reinhart36

Favorite gear bag?

So, as a new skydiver who has now collected a full set of gear (rig, helmet, suit, alti..), I'm interested in a way to store/transport it all in one organized package.

I'm not interested in spending $200 on some italian made gear bag..:S

Anyone have a favorite or clever way of toting their gear around??

I'm thinking I might go peruse Walmart's sporting goods section..

I've seen quite a few people picking up the bags with wheels lately. Wally world is a good start...I'm sure you can find some kind of deal there. A friend of mine uses the Marlboro travel sports bags (with wheels) when he travels...they have a lot of room, quite a few compartments and pull behind pretty easy.

Good luck.
Kaye

I have a Samsonite that can hold everything I need to jump sans helmet and its small enough to be able to carry on a plane if/when I'm traveling.

I don't remember what I paid for it but it was less then $100 I'm sure... Don't skimp too much on luggage... I've bought some cheap luggage and it falls apart after a few uses... I've had my Samsonite carry-on for about 4 years and its still in great shape... :)

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I've hauled my Square1 Deluxe around a lot but have had to resew a few pockets on it since the canvas just pulled out since the stitching was too close to the edge. Its nice having the sholder straps on it. If I was traveling more on the airlines I'd probally look at a Pelican case to hold my gear since its damn near airline proof once you clip the padlocks on it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I found that the best gearbag to use is an Aviator's kit bag which costs about $30 and is big enough to hold all gear and if it does not have small pockets inside already you can talk to a rigger and have him or her sew some pockets so you will be able to hold rubberbands,altimeters and whatever else you want
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

I don't remember what I paid for it but it was less then $100 I'm sure... Don't skimp too much on luggage... I've bought some cheap luggage and it falls apart after a few uses... I've had my Samsonite carry-on for about 4 years and its still in great shape... :)

I couldn't agree more on skimping on luggage. I've literally had bags that went to the trash after on use!

Thanks for the reply.

I've hauled my Square1 Deluxe around a lot but have had to resew a few pockets on it since the canvas just pulled out since the stitching was too close to the edge. Its nice having the sholder straps on it. If I was traveling more on the airlines I'd probally look at a Pelican case to hold my gear since its damn near airline proof once you clip the padlocks on it.

Thanks for the feedback Phree.

Incidentally, don't the airlines make you remove any locks from your checked luggage these days?

Airlines don't, its the TSA and they offer the option of sitting there and waiting until the bag clears security and unlocking it if needed. I've taken this option a few times when flying with valuables in my checked bags.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

So, as a new skydiver who has now collected a full set of gear (rig, helmet, suit, alti..), I'm interested in a way to store/transport it all in one organized package.

1. It needs wheels. While 25 pounds of rig isn't too bad, rig plus clothes plus camping gear is too much. It's great to have the option of dragging it.

2. If your rig is small enough it should fit within the airlines maximum carry-on limits of 22 x 9 x 14" so they can't loose it and ruin your vacation.

I like the 22x9x14" Victorinox backpack/roll-aboard, although that's European in the $200+ price category.

If you have one close by, Costco has a nice rolly case that has two main compartments. They often call it a drop bottom. I use the lower one to hold my rig & shoes and the upper one for helmets, clothing, camera etc. It has two external compartments and some internal pockets along the edges. It also has the shoulder straps to convert it into a backpack. Runs about $40.

I can't find it online at Costco, but it looks kind of like this one.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Airlines don't, its the TSA and they offer the option of sitting there and waiting until the bag clears security and unlocking it if needed. I've taken this option a few times when flying with valuables in my checked bags.

Is it still a requirement to have TSA approved locks (you know the ones that aren't really secure... :SB|)

Nope, I was hard at work on earning my Platunim status this year prior to travel limitations and I never flew with TSA locks. If you do not have a TSA lock thy request you stand there at the Xrays until its cleared in case they need to open it. Other wise the bolt cutters or box cutter comes out to open up your bag if they need to inspect it closer.B| Next time I fly with my Pelican with gear in it, its going to have 2 pad locks on it.

Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Nope, I was hard at work on earning my Platunim status this year prior to travel limitations and I never flew with TSA locks. If you do not have a TSA lock thy request you stand there at the Xrays until its cleared in case they need to open it. Other wise the bolt cutters or box cutter comes out to open up your bag if they need to inspect it closer.B| Next time I fly with my Pelican with gear in it, its going to have 2 pad locks on it.

Cool... thanks... :)

I use the same one from Costco and I see a lot of them around the dropzones. It holds up well and has plenty of room for everything.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

If you have one close by, Costco has a nice rolly case that has two main compartments. They often call it a drop bottom. I use the lower one to hold my rig & shoes and the upper one for helmets, clothing, camera etc. It has two external compartments and some internal pockets along the edges. It also has the shoulder straps to convert it into a backpack. Runs about $40.

Hey monkycndo, is it the "Costco 30" Rolling Gear Bag?"

See the attached picture. If this is the bag, is it difficult getting a rig through the top opening of the bag?

thanks (to everyone)!