sonomatommy

first rig

i have been jumping an aerodyne icon(rental) with a 170 main. i have the oppurtunity to purchase a wings with a 150 main, i have tried it on and it fits so much better than anything i have worn. my question is... is this to much of a jump down in size for a low jumper such as myself.[:/]

yes a 170 is a huge jump for someone with your limited numbers. Unless you are very small and very light.

It is a much bigger jump than from a 190 to a 170.

Get around 100 jumps at least on a 170 before you think of downsizing to a 150. Unless of course you are very light and your instructors reccommend it.

Make sure you ask them before you purchase any gear.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I agree with Bigway... However, I would like to point out that if the container fits well and has an appropriately sized reserve, it MAY be worth it to pick the rig up. I'm not suggesting jumping the main. Put that in your closet (for a couple of hundred jumps) or sell it and buy an appropriate main.

As always though.... Talk with your instructors before doing anything, consult riggers prior to buying, and regard any advice from these boards with a grain or two of salt. ;)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

i have been jumping an aerodyne icon(rental) with a 170 main. i have the oppurtunity to purchase a wings with a 150 main, i have tried it on and it fits so much better than anything i have worn. my question is... is this to much of a jump down in size for a low jumper such as myself.[:/]

Not nearly enough information has been presented to answer the question. Given that this is the internet it may be that no amount of you telling us things would satisfy if that is ok or not. I suggest asking your local instructors what they think. If they say "no way" no amount of asking on the internet would change what the real answer is. They know you better and are much more able to tailor a response that is appropriate.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Exactly what Derrick said.

I'm actually surprised anyone said anything other than "Talk to your instructors." But especially given that none of us have any info on what size body you have, what's your exit weight, etc. Everyone's experience varies. I weigh

Quite simply, without having seen you fly, no one on this board can make recommendations about what would be "appropriate" versus "not appropriate" versus "are you KIDDING?!?!"

And without knowing your exit weight, people on this board have even less of an ability of knowing what stands a chance of working out best for you and what doesn't.

Even given that info, I personally wouldn't presume to try and advise you, as I have low numbers myself. I'm just chiming in because while I don't have the experience to advise anyone as to their specific downsizing progression, I do have the experience to tell you confidently that you'd be better off talking with your instructors about it. They'll be better equipped than anyone on the internet to know and advise you on what's right for you, given your abilities and experience right now.

Don't let your urge to get a good deal or a rig that fits perfectly compromise your safety.

Signatures are the new black.

I gave him general info on downsizing from a 170 to a 150. I never gave him information on what he should do apart from the information that he should ask his instructors what to do before he was to purchase any gear.

It is the same information i would give when i reply to a sales order that i would receive via email.

I only thing i told him to do was ask his instructors while at the same time telling him that the downsize from a 170 to a 150 is a much bigger step than a downsize from a 190 to a 170.

As i have a gear store that mainly deals with orders through the internet i find that when someone is trying to buy a canopy off me that is new to the sport that they will then come back to me saying they have asked their instructor and their instructors reccomenadtions are......

I see every post here told the guy to ask his instructors and also gave some general opinions and they were good replies.

The advice i gave is the same advice i wuld give a customer trying to downsize when they know nothing about it and would not sell to them until i have confirmation from their instrucvctor that this is the right step.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

If you give me the size of the Wings main container, I'll tell you if it will also hold a 170. Then it would be a good deal to pick up and jump with a 170 in until you're ready for the transition. Some of our containers that are built for 150's will hold a 170 at a pinch.

If you give me the size of the Wings main container, I'll tell you if it will also hold a 170. Then it would be a good deal to pick up and jump with a 170 in until you're ready for the transition. Some of our containers that are built for 150's will hold a 170 at a pinch.

And there you have it, Gareth comes up with the perfect solution until you are ready to downsize.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

GOOD ADVICE!!!

yes a 170 is a huge jump for someone with your limited numbers. Unless you are very small and very light.

It is a much bigger jump than from a 190 to a 170.

Get around 100 jumps at least on a 170 before you think of downsizing to a 150. Unless of course you are very light and your instructors reccommend it.

Make sure you ask them before you purchase any gear.

...and as JP always says, "Share the love."