PLFXpert

This is Your Captain Speaking...

So how many of ya'll are pilots?

Were you a pilot first, then a skydiver or vice versa?

Did either or develop the interest in the other?

Billy and I have decided (no official plans as of yet) to get our instrumental licenses. I'm REALLY excited. Billy has a good friend of his family that has always had a standing offer on the table---of course I found this out only recently and this was my face: :o I can't believe I've dated this man for six years and I'm only now finding out about this ace in his back pocket. I'm one to take advantage of every ace I get.;)

Of course, we got to talking about many of the jump plane pilots we've met that have thousands of jumps themselves, but then became pilots.

Just curious...:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

First jump many years ago infected me with the flying bug.
Took an introductory flight, liked it.
Went to school for my A&P.
Took my fresh A&P and worked for a flight school that paid me in flight time. Got commercial and instrument, ASEL, and have still never paid for an hour of cockpit time apart from that introductory flight.B|
Recently started skydiving.:)
Edit to add: So why do I suck so bad at flying a canopy?!:|:P:S[:/]

Matt

First jump many years ago infected me with the flying bug.
Took an introductory flight, liked it.
Went to school for my A&P.
Took my fresh A&P and worked for a flight school that paid me in flight time. Got commercial and instrument, ASEL, and have still never paid for an hour of cockpit time apart from that introductory flight.B|
Recently started skydiving.:)
Edit to add: So why do I suck so bad at flying a canopy?!:|:P:S[:/]

'cause it doesn't have an engine:S:P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

so cool.....both the new poilots at our DZ are skydivers. One is licensed and the other is going thru AFF!!!!!! It is awesome because they really care about getting the skydivers the right spot and how we feel!!!!!:)

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

I started out learning to fly a plane and got introduced to skydiving...jumping out of the plane was much more fun...I do have some stick time and a bunch of my lesson books/materials still handy..if you want them you may have them...they are only two years old and I don't think too much has changed...I also have a headset that you are welcome too...the headset is basically new too, let me know.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Pilot then skydiver. Needless to say I found the latter cheaper and more fun.

Havent been current for over 8 years now. Do I miss it? hell yes. Is it worth the cost based on my other priorities? not yet... Until I find that bag of cash that somebody lost.... then ask me again.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

I was a pilot first, because you have to be 19 where I'm from to jump.My dad used to fly me to a small cessna dz to watch the "parachuters". Ever sinse then, I had the urge to skydive. I soloed on my 16th B-day, got my license at 17 and started jumping when I was 19. I now fly skydivers and jump at that same dz. Cant deside whats better flying or jumping. Just glad to be able to do both !!

It's Delta Connaection Accadamy. Pretty cool place....10 months training from Private, Instrument, Multi and comercial, then on to CFI, CFII, MEI. Then work for them for 800 hours as an instructor, do the Jet transition and interview with the regionals.....gotta see about the loan though....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I do have some stick time.

I bet you do.;)

:D

and a bunch of my lesson books/materials still handy..if you want them you may have them...they are only two years old and I don't think too much has changed...I also have a headset that you are welcome too...the headset is basically new too, let me know.

I will, indeed.:)
I'm excited. I don't think (as much as I'd still like to) think I'd consider it at this stage if I had to pay cost. I'm so excited for the opportunity.:P

Billy and I have decided (no official plans as of yet) to get our instrumental licenses

Training for the instrument ticket was my least favorite part of learning to fly, but the payoff is worth it. Not only do you get some important stayin' alive skills and expand the conditions in which you can make a trip, but the most beautiful vistas that I have ever seen were encountered while cruising in and out of clouds.
Picture this: It's a grey drizzly sky and you haven't seen the sun in a few days. Go flying, climb up into the ugly grey, and it starts getting a little brighter. The more you climb the brighter it gets until that perfect moment when you break through and feel that impossibly bright sun on your face. Level off right there and cruise along the very top of the clouds, looking around at the slowly shifting snowy landscape, white plains, hills and valleys flowing smoothly around you, even a sprinkling of rainbows if you know where to look.

Damn. Now I want to go flying again.:| But I have to save money for skydiving!:)

Matt

Sounds fantastic!

I just don't see the point in getting licensed if it has to be perfect conditions for me to fly.

Not that I WANT to fly in less than perfect, but I live in Florida where if you don't like the weather, wait a minute.:D So, I think it' safer to know.

Speaking of clouds--that is one of my most memorable skydives. I was only on jump #14 (or so) and the entire porter load exited despite total ground cover as far as you could see. Needless to say our "estimated" spot was off. From about 3k down to 800 ft it was all clouds and no way to avoid them. It was my first time (obviously) ever in a cloud. It was so amazing. B/c how many people can say they've actually experienced a cloud in this world? When I'd be flying commercially as a little girl I took so many (terrible:D) rolls of film on just the clouds from the airplane window. They look so fluffy and seem a lot more dense to look at then they are to be inside.

It sounds hoaky but it was really an exciting experience to me.:)

I don't think skydiving got me interested in flying or the desire to fly got me interested in skydiving.

The two are very separate for me.

I already skydive a LOT less than when I first started. I tend to have a lot of hobbies and I'm always wanting to try new things.

I'm just as excited now at 25 to learn to fly, as I was at 20 to learn to skydive.

:)

I started skydiving first, but I actually caught the flying bug before that when my brother got his pilots license and took me up flying with him. I always knew I wanted to start flying, but I didn't have the time or money for it until I got injured and had to take a break from skydiving to heal. I am now 15 hours in to my pilots training and fully healed.
Fly like a girl