WingFlyer

Wrinkles in Mirage g4.1 M5

Hi there, I've got a new mirage G4.1 M5 with a PD 190 Sabre 2 and a PDR 176. The sides of the container look really wrinkly. I'm talking about the main seams on the left and right of the container. The wrinkles were also there when the rigger packed it....

I read some other posts here about wrinkles on the Mirage reserve closing flaps, but this is worse than that (esthetically at least.) Any ideas how to get rid of them?

I hope I'm not packing in an optimal way (although I'm not so sure since the riggers pack job made the container look the same.) It would suck if this is how a brand new top of the line rig is designed....

It would suck if this is how a brand new top of the line rig is designed....

Well it certainly isn't designed that way. These issues seem to me to always be related to packing techniques (main and/or reserve) and canopy sizes. Get some experienced, hands-on help and I'm sure things will get straightened out.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I'm a young rigger, and I know when I pack a G4, If I don't close the left and right reserve side flaps simultaneously, then I'll be returning a rig with wrinkles. Also, it's a NEW mirage, understand that after about 3 repacks, the material will stretch and flex and they won't be too much of a problem.
It's hard to say without any pictures, but if they are as sever as you make them sound, then yes, it could very well be an issue with the construction of the rig.
=========Shaun ==========

I'm a young rigger, and I know when I pack a G4, If I don't close the left and right reserve side flaps simultaneously, then I'll be returning a rig with wrinkles. Also, it's a NEW mirage, understand that after about 3 repacks, the material will stretch and flex and they won't be too much of a problem.

I'm talking about wrinkles to either side of the main pack tray, along the seams. Looks like your descriptions are mostly around wrinkles in the reserve area, or am I misreading your post?

I'll need to post some pictures of the rig...

I'm talking about wrinkles to either side of the main pack tray, along the seams. Looks like your descriptions are mostly around wrinkles in the reserve area, or am I misreading your post?

I'll need to post some pictures of the rig...

It sounds like your main risers are stacked on top of each other along the sides of the reserve container. If you stagger the main risers so they lay flatter along the sides it will help. Also make sure the secondary riser covers are fully seated and the closing loop is the appropriate length on the main container.

It sounds like the risers and main container just need a little reshaping by hand to put everything in the right position. Once you do that a couple of times, it'll start coming together better every time you close the container. A little finesse sound like all it needs. A rigger or someone who owns a Mirage at your DZ should be able to help you with some hands-on experience.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

I also had wrinkles in my G4.1 when it was new.. Now that it isnt that new anymore it is not that stiff anymore and wont wrinkle at all..

I heard a lot of people reporting this before and I think its pretty normal with a new G4 (especially the bigger sizes I understand)After time I think it will flex from the right places and wont wrinkle anymore.

If it is the way mine was, its only cosmetic and doesnt really matter that much at all...

I did stagger the risers unfortunately. The wrinkles are lower down on the container.

The container looked like this when it was given to me by the rigger who set it up and packed everything. My pack jobs don't look any worse. It was bad right from the start.

I'll have to post some pictures so you can see what we're talking about. I understand it's hard without the pictures for you to look at.

The closing look length was set by the rigger. How can I double check that it's the best length for this container? It's not that I dont trust the rigger, I do; I would just like to be able to check this in future when I switch loops.

PS - I really like your site Mike, I read the articles there often.

The closing look length was set by the rigger. How can I double check that it's the best length for this container?

Check the Mirage manual, or even easier, is looking inside the packing tray of the Mirage container. There is a large rectangle lable that is filled with information, including the main closing loop length.

Here's the manual: http://www.miragesys.com/Downloads/G4ContainerManual.pdf

And yeah, as for the wrinkles it doesn't sound like we're helping you. Photos will help, as well as someone local looking at it for you.

Take care,
Mike
ChutingStar.com

OK folks. Here are the pictures. See if you can spot some wrinkles...you'll have to look very hard...

http://cid-1331f9c408f687c9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Mirage/MirageG4%20013.jpg

http://cid-1331f9c408f687c9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Mirage/MirageG4%20014.jpg

http://cid-1331f9c408f687c9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Mirage/MirageG4%20009.jpg

Interesting to note that the wrinkles seem to be there in the sample place when the container is not packed... Here's one of a side flap with the container not packed
http://cid-1331f9c408f687c9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Mirage/MirageG4%20011.jpg

You can see more here: http://cid-1331f9c408f687c9.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Mirage

Yea...I'm no rigger, but that looks like shi*t. Looks like a car ran over it. Seem like theres too much material. Plus the big wrinkles stay in the same place even when the rig is not packed. Something's not right...very shitty.

Check this crap out...
http://cid-1331f9c408f687c9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Mirage/MirageG4%20013.jpg

I have to disagree with you there.

If you look carefully you'll see it's fine on the seam. The rig is packed with a lot of the bulk along the centreline, and if more of the bulk was in the outside of the main pack tray those wrinkles would be filled out.

Edit to add: Both the Sabre II 190 and the PD 176R fit "Snug" into the M5, so it may well be packing distribution.

Has the OP checked to see that they have an M5 bag?

Just as a reference, I posted this thread back in 2005 about the wrinkles in my Mirage G4.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1458173;search_string=Wrinkles%20Mirage%20G4;#1458173

As you may have guessed, it was all solved with packing.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Packing is most certainly a factor, I'm new at packing. My rigger gave it to me like this though which is a concern.

Also look how far out the reserve flap protrudes. This is a safety issue. Could be the closing loop on the reserve being too long.

http://cid-1331f9c408f687c9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Mirage/MirageG4%20016.jpg

try splitting your risers so they are next to each other and not on top. after you are done closing the rig, make sure you push the secondary riser covers(the covers along the side of the rig) back down all the way. they tend to slide up while closing the rig. this is what i do on mine. also, the reserve flap will break in after you have put several jumps on the rig.

Hello,
Where do you call your home dz? I do most of our factory rigging and am also our tour rep and will be all over the country for the rest of the season. I would be more than happy to repack your rig for free with you watching to gather tips if you like. 99% of the time it is bulk distribution of your main and reserve canopies as we hold very tight tolerances in the construction of our rig and very seldom is it due to the construction of the rig.

If we can't meet up sometime to have that repack done while you watch, feel free to send the rig in for a free repack and you can see how I distribute the bulk in packing.

Keep in mind, fabric will gather a memory just as a shirt will hold wrinkles, so will cordura so the longer it goes without being corrected the more memory will set in.

Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] and we'll get this straightened out.

Thanks
Ward

Hi Ward,
I would love to get packing tips from you and watch you pack a rig - absolutely. Skydive Snohomish in WA is my home DZ. When will you be over here?

I am indeed concerned about the cordura setting with wrinkles. I had called Mirage today and was totally impressed with the customer service. Connie is having me send in the rig for an inspection and repack. They will also fix the reserve setup since the cypres loop is probably too long now (The reserve flap protrudes way too much.)

Thanks again and I definitely hope you can make it out here to skydive snohomish. I defintely wouldn't miss it. We have lots of folks who ordered mirage rigs recently and I'm seeing a lot of newbies with wrinkled rigs :) I'm one of the picker ones who minds more than others I guess :) I think your help would be very valuable.