Falco98

in need of a rigger near Myrtle Beach

Hey all,
I'm trying to make a roadtrip (hopefully) next weekend and would like to have a fresh reserve (my last repack was over a year ago, sigh). I'm not altogether familiar with any of the DZs around here, but figured someone may know of a rigger in/around myrtle beach or the general area, who could give me a repack some evening in the following week?

Thanks for any help,
~Mike
D-25147

I've been thinking about them -- i'm actually kinda regretting not going up there yesterday (talk about a PERFECT weekend, weather-wise, sigh). My reservation is that I've not jumped there before, don't know anyone, and would feel a bit weird showing up in the middle of a jump day with an out-of-date rig begging for a rigger. Course, I know I should have just gotten over myself and gone, but it's a little late now, heh.

Most riggers are going to want a day or two to beable to inspect the container and reserve to the level needed to repack it. The inspection might only take 1-3 hours but this way they are not being rushed or distracted. The best bet is to contact the local DZ's and ask them for a list of riggers they would recommend. Some have riggers on staff, others have riggers that jump there and can only do the rigging during the week and pick up rigs at the end of the weekend. Once you have a list call around and ask a few about their prices, their currency and if they have recieved any type of on going training. If you find one that is a mater rigger or someone that keeps themself up to date by attending training or PIA then they tend to know the latest info from the manufactors and tricks in the trade.

Work with your new rigger to get the rig to them with enough time to inspect it, repack it and do any maintianence needed like new CYPRES batteries, replacing a worn out BOC or anything else that might need done. Dropping it off inthe morning and wanting to jump it that afternoon on a nice weather day is a easy way to get a rigger to refuse to work on your rig in the future.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't know what you're doing to keep someone's gear from them for a day or two...I do a full inspection and repack in a matter of 3 hours and that's going slow.

I charge extra for a rush, but certainly can and will accomodate someone wanting their gear packed right away. I packed someone's reserve on a Sunday when they just showed up a couple weeks ago....he sat there and watched me pack his reserve, which he had never been able to do before because of riggers that wanted the gear dropped off and come back later...I suspect the gear wasn't getting repacked, just signed off.

If someone showed up at the DZ at noon on a busy Saturday unless the riggers are just sitting around waiting on people to bring in rigs for repacks odds are that most riggers will be out jumping, flying the plane, teaching a student class or something else to keep the DZ running during their prime time. The main reason I've seen that DZ riggers wnat the rig dropped off is to have the repack done at their convienence, ie that evening or at a time that they will not be doing a dozen other things. Further at least at 3 DZ's I've been to the repack area is a shared function area where in addition to repacks they also do student training, or its the main packing area so the space is not there during the middle of a busy time peroid to do repacks.

Riggers that operate outside of DZ empolyment tend to be more flexible in their scheduling and repacking but I've still had a few that ask to have it dropped off since they too have lives outside skydiving and can not pack it at that moment.

I suspect the gear wasn't getting repacked, just signed off.

Easy solution, fire the reserve off prior to dropping it off.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah, well you and I both know there's plenty of riggers that pack rigs with a pen, not sweat...and use being "busy" as an excuse to "leave the rig and pick it up later". I always encourage my customers to sit back and watch their rigs be packed, that way they know the rig has been packed and maybe learned something...I also have them pull the handles because it may be the only time they pull the handles, but they are aware of pulling them.

Skydive Coastal Carolinas has a rigger on staff with a full service rigging loft above manifest.

He does offer expedited pack jobs, but will charge extra (several different time frames available). There is a pricing list posted somewhere around the manifest office.

You did miss a great weather weekend, but the DZ was fairly slow. Not many tandems and the up-jumpers seemed to scatter this weekend with other things going on.

Real friendly group, and there is sometimes jumping during the week, just give a call up there to find out when tandems are flying or a group of upjumpers took the day off to play. If you show up, I'm sure someone will jump with you.

Best,
Dru
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."