NlghtJumper

Maiden Names

When I was engaged people kept asking me what we planned on doing about the names. So what did you do about it?

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

I've never been married, but I've given this a lot of thought. Frankly, I've never really understood the need to change anyone's name, but I don't have a problem with doing it either. When I do get married, I'll leave it up to her and be happy with whatever she decides. It really just doesn't matter that much to me at all.

The one that really confuses is when people call themselves "Mr. and Mrs. [man's name]." I mean, if you want to change your last name that's one thing, but it's not like you become that person when you marry them.

Maybe I just don't get it.[:/]

I am a little partial to my name. I would like to keep it. But at the same time, I could understand if she would like to keep hers. So as long as she wasn't trying to force me to take her name, then I dont mind which choice she makes.

[The engagement never worked out, so I never had to find out my ex-fiance's choice]

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

I was just talking about this last night. It is such a pain in the ass to go and change your name on every I.D you have. What is the point? I decided when I get married not to change my name. Not that I am getting married anytime soon. I guess I am lazy and don't want to go through the hassle of it.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Never been married, but if I was gonna change my name I would change it to something cool, like Jame Bond and go into bars ordering drinks to be shaken, not stirred.

And when anyone asked me my name, I'd go, "Bond, James Bond."

That would sound a lot better than, "Appel, Walt Appel".

Walt

I dropped it completely. Even after getting divorced, I'm still using my married name because it's easier with the kids. I had my married name almost as long as my maiden name so I've just gotten used to it.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My boss' husband has a crazy polish last name so she kept her nice easy 5 letter name.. I hear her on the phone all the time explaining why she has a different name than her children. It seems like a royal pain in the arse to keep your own name if you have children. A life time of explaining vs. a few weeks of updating id cards & whatnot.

But then again, i really dislike my last name & can't wait to change it.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Never been married, but if I was gonna change my name I would change it to something cool, like Jame Bond and go into bars ordering drinks to be shaken, not stirred.

And when anyone asked me my name, I'd go, "Bond, James Bond."

That would sound a lot better than, "Appel, Walt Appel".

I think you'd lose some of the coolness factor when you ordered a soda "shaken, not stirred."
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I would definitely drop mine and take his. I like his so much better.

But a name is no reason to marry:P

I don't care much for my blase' last name but it serves its purpose:)
I like when a couple has the same last name, though---I don't care if he takes hers or she takes his or they make a new one up all together. It's just cute and practical too, b/c then you can just say "The Smiths" instead of "John Smith" and "Jane Doiley":P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

My wife is now transferring to my exclusive last name. It turned out that she was already recognizable and marketable by her last name. Wiht my last name, people would wonder, "Who the heck is she?"

So she hyphenated it for the last couple of years, and is now moving towards just my last name.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

At this point if I ever get married I'll probably keep mine, unless my groom-to-be-named-later has some really cool name.

I've known couples who both have used the hyphenated name, and who have created a whole new one. Whatever works.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I use my maiden name as my middle initial legally. I don't know why I did it. It just sort of happened. But I've had several different "new" last names. I kept the last one just because it was easier than going back to change all of legal stuff. When you get married it's cool and exciting to change your name. When you get divorced, it's just a pain in the ass.

But I DO like my middle name, especially when my honey says, "Nina Marie...." I know I'm either about to get a great treat...or be in a lot of trouble. :) Either way, I also know there'll probably be great sex afterwards! :$ >:(
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

My oldest sister dropped her middle name and replaced it with her maiden name.

example - Jennifer Ann Smith gets married to J. Jones and becomes "Jennifer Smith Jones"

She really gets pissed off when people hyphenate it into her last name.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My wife is now transferring to my exclusive last name. It turned out that she was already recognizable and marketable by her last name.

How so?

She had name recognition as an attorney. Had she changed her name immediately, people wouldn't know who she was or how to look her up, etc. So we had to ease my last name.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I was just talking about this last night. It is such a pain in the ass to go and change your name on every I.D you have. What is the point? I decided when I get married not to change my name. Not that I am getting married anytime soon. I guess I am lazy and don't want to go through the hassle of it.

In my opinion.... besides the whole tradition factor... it makes life a bit easier. Well worth the pain of changing it.

The biggest thing that comes to mind, is my brother. His poor daughter has a hyphenated last name (his exeq and then his).

I never receive checks made out to the wrong person. I can sign cards "The Smiths". I don't get questioned when calling to an account where his name is on it.

I never get questioned taking my son to the doctor because we share the same last name....

It all adds up.... and I am a traditional gal. I like my new name better anyway! :)

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

We had this debate here a couple of years ago I think. I, too, would not bother changing my name for a number of reasons, the main one being the inconvenience factor. Passport, license, credit cards, work, title to my house, car, etc.- if I was in my 20s and less "established, I might feel differently, and it might be different if I had children. But I also feel the tradition is not only dated, but sexist in nature. (not a popular opinion- I know.....:S)

Funny- my oldest sister is on her 2nd marriage. With her first marriage, she did the hyphen thing, and the kids have their dad's last name. With marriage number two, she just went back to her maiden name. I met her PV last March and didn't know what name to give the front desk at the hotel!

I am very traditional so there was no question of dropping my maiden name. I went from Turnage to Mayfield. Turnage just sounds funny to me now[:/]

My sister's first name is Yemia, and she married a Japanese man named Mark Hashimoto. No one believes she is my sister when I tell them her name. She still had one year of graduate school after they got married, and the professor was taking roll. When he called her name, he fixed his gaze on an oriental woman a couple of rows back. It took a little convincing on her part for sure as she is blonde and fair skinned.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28