Unstable

My first save....

After 9 months of Rigging and about 85 Inspections & repacks, last weekend I had my first save from a Student on his second 10-second delay.

Student pulled on-time after exiting at an altitude of approxomatly 5,500', and experienced a pilotchute in tow. As he turned his shoulders to Check his main canopy, it cleared and he began his emergency procedures right as the bag left the container.

He did a perfect job - under his reserve by 2,500', and all parts (minus the handle) were recovered. I'm speaking with Sunrise rigging right now, but the general consensus is his pilot chute just hung out too long in the burble and cleared as he checked.

My first save. :)
=========Shaun ==========

Awesome!! Isn't it a great feeling? My first save was myself before i even had my rigger's ticket and was still under supervision. I'm a cheapass and never did buy myself a bottle.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Awesome!! Isn't it a great feeling? My first save was myself before i even had my rigger's ticket and was still under supervision. I'm a cheapass and never did buy myself a bottle.

I've gota pretty big customer base now -I'm keeping my self busy, and I'm kinda suprised it took me so long....:)

Dude...you're scaring the hell out of me.

PCIT?
Cleared the burble?

You call it a PCIT and then describe a pilot chute hesitation.

You don't know the difference? A rigger? 525 jumps?

Student began his emergency procedures right as the bag left the container?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

PCIT?
Cleared the burble?

You call it a PCIT and then describe a pilot chute hesitation.

Excuse me - I'm being vague because I didn't want to go into great detail as to what the malfunction was.

The instructor was watching from the airplane and visually saw the pilotchute leave the container. Whether or not is was a pilot chute in tow, or a pilot chute hesitation, we don't know. We do know that the student looked over his shoulder, saw nothing, and initialed his emergency procedures imediatly. This would be describing PCIT.
HOWEVER, the main canopy was found out of the bag, slider hlafway down, relativly close the the freebag. This makes us think that deployment was initiated almost instantly before the student cutaway. He was not away of any snatch force or signs of the canopy opening, but he did exaclty what he was trained to do; count to five and check over his right shoulder. The JM from the aircraft did not see any signs of main deployment, but a blink of an eye he could have missed it easily.

Perhaps the reserve opening shifted the material in the continer around and allowed the main bag to release?

Perhaps the student, when checking his canopy, allowed the PC to clear the burble and begin deployment before he cutaway via an SOS handle.

I think both of these are 2 very likely possibilities which unfortunatly, we are lacking clues to figure out what really happened. I was just happy for the student, that he was able to do exactly what he was trained.

You don't know the difference? A rigger? 525 jumps?

Sir, what are you implying? :| Because I don't elaborate the cause adn explain it fully, you assume incompetency?

Jesus Christ dude.... What the fuck is wrong with you? Lighten up man. A pilot chute hesitation and a pilot chute in tow are similar. In all actuality a PCH is a PCIT until it deploys the bag. maybe with your vast experience of your 100000000 jumps you would have understood the concept of that by now, but I guess your reality and everyone elses is quite different.

Whatever you did on that one... keep doing it!:D Congrats!
I did have one 'twofer', a few years ago. For some reason, a jumpmaster allowed two students (delay status) to do a 'kiss-pass'. Both, took it too low and their FXC's fired! The DZO was a little upset because... I had just brought those two rigs back, that morning after inspecting and re-packing them.

Chuck

After 9 months of Rigging and about 85 Inspections & repacks, last weekend I had my first save from a Student on his second 10-second delay.

Now - I assume you pack your own rig...

I got as far as pealing my handle two weeks ago in a high G spin... It fixed itself on its own after I tried and gave up...

In the back of my mind I clearly thought as I was reaching for the handle, "Sh&t, I am tired and I don't want to have to repack this tonight. Why today?"

It was a better feeling than what I used to think, "god I hope my rigger packed it well."

Next time I might think, "Sh&t I packed this one too, I hope I did a better job on the second one than the first."

Good job and good job to the student to. None of us was under "that" trash, the student is walking, he (or she) did the right thing... Pops, lighten up.

Anyway...

Unstable,

My friend, ...so... yes, you got your beverage of choice from the jumper you saved, but you said the F-word... that would mean YOU owe a CASE OF BEER to the DZ!!!
;)

Be proud. You did a good job and that student will appreciate your work more and more as they progress through the sport. I have been rigging for 3 years and have 2 saves. Each save will give you more faith in your skills. My first save was the rigger who trained me, jumping a student rig that I had packed, while training instructor candidates. I don't think I'll see the bottle for that one though!!!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

F word.... BEER!

congrats shaun

Ya know Brian, arn't you jumping a reserve I did for you? Are you going to cutaway anytime soon?:)
Edited to add - Normally I wouldnt' say this, but given the analretentiveness of some of those who lurk this forum and who have 1000000 jumps, then YES, I AM COMPLETLY JOKING and I would NEVER wish a cutaway on anyone....:|

F word.... BEER!

congrats shaun

Ya know Brian, arn't you jumping a reserve I did for you? Are you going to cutaway anytime soon?:)

nah your packjob expired on me. besides your packjobs always smell like beer and pot... makes me wonder your mental state while you pack them.

;)

MB 3528, RB 1182

Be proud. You did a good job and that student will appreciate your work more and more as they progress through the sport. I have been rigging for 3 years and have 2 saves. Each save will give you more faith in your skills. My first save was the rigger who trained me, jumping a student rig that I had packed, while training instructor candidates. I don't think I'll see the bottle for that one though!!!