peek

Peek revisits the Kruger balloon suit, 20 years later

A friend got a Kruger balloon suit with some gear she bought, and gave the suit to me. It was one of those "lucky fit" things. It was like it was built custom for me, (no small feat.)

The last time I jumped one was about 20 years ago when I borrowed my friend's, who used it for his regular suit, since all jumpsuits were all rather large back then. I couldn't fly it worth a damn because I had about 200 jumps or so and it was so different, having inflatable arms and legs. After the jump he said, "you wouldn't come down to us!" Well, I couldn't. It takes some practice to fly one of these.

So I follow out 2 experienced jumpers/instructors doing a Tandem and stayed out of the way, just close enough to get a reference point.

It inflated very smoothly, and practice touches did not feel too unusual, although I pulled high anyway just to be sure. It created enough extra burble to cause a slight hesitation in deployment.

The first thing I noticed was that I was not feeling the wind. It was interesting. And the amount of drag was amazing. It actually flies smoothly enough for video. But I have no idea how anyone ever did any good RW in one.

I had to make it deflate to get anywhere near the drogue fall rate. Then I let it all hang out, and went zooming up. Not the usual repertoire for a big guy.

The next jump I followed 3 guys doing RW, and 2 were novices, so they were funneling things and I didn't get anywhere near them. I did a "gainer" exit and it inflated well again. I tried vigorous tracking which deflated the wings and vibrated my arms in an uncomfortable way. A "delta" position works OK.

I think it will be useful once in a while for following Tandems or the very lightweight students, since my other jumpsuits are not enough.

If anyone else is thinking of trying one:
1. Get some experience with a non-inflatable large wing jumpsuit first.
2. I'd be scared to jump a canopy known to line twist and spin, because of that burble.
3. Practice touches and pull high of course.
4, Throw the pilot chute vigorously.
5. Get the arm and leg latching mechanisms secure because not having everything inflated symmetrically would suck.

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding something, but was lurking a tandem in a dramatically different suit you were almost completely unfamiliar with the safest decision?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

So I follow out 2 experienced jumpers/instructors doing a Tandem and stayed out of the way, just close enough to get a reference point.

I think you might have a different visual picture of "close enough to get a refrence point" than I do.

A tandem lurk gets you a lot closer than just providing a refrence point!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding something, but was lurking a tandem in a dramatically different suit you were almost completely unfamiliar with the safest decision?

Did you look at his experience level in his profile to the left of the message?

For a novice, or somebody who had never flown a balloon suit, that would be a good observation. However, Gary has been jumping forever, and has some prior experience with the suit from back in the day. Plus, he is a tandem instructor examiner with tons of tandem experience and demonstrated good judgment.

Flying "near" a tandem can mean different things to different people. My sense is that Gary began a considerable distance away, and simply used the tandem as a reference point. Knowing what I do about flight experience and balloon suits, there probably wasn't ever a conflict.

A balloon suit is pretty fun to fly, has tons of lift, and good tracking performance, but it is a tough suit to fly close to other people because reaching really shoves you back. And, as you approach a formation even without reaching it feels like the burble crates a wall of air that you need to aggressively push through. Heck, if you are trying to dock on a balloon suit while wearing a regular suit you will feel the wall of air around the formation as you make your approach. The other thing worthy of note is that if you are lurking above a balloon suit the burble is much bigger and more pronounced, and it's easy to crash onto the formation. None of those issue apply if you are lurking a short distance from a tandem.

For those who have flown an inflatable wing suit, a balloon suit is pretty similar. My sense of the difference is that the wing suit is designed for aerodynamic performance, while the balloon suit is designed to just fill with air and slow you down, without any real aerodynamic advantage. It's a sloppy suit to fly, but pretty fun. It was all the rage in the late 70's or early 80's, until FliteSuit came out with their Standardized Fall Rate jump suits and RWer's transitioned to faster relative fall rates.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

You obviously have no idea who you are talking about. Do a search. On top of not really having any experience...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Did you look at his experience level in his profile to the left of the message?

Of course, I do for everybody. I just don't like to assume that high jump numbers make somebody invincible to possible mistakes and their consequences.

You obviously have no idea who you are talking about. Do a search. On top of not really having any experience...

This is exactly why my post said "Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding something" and "I really don't know what I'm talking about". Would you prefer that I just not ask next time? :S

For a novice, or somebody who had never flown a balloon suit, that would be a good observation. However, Gary has been jumping forever, and has some prior experience with the suit from back in the day. Plus, he is a tandem instructor examiner with tons of tandem experience and demonstrated good judgment.

Thank you, now I know.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

No, cuz next week he going to try to land it. :D:D:D
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Sounds like fun Gary! Come on up to Chicagoland and we can fly ours together. I got one several years ago and pull it out every once in awhile. I was laughing reading your post remembering my first couple jumps with it. Forget flocking dives, let's get some Kruger dives going!

Don Moffett

Any photos? Or photos of a similar suit? I have a vague idea in my head but I'd love to see one in action.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Any photos? Or photos of a similar suit? I have a vague idea in my head but I'd love to see one in action.

Here's another. I don't know if it's a Kruger or not but...
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hi Gary
Just this past weekend we had Jeff from Tonys Wing Suits at Midwest Freefall Near Romeo MI. I have the RW version of the Ballon Suit I got out to show him. I also have a Windjammer from Tom Campau of Midwest Parachute Sales circa 1975. Jeff seemed impressed that we lived through that era. The original owner gave me the "Babbon Suit" as he was retiring it because it didnt land very well.Easily shown by the patches on the butt.With that kind of reasoning you can imagine how his freefall went. A dock was scrunch up go below re-inflate and hope you grabbed someone on your way back up?
Hope to to see you next year if WFFC happens again.
I am going to Richmond for sure. Did you see Blue Skies for Jane" Mom" Stewart passing away over the week end. Sure going to miss her

It was Al Kruger who lost an arm to machine gun bullets in Viet Nam ... eventually got two artificial arms ... RW guru in the 1970s ... World Champion in 8-way ... Captain Hook and the Sky Pirates ... Pieces of Eight ... long-time Southern California jumper ... recently dislocated a shoulder in freefall ... etc.

It wasn't Al or Bud Kruger because the spelling is different on the suit. (I.E. Kruger vs Krueger). Also Al still has one arm. The suits were excellent for idiots like myself trying to get stable on short delays during static line training. Just step off the step, arch, and instant stability!!

It wasn't Al or Bud Kruger because the spelling is different on the suit. (I.E. Kruger vs Krueger). Also Al still has one arm. The suits were excellent for idiots like myself trying to get stable on short delays during static line training. Just step off the step, arch, and instant stability!!

Freddy Krueger ?? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~