in central Texas is not as dramatic as that. And a heck of a lot warmer!

Beautiful! I take it you hiked up there! Where is this? Dogs are so cute with the little saddle bags on!

:)

Hike, hell!! I would've hired a Sherpa to carry my lazy ass.:ph34r::ph34r:

Sherpa told me to tell you, to carry your own sorry ass up the mountain, he is busy hunting marmots.

(picture taken last summer on the same trail)
Fly it like you stole it!

How long a hike is that? What kind of elevation gain?

Herman gulch is about 3 and a half miles each way with about a 1500' elevation gain (IIRC). It's right off I-70, so it makes a great trip if you are just driving through and have a little time to burn.

edited to add: It goes up to about 12,000 feet, so your lungs better be in good shape!

Herman gulch is about 3 and a half miles each way with about a 1500' elevation gain...

That's a rather "healthy" hike. Looks like great adventure. And looking at those photos, I want to dash up every little valley and peak. My mind always wants more than my legs can handle. :)

Here is a topo of the hike.

Yikes! That elevation doesn't help either.

And that looks like an interesting web site. One of my complaints about maps handed out at State Parks is that they usually don't have contour lines, so they're worthless in many ways at determining best routes and matching terrain features. I often purchase the USGS topo maps if I'm going to do serious hiking. It looks like you've had some terrific experiences in the outdoors.

That's a rather "healthy" hike. Looks like great adventure. And looking at those photos, I want to dash up every little valley and peak. My mind always wants more than my legs can handle.

Not to worry John, I'd take my time with you along;)

As Kelly said, having the topo CDs is the only way to go, I can map out my route, download it to my GPS, and then print out the map. Got to love that instead of the old compass. But you would be proud of me, because when the GPS can't get a reading, I still remember how to use the old compass:P
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Not to worry John, I'd take my time with you along;)

Please, go easy on me. No last minute tricks at critical times. ;)

having the topo CDs is the only way to go, I can map out my route, download it to my GPS, and then print out the map. Got to love that instead of the old compass. But you would be proud of me, because when the GPS can't get a reading, I still remember how to use the old compass:P

I'll have to look into that for Texas. I have the 1:24,000 paper maps for a lot of the state and national parks. I've used lattitude and longitude in the past, and am just now trying to wean myself off of that and use UTM instead.

I mostly just use my instincts and dead reckoning, with GPS waypoints for backup. Especially for my starting point, so I can always get back to my truck. I've only had to resort to the compass a few times, and it's kind of fun, but has a much larger margin of error. Most of my hiking is in relatively open areas, where sightings can be taken off of unique distant mountain peaks. If I was in solid woods, I'd probably be lost in no time flat.

Attached: a pleasant little spring water hole in a creek bed in wooded central Texas.

Oh John, great picture. I'll have to come out to Texas during the winter and do some hiking.

If it wasn't for my GPS on Monday, I'm not sure where I would have ended up at one point. With snow drifts still on the trail, there was one area that had me glad I had downloaded the map to my GPS.

Please, go easy on me. No last minute tricks at critical times. ;)

:)<----Who me? I thought you liked fruit loops;)

You do know that is my shining moment, I got to pull some thing over on you! And live to tell about it:P
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

:)<----Who me? I thought you liked fruit loops;)

You do know that is my shining moment, I got to pull some thing over on you! And live to tell about it:P

Well, you haven't been back since, so I haven't had a chance for revenge yet. ;)

Attached: a photo from a 4-day canoe trip on the Rio Grande.